Join our zoo community

Exotic Amphibians and Reptiles in Australian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 15 Dec 2013.

1. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow thats so wierd to think about. At least Beared dragons are native, but leopard geckos and crested geckos which I have would be prohibited. The main reason I bought it up is that reptile and amphibians are likely the groups where zoos are most likely to work with/buy from private sellers in the US. So I guess thats not really an option in Australia.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Since when have they had those?

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Oh jeez I really don’t know , maybe 3 or 4 years

I know that this is irrelevant to what we’re chatting about but what do leopard geckos feel like

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Jul 2018
  4. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So a bearded dragon is pretty rough and a crested gecko pretty soft. A leopard gecko is somewhat in between these 2 species, so its not scaly feeling, but not soft at the same time. They are also pretty bumpy. Its so strange for me to think about Leopard geckos, being rare as I have 2 and you can buy them at almost every single pet store.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I live in Australia and some Americans think we are weird so asking you who lives in NC and I live in Australia . Thank you so much for the speedy reply to my question

Ps do you have a pic

6. Chlidonias

Are you sure you're not getting confused with their Uracoan Rattlesnakes, given that they very certainly have not been keeping Aruba Island Rattlesnakes for three or four years.

7. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Wildife hq has 4 baby rhino iguanas.

9. WhistlingKite24

Looking through the list, it seems like there are a few additions not mentioned that I can contribute. I thought it would be more convenient to condense all the additions into one post (most of the Facebook links didn't work so I added the date that each one was posted).

Cane Toad at Dreamworld and Currumbin (both personally seen this year).

American Alligator at D’Aguilar Wildlife (Facebook post on 24/4/19).

Aldabran Tortoise at Gorge (Facebook post on 10/10/18) and Shoalhaven (Aldabra Tortoises - ZooChat).

Star Tortoise at Australia Zoo (Australia Zoo - Reptiles), Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures (Indian Star Tortise - Wildlife - Hartley's Crocodile Adventures) and Symbio (Facebook post on 4/11/2018).

Leopard Tortoise at Shoalhaven (Baby Leopard Tortoise - ZooChat).

Radiated Tortoise at Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures (Facebook post on 16/6/19 and No Cookies | The Cairns Post).

Tokay Gecko at Perth Zoo (Facebook post on 27/8/19).

Gila Monster at Australia Zoo (Gila Monster (Heloderma suspectum) - ZooChat) and Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures (Gila Monster - Wildlife - Hartley's Crocodile Adventures).

Rhinoceros Iguana at Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures (Facebook post on 16/6/19) and D’Aguilar Wildlife (Facebook post on 29/7/19).

The Australian Reptile Park has one Argentine Black and White Tegu Salvator merianae left- the only one in Australia (confirmed with zoo and several Facebook posts).

Boa Constrictor at D’Aguilar Wildlife (Facebook post on 26/2/19).

Green Anaconda at Australia Zoo (Facebook post on 9/8/18).

Last edited: 2 Sep 2019
  10. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

as this is outdated I guess I’ll list some removals and additions. (only ones I’ve personally seen)

Melbourne Zoo-
    Rainbow boa and Kenyan sand boa, I didn’t know the zoo had and haven’t ever seen them or signage for them so I assume the zoo doesn’t have them.

Enerald tree boa is most likely gone too as I have not seen it for over 5 years.

Also haven’t seen the basilisk in over 5 years.

also no more rock rattlesnake

I have no idea about turtles and tortoises

New additions include

Mexican Cantil

I have no idea about turtles and tortoises

Everything else listed is still there to my knowledge

animal_expert01 likes this.
  11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

@Chlidonias they don’t have Aruba Island Rattlesnake, I got confused.

Chlidonias likes this.
  12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

A Blood Python at D Aguilar Wildlife named “ Lovely” great name!

Zorro and animal_expert01 like this.
  13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Snakes Down Under has been building a Komodo Dragon Exhibit.

Zoofan15 and Zorro like this.
  14. Yoshistar888

SEALIFE melbourne Aquarium no longer has Dyeing Poison Dart Frog.

15. Yoshistar888

As of my recent visit to the Melbourne zoo I can confirm the zoo no longer has California Kingsnakes and their Veiled Chameleon has most likely passed away

16. Chlidonias

I've updated the listings in the initial post, so they should now all be (more or less) correct. I have a feeling there may be some lesser-known reptile collections around the country with additional animals, so there may be a collection missing here and there. I also added in a number for a few species, where there is only one or two individuals left in the country.

I added in one new species, with Mexican Cantil at Melbourne Zoo - no idea where in the country those were hiding until now! And I have removed three species which have all died at the zoos which held them (Emerald Tree Boa and Rock Rattlesnake at Melbourne Zoo, and Black-lipped Cobra at Adelaide Zoo), although as with Melbourne's new Cantils it is possible those three species are elsewhere.

I added in D'Aguilar Wildlife as a new collection with four exotic species (American Alligator, Rhinoceros Iguana, Boa Constrictor, and Blood Python) and the Serpentarium Tasmania with five exotic species (Star Tortoise, Boa Constrictor, Green Anaconda, Reticulated Python, and Burmese Python).

Rainbow Boa (one female), Kenyan Sand Boa (two females), Californian Kingsnake (two males), and Veiled Chameleon (one male) are apparently all still kept [probably all off-show if you didn't see them, although I suspect the chameleon has indeed died]. The first three are not anywhere else in Australia so when they die that'll be it.

Rock Rattlesnake and Emerald Tree Boa are now deceased (both were the only individuals left in Australia to my knowledge).

Basilisk is also now deceased (there is now only one left in the country, a male at Taronga).

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  17. Yoshistar888

Damm I’ve never seen a rainbow boa, kingsnake or Kenyan sand boa at melbourne zoo. Rainbow boss are some of my favourite snakes so it’s a shame they are off show.

18. WhistlingKite24

A few more recent additions for the list - Green Iguana at D'Aguilar WIldlife and Komodo Dragon at Snakes Downunder Reptile Park and Zoo - both reported on their respective news threads.
    I again confirmed with the Australian Reptile Park that they house one Argentine Black and White Tegu (Salvator merianae). The email from the zoo:

19. Chlidonias

I had forgotten to add those in; I'll do that now.

Sorry, for this one I had totally overlooked that in your earlier post you were saying it was a different species - I thought you were just confirming that they had one left. When this thread was originally started, the Australian Reptile Park was listing as holding 2.2 Black Tegus Tupinambis teguixin. I'm guessing they have re-evaluated their animals.

The genus Salvator wasn't split from Tupinambis until quite recently (maybe a decade ago), and S. merianae was actually generally treated as a synonym - or, at most, a subspecies - of T. teguixin until about 20 years ago. So I guess the park was either using outdated source material, or just misidentified them in the first place and never realised until recently.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  20. WhistlingKite24

You don't need to apologise - it's a big job maintaining all these lists! :D