Join our zoo community

Zion Wildlife Gardens Family Tree/Lineage

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Amy Smith, 1 Nov 2021.

1. Amy Smith

Amy Smith New Member

Hi all.

I need some help with some information regarding Zion Wildlife Gardens/Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary's big cats.

I am creating family trees for the big cats for myself *not for profit or anything I just like to do this* and i vaguely know some information from the tv series but I can't remember every family member that was born within the series?

I'm not here to make people like the series or Craig as that is your own opinions but if people could help me this would be great.

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have compiled a list of all the lions at Kamo here:

Australasian African Lion Population

It lists their names, DOB and parentage (if known).

Re. lineages. Shania (now deceased) came from Paradise Valley Spring. She was born there in 1994 to Suzy (grandmother of Luca), so Shania’s offspring at Kamo are related to the Paradise pride.

Another of Suzy’s offspring (Toby) was sent to Orana Wildlife Park and all their current lions descend from him.

3. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One show I did see some years ago showed a white male cub that was imported from South Africa that was born to a pair of normal colored lions!

Zoofan15 likes this.
  4. Zoofan15

That was Gandor (now deceased). He bred with a tawny female to produce 2.1 cubs in 2006. Two of them are still alive:

1.0 Abdullah (31/01/2006) Gandor x Shikira
    0.1 Cleo (31/01/2006) Gandor x Shikira

Another 1.2 white lions were imported in 2004.

Zorro likes this.
  5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had read some time ago that he was a huge lion but no idea as to his size!

Zoofan15 likes this.
  6. Zoofan15

I vaguely recall some reference to his size as a cub. The plan was to import Shakira as a companion for Gandor in quarantine and a future mate for Zion at the park. Gandor and Shakira became too closely bonded to be separated, so Zion’s line will end with the death of his last four elderly siblings.

Zorro likes this.
  7. Amy Smith

Amy Smith New Member

Didn't Gandor and Shikira have three cubs instead of two?

8. Amy Smith

Amy Smith New Member

Thank you. That shows some of the ones still alive but it doesn't show the ones who are deceased such as Aslan and Narnia aka Savannah's brother and sister?

If someone could help with the deceased lions as well as the white lions and tigers it'll help a lot

9. Zoofan15

Yes, the third was a male named Tchaka (or some variation of that name) and he died sometime ago.
    I don’t know the DOB of deceased lions or tiger as only the living cats are listed on their website. I’d suggest contacting the zoo yourself or going through their many years of Facebook posts - which mention when cats were celebrating a birthday etc.