Join our zoo community

exotic extinction looms in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Coquinguy, 11 Sep 2006.

1. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

just to let everyone know the report can be downloaded free from arazpa-its been on the home page since august and is a compelling and interesting read

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

artiodactyl numbers...

these numbers are a bit off, but i thought it might be ofinterest to you guys to see the rough (may be a little outdated) numbers of artiodactyl species we have in decent numbers here in australia. are they viable? depends on how inbred they are and the

numbers for mareeba/tippary antelopes not known and therfore not included...

giraffe 59
    hippopotamus 15
    oryx 33
    addax 28
    waterbuck 12
    eland 73
    barbary sheep 121
    himalayan tahr 56

worth noting is that there is also a polulation of some 32 springbok in NZ

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

The sprinbok are very inbred from what I hear. As you are well aware so are the giraffe, the next generation willbe interesting, now that they've included the rothschilds into the main group there doesn't appear to be any unrelated males. With so many himalyan Tahr (did you include the population at Alma?), it makes me wonder why they are a phase out species.

4. Coquinguy

hymalayan tahr

the only reason i can think of is that zoos that currently hold them in the future dont want them in their collection plan...does adelaide hold tahr? if they do only them and taronga currently have them and maybe tahr dont fit in to adelaides bio-climatic planning.
    in new zealand where they are feral it surely couldnt be too hard to integrate some into the zoo collections there when they get a bit inbred??? its the same case with hog deer, banteng and sambar here in australia. i thought that if things got really drastic here our zoos could always capture wild ones or exchange with private holders.

5. patrick

thats correct. indian antelope used to be feral in WA but have since died out. nonetheless they are held privately on certain game and shooting ranches in australia. makes me wonder why their is such concern about them being inbred. are all semi-captive animals in australia decended from zoo-bred stock?

i did include alma park zoos tahr in those figures.

6. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

wht r these ranches called as examples

7. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Glyn
    don't forget that Alma Park has a herd of Tahr. I don't know about their relatedness to the Taronga lot, but that makes two definate zoos.

8. Coquinguy

yeh i know about alma park zoo, but i guess i just hesitate a little with this place. and i wonder if the authors of the report did too??? the more i think about the 'going going gone' report the more i think the authors looked exclusively at major zoo collections and disregarded obtaining stock from these privately owned collections. for example, in the hunter valley is hunter valley zoo, who have blackbuck,chital, fallow deer and sambar. did the report factor there holding capacity in??? they dont belong to arazpa or list on isis.
    maybe there is hope for some ungulate species in the country.

9. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

I think the report was written for and about ARAZPA institutions, as it referred to all the animals available within the managed programs.

In almost all cases, non-ARAZPA institutions are not able to participate in managed programs. Often, the origins, and therefore the pedigrees of the animals in private hands is unknown, or confused at best, and this doesn't help improve the quality of the managed species.

10. Coquinguy

yeh, i guess that goes without saying but would the pedigree of many of the ungulate species really matter if it was only for display purposes and not for conservation? as weve concluded before ungulate conservation breeding programs wouldnt really work in this country unless quarantine laws were relaxed.
    taronga and western plains have sent primates to hunter valley zoo previously so there is some involvement at that level.

11. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

They've very likely only ever sent species that are not managed, or genetically surplus, or desexed animals. Species that are managed by ARAZPA cannot be sent to non-ARAZPA members without there being very special circumstances, and I doubt that the Hunter Valley Zoo fits the bill.

12. Zoo_Boy

its sad, but of recent times, zoos are jst breeding to supply other zoos, i am now hoping tht with the reloctaion of tarongas oryx to wpz, tht more breeding will take place, and this country contributes to ungualte re-intros again, apparently i was told there is a new effort within next year to get p horses back to wild again.

13. Zoo_Boy

14. patrick

shouldn't you be at school zooboy? :)

15. Zoo_Boy

also known as rusa zoo, i have been googling imaging, and some interesting pics, of well nothing, its not flash hot zoo, jst cages like most small zoos.

16. Coquinguy

zoo boy, its about twenty minutes from home, and i go there some times. es it used to be called rusa park zoo, and yes it run-down, but it was brought out by new owners in july who also own pet-shops on the central coast and in the future will add new species to the collection.
    for now there are
    dingoes
    koalas
    red kangaroo
    eastern grey kangaroo
    parma wallaby
    swamp wallaby
    pademelons
    rusa deer
    sambar deer
    chital deer
    fallow deer
    crab-eating macaque
    spider monkeys
    ostrich
    emu
    golden pheasant
    amherst pheasant
    green peafowl
    eclectus parrot
    cockatoo
    gang-gang
    black swans
    ring-neck pheasant
    king parrot
    lorikeets
    blue peafowl
    blue tongue lizrds
    red-belly black snakes

the DPI laid down a whole range of 41 improvements the zoo must implement to avoid being closed down. the new owners must have put these in place, including building a perimiter fence (how basic), etc etc.
    this zoo just goes to show how some people should never be allowed to open a zoo. it started as a private deer park and venison farm in the 1980s and has grown ad-hoc ever since. im hoping the new owners will help the zoo realise its full potential, maybe they need a bull dozer

17. Zoo_Boy

yea it's really a shame.

and pat, im on school hoildays, im at a private school so we break up like 2 and a bit weeks before every1 else