Join our zoo community

Exotic Mammals in Australian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 11 Jul 2015.

1. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Okay, thanks for this :)

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

following the death of their previous generic tiger in July (Jabiru96's post above) - National Zoo Bengal tiger Bakkar dies - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) - National Zoo now has two males from Dreamworld:

International Tiger Day: National Zoo in Canberra joins Sumatran tiger breeding program - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (the article says they are Sumatran but they are not).

3. Chlidonias

the female Pigmy Hippo at Melbourne has died, leaving only one female remaining in the country (at Taronga): Vale Petre | Zoos Victoria

4. Chlidonias

a couple more zoos have Maned Wolves from Altina now - two at Shoalhaven and one at Adelaide.

5. Chlidonias

and Altina has joined the zoos which hold White Rhinos.

Male Mtoto left Auckland Zoo yesterday, so should get to Altina today I guess.
    Rhino Mtoto ready to cross the Tasman

Before the end of the year, according to press articles and the forum, they will also have another male from Australia Zoo (Mango) and a female from Germany (Tato).

6. Chlidonias

7. Chlidonias

The last Greater Kudu in the country (a female at Werribee) appears to have died during this year, according to information I've been given. I have moved it to the "former species" section (the third post in this thread).

8. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I remember Dora was at Taronga in May/June 2002 and stayed until the new exhibit was ready at western plain. It was definitely 2002 not 2003 that I saw him. Same exhibit that poor Kua was later in then the male Black Rhino and now the Zebras.

p.s am extremely impressed with this list you've compiled its quite impressive not to mention insightful :)

lol in terms of Australias Lions they'd need to pay someone to do a genealogy report on their founders and all descendants hey

9. Chlidonias

I can't edit the thread at the moment (because of fewer character restrictions on the new forum), so some updates until then:

*Another elephant calf for Taronga's group.

*Three white rhinos now on display at Altina.

*Spider monkeys now at Queensland Zoo.

*The last Syrian brown bear in the country has died (at Melbourne Zoo).

10. Chlidonias

interesting, all the Taronga press releases I've seen say they obtained him in 2003. However I just checked the studbook and he actually arrived at Taronga Zoo from Nagoya in October 2001. Oddly they (Taronga) just gloss over in their media that the rhino was at Taronga Zoo for almost two years before being moved to Western Plains.

11. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Hunter Valley Zoo now has capybara and squirrel monkey.

12. steveroberts

hey were these the identified species of Gibbons up until the what late 1980s? I know that the zoos use to only identify certain species or something so I assumed these ten might have been the ones. Obviously I'm aware of species now identified as different and also subspecies but I wondered if this below would have been what that era considered the Gibbon species?

Agile Gibbon
    Mullers Grey Gibbon
    Black Crested Gibbon
    Silvery Gibbon
    Hoolock Gibbon
    Pileated Gibbon
    White-Handed Gibbon
    White-Cheeked Gibbon
    Kloss's Gibbon
    Siamang

13. steveroberts

I know i just dont get it. Why wouldnt they want to get the facts out there. I'd be pretty dam excited in their shoes to have a Greater One Horned Rhino on display.

14. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

They might have wanted to make it seem more exciting to people/media who didn't know he was already at Taronga - the headlines for his arrival at TWPZ would be more interesting, and more likely to get picked up by media, if they said "New rhino species imported to TWPZ" rather than "Rhino transferred from Taronga to TWPZ".

15. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would say that the black crested and white-cheeked came under the same name - crested gibbon Hylobates concolor until the split. Occasionally I have seen Silvery, Pileated, Agiles and Mueller's as subspecies underneath Hylobates lar, but it is pretty rare to lump so many distinct spp together. Otherwise you would be correct.

16. steveroberts

Syrian Brown Bear at Perth Zoo moved to Mareeba late 2003. Were in the last exhibit at PZ since 1988 and I think arrived at PZ in 1983 or maybe earlier?

17. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I went to Oakvale farm today and they now have three ringtailed lemurs. They arrived in September (according to Facebook) but not sure where.

18. steveroberts

Hey is anyone able to list what exotic (primarily) mammal species are the present focuses and breeding co-operation commitments (present studbooks held etc) between Australasian zoos and so forth. I'm aware of some like Sumatran Tigers, Western Lowland Gorillas,Common? Chimpanzees, Sumatran Orangutans, Snow Leopards?, 'African' Cheetah, 'African' Lion?, Painted Hunting Dogs, Nepalese Red Pandas? Sun Bears? White Cheeked & Silvery Gibbon, Southern White Rhinoceros? to name but a few? it seems like many others have been abandoned (Malaysian Tapirs as one recent example and Persian Leopards as another but from nearly two decades ago?). With all these great discussions i've read mostly focused on Aus/NZ related zoo projects and news and a lot of stuff with the Master Plans in discussion plus the farewells to the subspecies of Brown Bears that had a home in some ZAA zoos plus many others like Maned Wolves and Jaguars it seems (am aware that Jaguars although strikingly majestic and beautiful are not really endangered to my understanding).

Apologies if my sentences are incoherent and too digressive i tend to just write and send quickly lol. But back to the main point i know many knowledgable members i've been lucky enough to answer my many burning questions (am aware much of it has been nostalgic so would like to focus a bit more on present and future 'going ons' for ZAA institutions). Would like to get a better understanding of what direction it seems that these zoos intend to focus with individual exotic mammal commitments. It seems really sad as mentioned by at least a few other members (apologies for temporarily forgetting who) that the major zoos seem to have given up on Asian Tapirs due to diffulties including the blindness and conservative importation changes (is it true Bongo are an example of an animal that cannot be imported to Aus anymore??).

Anyway love to hear what everyone else thinks and knows about these present species commitments and whether they are they are looking to welcoming new endangered and vulnerable species to ZAA zoos in the near future :)

19. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hey Steve, on the ZAA website there is a list of current species in managed breeding programs ( Breeding | Zoo and Aquarium Association )

As for future breeding programs Adelaide zoo has included Sri Lankan leopards in their master plan, this may be a big step if other zoos get on board (I think I remember reading something about Darling Downs being interested in Sri Lankan leopards also).

Orana wildlife park (NZ) currently have 20+ Nyala imported from South Africa undergoing quarantine before they can go to other zoos in the region.

As for bongos there is a female from Singapore in quarantine in NZ (Wellington??) at the moment waiting for a transfer to Taronga.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Nyala are in quarantine at Wellington not Orana. The female Bongo will transfer from there to Australia now or next year