Join our zoo community

Favorite "Repeat" Animals

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Shellheart, 15 Sep 2017.

1. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've been wondering, since many people on ZooChat have been to a great many institutions, what's one species that you never grow tired of seeing?

2. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

Meerkats (just joking)

To be honest, I don't think that there is any species that I ever grow tired of seeing. Despite how common they are in UK I never grow tired of seeing spectacled caimans as they are one of my favourite crocodilians.

3. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

I never get tired of seeing Big Cats which maybe obvious considering they are one of the main stars that zoos often exhibit but I just love looking for them in the enclosure and watching them especially when they are active or it is feeding time.

4. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can't think of any animals I get tired of. I'm certainly always up for tigers and macaws! Sumantran tigers are especially lovely but I'm down for any tiger.

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting question. I think that the animals you see at every zoo can get boring unless they are displayed in interesting ways, in mixed exhibits or with unusual exhibit design. Species that I see often but which I still particularly enjoy include Indian rhinos, amazon parrots, hyacinth macaws, Komodo dragons and all the great apes.

6. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I'll be honest and say I don't pay much attention to ring tails or meerkats unless they are doing something particularly interesting - but animals I never grow tired of seeing would be bears and tigers.

7. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Elephants and hoofstock. Although truthfully I can't think of any animal I don't like seeing.

8. Remuel

Remuel Member

Komodo Dragons and Snakes.. it will never grow tired of seeing them again and again in any zoos...

9. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have little interest in seeing lemurs at this point and often skip them if the area is busy. Not a fan of sloths either (I'm a terrible millenial).

My favorites are cheetahs and any pinniped, I can sit and watch them for hours. I happen to love the meerkats at Philly, as well :)

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Reptiles

11. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hippos. I'm always disappointed with zoos that doesn't have them.

Okapi Lover likes this.
  12. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I’m a huge fan of Waldrapp ibis. Couldn’t get enough of ‘em in Europe.

FunkyGibbon and Brum like this.
  13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I’m like that to any reptile lol

14. CloudPardus

CloudPardus Well-Known Member

Reptiles,African Hoofstock and Carnivores if I have to choose one out of the three it’ll be African Hoofstock especially if they are in large expansive enclosures where they have big space to roam around,I can stay there for hours watching them

15. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Aardvark ,of course. Although I have only seen them once.

16. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All cats make me happy regardless of what they're doing :) Although I'm more drawn to small cats as I don't see them as much. I like carnivorans in general, and canids, hyenas and viverrids (the latter two admittedly being less common) will always attract me as well. Red pandas, too. Common as they are they're always stunning charmers to me.

I always appreciate ungulates. Okapi are always winners to me of course! I don't see how anyone could get bored of giraffes, they're always spectacular. Antelope and to a lesser extent deer always draw my eyes for a while, as do bovines and pigs... Honestly I could go to a zoo featuring exclusively hoofstock and be happy for hours.

I'm not a huge primate person but I always enjoy watching great apes for a while. Gibbons also regularly charm me with their acrobatics and calls.

Other common species rarely if ever bore me either. Depending on where I am they may be overlooked over less common species but I'm always down to visit meerkats, ring-tailed lemurs, ratites and the rest of the 'usual crew'. If there's an exception I guess it'd be waterfowl?