Join our zoo community

Fair weather tripper

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by littleRedPanda, 13 Sep 2019.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I've been looking forward to another short trip to see some more Dutch/German zoos but clouds are threatening to spoil it a little.
    Looks a bit warmer down Paris way, so what other parks are down their apart from the 2(?) Paris zoos and Parc des Felins? As much as I would like a return to Zooparc de Beauval, I would aim to go only as far south as the capital. I mainly go for mammals and decent photography opportunities.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2019
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rainy days are the best time to visit a zoo and also the best for photography. That is my opinion and you can go wherever makes you happy (and Le Parc Des Felins is my favorite zoo on earth). But I think your logic is backwards.

3. littleRedPanda

I can be a bit backward, to be fair :D Maybe if I lived in a warmer/sunnier part of the world, I'd appreciate the cloud and rain more? However, I have now decided to continue with my original plan to include Eindhoven and Wuppertal.

4. littleRedPanda

I ended up going to the following:

Sunday - Pairi Daiza
    Monday - Plackendael
    Tuesday - Dierenrijk, Best Zoo, Zie Zoo
    Wednesday - Dortmund, Duisburg
    Thursday - Wuppertal, Krefeld
    Friday - Pairi Daiza

Pairi Daiza was absolutely packed on Sunday, but still very enjoyable, so I returned on the Friday when I expected it to be quieter (it was) and even more enjoyable (it was). The new areas for wolves, bears, puma etc are fantastic additions; I only saw one wolf in with the bears on Sunday, but three on Friday). Although I was disappointed to see the clouded leopard only having an indoor habitat (better than it's previous home, granted) it drew me to the bats, which are a great spectacle; on Sunday afternoon they were inactive, but Friday morning was relatively frenzied after food was put out for them. Also nice to see a couple of squirrel species for the first time in with them. The Javan Leopard was inactive on Friday, but I was fortunate to catch it exploring on Monday evening, although my determination to photograph it, resulted in a split in my trousers due to having a bulky lens in my pocket; that lead to me leaving a little earlier than I'd planned.

Like snowleopard, I much prefer the likes of Planckendael over Antwerp (and Blijdorp over Artis) but contrary to arizondocent's comments, I prefer a sunny visit to a grey day. My day here started under some cloud, felt a bit muggy and was very quiet compared to the previous afternoon at Pairi Daiza. I checked that I could revisit my car, rather than carry a second camera lens, then whizzed around the whole park to a see what was what and weigh up whether I might go to Olmense at some point before heading to my hotel near Dierenrijk. I also realised that I didn't really need the big lens, as there were not many species I was desperate to photograph close up or from great distance. I think on another day, I would have enjoyed the park more as it does have some really nice enclosures, but it was just too quiet. The only two species that really got my interest were the White nosed coati .... and the badger. If the Bonobo were out, I would have been much happier.

Dierenrijk's young Polar bears were my main target for this trip and after finding them, one of the twins raced towards me and hung around the window I was stood at alone for a good ten minutes. Unfortunately, I had chosen to leave the small lens in the car again, it was great being so close to the youngster with no-one around, but I couldn't photograph her(?) at that time. In the background, I could hear an increasing number of children taking over the park and I eventually decided to race back to the car for my other lens hoping to make it back to the bears before the kids reached them. I did, but only by a few minutes. The polar bears have decent, small, enclosures but can be a nightmare to photograph through the plexiglass, as with many of the large mammals here.

The kids eventually drove me away from Dierenrijk in the early afternoon, so I whizzed over to Best, then Zie zoos. A couple of first for me in the shape of the Japanese squirrel and White striped dorcopsis at Best zoo, but unsatisfactory cat enclosure made this the worst zoo for this trip. Zie Zoo has a lot of work going on and is definitely somewhere I'll return to in a couple of years. I do wonder if the bear enclosure is adequate for a family of five though and would like to see them get something bigger. There may be rarer species here, but I didn't actually see them on this visit.

Even though I'd booked a hotel in Wuppertal for Wednesday night, I left Eindhoven that morning with no clear plan. A photo on Dortmund's facebook of what I thought was an Oncilla kitten tipped the balance for me. It's only now that I've noticed their red panda kits had been emerging, with photos published on facebook. I actually quite liked Dortmund, especially the impressive Lynx enclosure, but on realising I was again spending time watching a badger, I wondered if it had enough for me stay the rest of the day. Luckily I noticed one of the masked civets poking out next door and caught a few photos of it. As with the bonobo at Plackendael, the Orangutans here did not come out, which would have entertained me. The big cats have quite small, difficult to photograph enclosures, while the Oncillas remained tucked away completely.

As Duisburg was open until 7pm, I decided to head over there around 1:30 specifically to see the Baby that I'd ignored on my previous visit .....

Brum and snowleopard like this.
  5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for posting your itinerary, and if you were so inclined then a mini-review of each zoo would be appreciated. ;) I would be especially interested as I just visited all of those zoos a few months ago.

6. littleRedPanda

I think you covered everything and are much more thorough than myself :D I'll try and surmise at the end, with a best and worst, but there is a lot at some zoos I bypass.

So far on this trip, I hadn't taken nearly as many photos as I had in the past, but found the challenge of getting clear pictures of the river dolphin to be quite inspiring. There were only a handful of people in there at any one time, whereas on my last visit, the hall was very busy. It was very relaxing just watching but also fun. I also spent time trying to get photos of a Tasmanian devil racing around it's enclosure, as I had on my visit and there were very young Coatis to interest me too, as I hadn't seen them so small before. The Western woylie were a first for me, but I did not manage to spot the Paca. I eventually took a stroll over the other side to remind me of the slightly depressing monkey/ape house and see the tigers. I remember thinking too before that the Wild dogs had a grim enclosure, but I think they are being replaced by Peccary now? A nice revisit, but would have been much better without all the work going on around the lions, bears and clouded leopards.

I nearly visited Wuppertal a couple of years ago and then after the fuss over Bili the bonobo, I was planning a trip in July with a friend but I didn't make it. It's probably been said before, but if you struggle to get around Dudley Zoo, then Wuppertal is not for you as the slopes can be quite challenging. The monkey/ape situation could do with some improvement in my opinion, but for me the Polar bear exhibit fully deserves the criticism it gets. When I reached the top of the hill and viewing post overlooking the Lions sections, I couldn't help but wonder how much could be sacrificed for a half decent Polar bear exhibit; do the lions really need all that space to sleep? The tigers, brown bears and the dhole have rather nice natural spaces, with clear views if they are out and about, while I was left scratching my head over the snow leopard exhibit; from looking in the gallery, I now know it was an aviary in the past. Just looking back at snowleopard's review again, I realise I completely missed a bunch of cats, including the Temminck’s! How annoying! I almost missed the chacoan mara and baird's tapir as it looked closed on my first pass, but I managed to catch them before leaving.

I'm not sure why I decided to go Krefeld, other than it closing at 7pm.

Brum and snowleopard like this.