Join our zoo community

Exotic Species Living in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyjp, 24 Jan 2015.

1. J0nny666

J0nny666 Member

Most recent one that I've come across was a Fischer's Turaco in my dad's friend's garden in High Wickham

2. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I understand the evidence for a number of the feral herps being native is pretty thin on the ground. They tend to be found in very specific localities that obviously have very specific suitable microclimates, but beyond that the species cannot flourish. The tree frog's population is supposed to be extinct now, though obviously another may crop up. Don't believe there is any evidence that Pond turtles recolonised post-Ice Age.

Surprised nobody has mentioned eagle owls (not that I have seen them); the evidence suggests that they are almost certainly releases rather then Scandinavian migrants.

Of course Sika and Fallow deer, Wild boar (though previously native), European scorpion and Little owls are all exotic species too.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The Natural History Society of Northumbria, of which I am a member, published a book on the mammals, reptiles and amphibians found within the north-east of England - defined here as County Durham, Teesside, Tyne and Wear, and Northumberland.

In this book, mention is made of the fact that a small population of pine marten is known to exist in the area from physical remains, and that intriguingly, a number of these animals bear genetic markers for interbreeding with American Marten - presumably escapees from the fur trade.

This suggests that it is possible that some of the Martens in the northeast of England are in fact American Martens, or recent descendants of hybridisation events between escaped individuals of this species and individuals of the native taxon.

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had never heard that before. There is a strong link that British red deer, red fox and red squirrels are heavily mixed with continental European bloodlines when both were restricted to small populations historically (or maybe for hunting purposes?). Not sure why it was the three 'red' species! Polecats are almost certainly polluted with domestic ferret genes, just like Scottish/European wild cats are with domestic moggies.

5. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The wallaby colony in the Peak District may - just - be hanging on still, having been there since WWII.

A Yak escaped at the same time and lived wild for some years.

6. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Exotic.....

The St James' Park pelicans would have to do their 'roaming' on foot, as they are pinioned.

7. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think its interesting in particular with the ring necked parakeets that they seem to have started south east london/kent but they are heading north

8. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain I saw one up here in the West Midlands at Sandwell Valley, though it could always have been a recent escape.

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

One that nobody seems to have said yet is Mandarin Duck.

10. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

There were a few in South Manchester while I was living there just 3 years ago.

11. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The best thing would be to ask the group of very keen and knowledgeable RSPB volunteers in the bird hide if they've ever seen anything out of the ordinary. They're a friendly bunch and there nearly all day every day, keeping extensive records of sightings.

12. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I saw it about as far from the RSPB centre as you can get, just barely in the park towards West Brom. Quite a long way from there, and I was on the way back to West Brom to get the bus.

I did check the internet when I got home. Apparently they are present in the West Midlands. I forgot about this article, apparently they are London/Kent birds.
    BBC News - London parakeets found in Sandwell

13. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There has been one living in Singleton Park Swansea , South Wales , for a few years , it spends its time with the local jackdaws . I did see one flying over here a couple of years ago , not certain if it was the same one , the Park is about 7 miles away .

14. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

Indeed, if we were to count all the water fowl species it would be a very long list. Inverts and fish would also be quite a long list also.

In the topic of eagle owls, paradise wildlife park have a European eagle owl who was found about 10 years ago in Enfield eating the local cats!

15. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Now that I think about it, I do recall seeing either an eagle owl or a great horned owl that regularly visited the owl aviaries at Linton Zoo a couple of years ago.

16. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Well as of yesterday, we have a raccoon dog in the area of Chesterfield, as someone's pet raccoon dog (I kid you not) has got out and gone walkabout!

17. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Great Eagle Owl is a saga that will run and run. Personally I don't have a problem with them being here. They are in the fossil record, although that isn't confirmation of their having once been breeding birds. Like Little Owl, they are a species that was missing and probably does no real harm. Some might say that the Forest of Bowland's Hen Harriers probably have a more serious threat in the shape of an aristocrat drawing a lot of rent in Belgravia...

Canada Goose, Egyptian Goose, Common Pheasant and Red-legged Partridge are also the descendants of introduced birds. An in depth study of the impact of the Pheasant's impact on the UK's ecosystems is seriously overdue, IMHO. Around thirty million are released each year, a fact that some might link to the decline of our native Grey Partridge...

18. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Apparently there is at least one, presumeably from that same flock, that has been seen around the London Wetland Centre.

19. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes for many years this area has supported the largest single population of Ring-necks in the UK.

20. meriones

meriones Member