Join our zoo community

Exotic Birds in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 21 Apr 2014.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't think I've ever seen tragopan in Australia, even in zoos. If they are here I would be interested to know how they got them.

:p

Hix

2. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Today I received my copy of the long-awaited The Australian Bird Guide (Menkhorst, Rogers, Clarke, Davies, Marsack, Franklin), and here's what it has to say about the feral ostrich situation:
    Other noteworthy things:
    -Unexpectedly, the mute swan was included, despite the Avon River population apparently being heavily monitored to the point that the swans can hardly be called 'wild'
    -It is mentioned that escapee paradise shelducks have been sighted in Australia before, but it does not say where, or when
    -Unfortunately, the book says that there is a feral breeding population of Indian peafowl on Rottnest Island. As some of you probably know, almost all of the birds on the island were eradicated many years ago, and there is no way the island can be said to have a 'feral breeding population' now: Rottnest Island Wildlife | Peafowl

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I have been able to view the poultry forum now that I am no longer in Vietnam, and it does seem genuine on the face of it. Most of the people on the thread are looking at photos posted by Peacocks Australia on another (apparently secret) forum. Unless that breeder is simply doing a Sebbe and posting photos from elsewhere. I am intrigued by the imported "Through the proper quarrantine a few years ago as I read" comment.

4. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have heard of animals allowed through before simply because the officer dealing with the application simply made a mistake or was really not aware of what they were dealing with. So perhaps the import came through as "another breed of chook" or something similar. Anyway as they have been through quarantine and are hardly a feral risk there is no real biosecurity risk. As a pheasant fan it would be nice if a population was established in Australian aviaries.

5. Chlidonias

Those two posts were from August 2016. All four of the remnant species I mentioned are still around (I think!), and the situation for the penguin has unexpectedly improved. At that time there was just a single male penguin (at Taronga Zoo since 2006), but this year (2017) he has been joined by three females.

Of the other species, the two rheas are about 20 years old, the curassow almost 19 years old, and the flamingo somewhere over 70 years old.

6. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. Chlidonias

As noted by @CGSwans on this thread - Adelaide Zoo - So what happened to Greater??? - the last-remaining flamingo in Australia was put to sleep yesterday due to ill-health.

Here's a news article: Australia's only flamingo dies at Adelaide Zoo

8. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

9. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can you please elaborate?

10. toothlessjaws

Peacocks Australia is a phoney business that claims to breed pheasants and sells them exclusively through the forum. Only they have never done such thing and I reckon i've been keeping an eye on that forum for a decade. The claims of the species kept are absurd. If you question the legality of this, you are blocked from posting and taunted. I suspect its one person posing as multiple users with a legion or unsuspecting followers.

11. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Just for interest’s sake I received confirmation from Melbourne Zoo, that ‘Betty’ the razor-billed currasow (Australia’s last cracid) is apparently still on display, alive and well at the age of 20.

12. WhistlingKite24

I just recieved a response from Darling Downs Zoo saying they no longer have rhea- a real shame.
    She was on display during my visit in December 2017, so she must have died sometime during the year.
    It seems like we are down to one individual (Gorge confirmed they still have a rhea on display).

Last edited: 15 Dec 2018
    Jambo and animal_expert01 like this.
  13. WhistlingKite24

I found out some unexpected news...
    Taronga Zoo’s breeding pair of Andean condor now live at a private facility called ‘Feathered Friends’.
    Feathered Friends
    Article below:
    We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Chlidonias likes this.
  14. Chlidonias

"with the view to eventually release them back in the Andes"... o_O

15. Chlidonias

Anyone know if the other two females are still at Taronga then?

16. Bursuc

Bursuc Member

I’m not sure if Taronga still has both of the females, but one is definitely there. It was part of the bird show two weeks ago.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2019
  17. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

This seems extremely and ridiculously elaborate. Reminds me of the whole "private zoo in Myanmar" fiasco.

18. toothlessjaws

Its just a cheap website and a few accounts on a forum that maintain the illusion. If "Peacocks Australia" bred even a fraction of the amount of green peafowl and siamese firebacks they claim to breed, then they'd be plenty of other people owning them. Their isn't.

19. WhistlingKite24

This recent podcast released by Taronga a few months ago mentions that the zoo uses two sisters (a 7 year old and 13 year old) in the bird show. They talk about the condors for the first seven minutes of the interview.
    Rather confusingly the keeper say there are six condors in Australia...
    Extended Flight

Last edited: 17 May 2019
    Chlidonias likes this.
  20. Chlidonias

It may have been a slip of the mind. The only way there could be six is if Taronga bred an additional chick during 2018 (I think the last time I updated the condors was mid-2017).

Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.