Join our zoo community

Favorite Bull Elephants in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Mr.Ivory, 19 Oct 2021.

1. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

Hello People of the world, this is kind of a random thread but I personally would like to know some of the members favorite bulls elephants around the world. In zoo's of course.

My personal favorites Part: 1

1.0 Nikolai (Tusko x Kitty) 1993-05-02 he has sired a total of 18 calves, he is beautifully proportioned and looks like an exact carbon copy of his late sire Tusko. But I also like for him calm and gentle personality even when in musth, he is also an excellent father being very patient with his offspring
    {image from Pinterest removed}

1.0 Mekong 1982-00-00 He is a very handsome male his tusks are very long and look very similar to that of a mammoth and also a good amount of depigmentation that is very pleasing to the eye. Source: Knies Kinderzoo: Homepage

[​IMG]

1.0 Chamundi (Ganesha x Yashoda) 1992-05-25 I love him for his appearance. You can definitely tell at first glance (If you know your captive elephants) that he is definitely Yashoda's son. Source: Log In or Sign Up to View

[​IMG]

1.0 Gajendra 1993-00-00 He is very much a bull that performs his duty as a breeding bull well, all of his offspring look very much like him, especially Ludwig. Source: Tierpark Hellabrunn

[​IMG]

1.0 Upali (Maxi x Ceyla Himali) 1994-11-14 He is the perfect mix between his parents looking very much like his late sire Maxi but also holding true to his mothers Sri Lankan roots he also has a very calm personality and is great with cows and calves.

1.0 Tonsak 1998-00-00 There is just something about him that I love. He is beautifully proportioned, not being too bulky and not being too lanky, in my mind he is a very handsome bull. Source: An Introduction To An Elephant Training Program - Zoospensefull

[​IMG]

1.0 Thisiam (Siam x Kaveri) 1998-05-04
    He is the son of the legendary Saim what's not to love about him he is already the same size as his late father and may even surpass him for his age he already has long thick tusks. Image by @Sarus Crane

[​IMG]
    (Mekong in the background)

1.0 Thai (Hussein x Thura) 2004-11-26 He reminds so much of his late mother Thura with his ear shape, but he has his fathers body shape and tusk structure. Source: Pittsburgh Zoo to spend $2.2 million on elephant breeding facility

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Oct 2021
  2. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Some of my personal favorites from the US are the late Ranchipur of San Diego, Dahlip of Miami, and his son Spike at Smithsonian. Hank from Columbus is also a very impressive bull.

StoppableSan and Mr.Ivory like this.
  3. Mr.Ivory

I am planning to add Hank, and Spike in part 3, and Ranchipur will be in a sort of hall of fame section with other legendary bulls like Radza, Dahlip, Chieng Mai, Hussein , Thong Law, Maxi and Onyx aka Big Mac

Last edited: 19 Oct 2021
    IndianRhino likes this.
  4. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I dont know its name but there's an elephant in yokohama's kanazawa zoo that have HUGE tusks.

Dr. Wolverine likes this.
  5. ThatOneZooGuy

ThatOneZooGuy Well-Known Member

Gotta love Denver’s oldest bull, Groucho mostly because he is absolutely gigantic, and he also needs his tusks trimmed down giving him a unique look.

6. Mr.Ivory

Just a a heads up part 2 will feature African elephants

7. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Mr.Ivory could you include the name of the zoo's where they are kept, thanks.

8. Mr.Ivory

Sure, Nikolai lives at Munster Zoo, Mekong at Knie Kinderzoo , Chamundi lives at Pairi Daiza, Tonsak lives at the Kolmården Zoo, Gajendra lives at Tierpark Hellabrunn, Upali at Parc Le Pal, Thisiam lives with Mekong at Knie Kinderzoo, and Thai lives at the Zurich Zoo

Ned and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  9. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

My favourite elephant is the late Landa of Pretoria Zoo, he died last year after 36 years at the zoo, he was an impressive specimen, always so curious, he would approach the guest and reach out to them with his trunk. He will be dearly missed.

[​IMG]

StoppableSan and csartie like this.
  10. csartie

csartie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My favorites are in my username! :D Csar, Artie, and by happy accident well after the fact, Louie, at the North Carolina Zoo! Of those Artie is my favorite. No particular reason, just pure bias from them being at my home zoo and the only bulls I've ever seen in person. (Except Louie, who eluded me last time... :rolleyes:)
    His name is Bon! Absolutely stunning animal and one of my favorites as well, even though I know very little about captive Asian elephants. You can't not admire him!

11. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's great, interesting to know, thanks

Mr.Ivory likes this.
  12. Mr.Ivory

Your welcome

13. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Fellow African Elephant lover, I see! Since the last Asian Elephant in South Africa died in 1980 I've never gotten to see this species, Even if I had I'm sure I'll still prefer Africans with their gigantic ears and their overall manner, How can you not absolutely adore them!

csartie likes this.
  14. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I appreciate Winner, Who arrived from Israel (forgot which zoo) siring three female calves for the Izmir wildlife park. I do hope that his mate Begüm is the same subspecies as him. That would make the Izmir herd a valuable herd imo.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. Mr.Ivory

Winner is the son of Motek and Warda so his family line is very over represented, Winner came from Ramat Gan, and Winner is of the same subspecies as Begüm.

16. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bummer, I thought Begüm, being a founder could have helped the European population.

17. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sarus Crane, csartie and Tim May like this.
  18. Mr.Ivory

csartie likes this.
  19. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree with "Dassie rat".

The male Asiatic elephant "Siam", with very impressive tusks, was definitely my favourite zoo elephant; I was fortunate enough to see him many times in Vincennes Zoo (Paris) during the 1980s and 1990s. I've subsequently seen his mounted skin in the Paris Zoology Museum (Grande Galerie de l'évolution).

Of the elephants I've seen, "Dahlip" in Miami is probably my second favourite after "Siam".

Male Asiatic Elephant; Miami Metrozoo; February 2009 - ZooChat

Last edited: 19 Oct 2021
    Sarus Crane and csartie like this.
  20. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

My Favorite Elephant Bull
    1.0 Sabu 1988-00-00 is my favorite elephant bull. He is an Asian Elephant that lives at the Cincinnati Zoo where unfortunately he has only produced two calves which both have past away. He has very nice tusks, very majestic, and is very friendly to staff and guests. My favorite thing about him is that sometimes I go to the zoo and say hello to him, he will walk over to me and do a little rumble. Nearby guests always think I am the son of one of the elephant keepers because of this. His favorite food is jellybeans and he loves to play with barrels. One more fun fact about him is he will only swim in the pool if it is 90 F or above because he does not like cold water.
    upload_2021-10-19_16-29-25.jpeg
    Image Source: https://twitter.com/cincinnatizoo/status/1279807924219584512

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Oct 2021
    csartie likes this.