Join our zoo community

Exotics in Australia not being held at Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ZYBen, 28 Feb 2008.

1. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What didn't exist Ben?:confused:

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

That Mugga lane zoo or the dural place, you just said no!

Or do they not hold any primates?

3. Steve Robinson

Oh..............sorry:eek:

I meant that the former Mugga Lane Zoo does not have any old stock. As a matter of fact, most of the primates from there went to the lady at Dural and another lady out near Bringelly in western Sydney. The Bringelly lady eventually disposed of her primates to the Dural lady who still has the survivors of those animals - a quite comprehensive collection of aging primates for a private individual.

On the same subject - there is a bloke out Castlereagh way who has a heap of macaques [ including all the surplus Commons from Hunter Valley Zoo], there is a policeman south of Sydney who keeps macaques, a family at Inverell has a pair, I know of a number in Victoria.........they're everywhere!!!

Many of these people [and more] are holding these animals quite legally under the Non-Indigenous Animal Act in NSW but some of the ones in other States are a bit dodgy legally.

4. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Thanks steve,

Are they allowed to breed these animals?

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I just put some photos of the Japanese macaque enclosure in Launceston on the Gallery. They're in the "Other VIC Zoos" section because there's no Tasmania section

6. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

herpes anyone? ;)

7. Steve Robinson

Legally? NO!

8. Steve Robinson

And yet, despite the quite extraordinary number of the dreaded macaques kept [in some cases] in dodgy conditions, Herpes B has not become the scourge of the nation!

9. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah may have been Oraneg, or somewhere else. Every Year in Orange the main street is shutdown for an hour and a sleigh (sp?) carrying santa is pulled from the train station to one of the shopping centres by "his" reindeer, often the deer are left in the centre for the remainder of the day, sometimes more.

But I'm hopeless with deer I doubt think these are actual reindeer, But then as I said, I don't know. . . reindeer don't have spots at all do they?

10. Jarkari

Also I'd be guessing that the above transfers of animals happened before 1998??? It was legal to keep a number of primates, including, capuchins, macaques and spider monkeys up until 1998. after this date permits would only be issued to those who already owned the animals, they were even legally able to be sold in pet shops. Breeding is not permitted and obtaining new primates is also not permitted.

11. Steve Robinson

Jarkari - breeding is not permitted but transfers still take place regularly.

12. Steve Robinson

Reindeer

Years ago, when I was a regular on the NSW Exhibited Animals Advisory Committee, a lot of time was devoted to assessing a man who had a petting zoo and wanted NSWAg [now DPI] approval to exhibit "Santa's Reindeer" at Shopping Centres at Christmas.

The deer involved were Red Deer and, it turned out, he was quite good with them. They were eventually approved for that purpose by the Committee on the proviso that they were not used during the rutting season. As far as I know, he is still performing this service.

13. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

THanks steve

14. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

there used to be a woman who lived near me who had a pet macaque and a cockatoo. the pub she owned still has the two on its coat of arms...

Pump House Hotel

15. Jarkari

Thanks Steve, Was not sure about the second part (transfers) was some time ago I read that article.

16. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw canada geese for sale in the Weekly Times.

17. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

It's a shame there are so many import/export restrictions--I could make a fortune! We routinely have hundreds of Canada geese on the lake just outside the gate:D Seriously, they are a terrible nuisance here--they chase the visitors during nesting season, leave terrible messes everywhere, and in general are NOT my favorite animal!

18. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@Rookeyper: here in Canada there was a mass culling of Canada geese not that long ago that created a large public outcry...but in general they are loud, stinky birds that cause havoc whenever they land. The amount of feces that they leave behind is something to behold!

19. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most species of geese are loud, stinky and a nuisance except for the cape barren geese that live in the front yard of our holiday house.

20. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sounds like they have the same problems with Canadian Geese in NZ. I have heard of organized culls there to keep their numbers down.

I saw both Magpie and Cape Baren Geese today at Kyabram Fana Park and will put up a report.