Join our zoo community

Favorite Star Wars Movie:

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by LowlandGorilla4, 10 Nov 2020.

1. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even when Ford, Fisher and Hamill were just brought in/came back for nostalgia/money, they left the other actors behind (not only in comparison with Episodes I-III, but also in Episodes VII-IX). Or in the translated and slightly modified words of Highlander: "Es kann nur diese drei geben":D:p
    I mean, wasn't Hamill gesture, when the troops of the new order shooted at him (or rather his hologram), iconic? That was as cool as it gets!
    However, I must confess that Christopher Lee and Samuel L. Jackson did a good job too. But I can't find "wooden" acting in one of the main characters in the sequels (only an annoying one in the person of Adam Driver, when he was showing a deviant behavior like a little child after Rey escaped - that was so embarrassing and Darth Vader must have rotated in its grave for shame).
    As for silly CGI characters: Jar Jar Binks is voted in many rankings as one of the most annoying characters in the film history ever, mostly on place No 1. A "glory/credit" none of the CGI characters in the sequels has reached so far afaik (= if I did not oversee a ranking).
    Regarding "Awakening" and "The Force is Female": These are story related points and I already wrote that I'm entirely with you here (Although some may say that the "unsullied conception of the force" as in the prequels is as weird as the new ideologies);)

GiratinaIsGod likes this.
  2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

... which is even sadder, as it underlines the weakness and lack of coherence of the general cast.
    It would have been even cooler if it had been him in person, and if he had not been the grumpy incompetent hermit before.

Rankings, Carole Baskin(s) . Several of the new creatures were just as cringeworthy, like that hideously incompetent Hodo thing played by Laura Dern.
    The prequels at least tried to tell a (coherent?) new story; the sequels' only attempt at that (Episode VIII) failed miserably, and the rest was just grave-digging for nostalgic pity, mixed with wokeness.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2020
    zoomaniac likes this.
  3. Batto

Yeah, the Midi-Chlorian concept was... weird. It's a bit like the Highlander franchise that you have mentioned: the less you explain and the more you keep mysterious, the better, at least on this behalf.

zoomaniac likes this.
  4. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This clip is great!! :):):D Thanks for sharing.

(If it had been Luke/Hamill in person, it would have been another reason for some to cry: How unrealistic! And I think that you share my opinion that specially the sequels have already enough of such moments. Just remember when the bombs "drop/fall" from a rebel ship down to a ship of the new order - in the weightless space!!!!)

Batto likes this.
  5. Batto

You can't please everyone. However, I'm pretty sure that the great majority of fans would have appreciated if one of their childhood favorite characters had been given a more dignified, capable and simply badass treatment. Instead they got a miserable green milk drinker whose motivation and behavior are at odds with the Luke Skywalker of old. Well, Rian Johnson wanted to oppose any set expectations. And surprise! it didn't work out.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2020
    zoomaniac likes this.
  6. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Can The Mandalorian count as one episode? Also, how can we discuss this here without spoiler warnings? Also, the Fallen Order game.

7. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

My ratings are

1.the empire strikes back
    2.return of the Jedi
    3.rogue one
    4.revenge of the sith
    5.a new hope
    6.attack of the clones
    7.solo
    8.the force awakens
    9.the phantom menace
    10.the rise of skywalker
    11.the last Jedi

Also, can I just say that the tv shows are MUCH better than any of the Disney movies (besides maybe rouge one). I always felt the characters and stories of the shows are much more interesting than any of the sequel trilogy. The stories also are more cohesive than the newer movies, and give good context for later movies. For example, the clone wars tv show makes the prequels and most of the characters have depth and feel more alive.

8. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you on the TV shows, the Mandalorian was stunning!

LowlandGorilla4 and Dhole dude like this.
  9. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I watched Return of the Jedi again today whilst drinking bottomless brews and eating Christmas stuff. It really is a brilliant film and the characters in Jabba's Palace look great, better than many modern CGI more recent films. It has a good dark side to it as well, like Empire Strikes Back.

PS - There is a book called 'Tales from Jabbas Palace' which is really worth a read for any hardcore fans, it's a compilation of short stories about the characters we see in the film.

10. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

The orginal movies are masterpieces of cinema history (return of the Jedi mabey not a amster piece)........

The prequel movies are so bad that they are bad (mabey besides revange of the sithm it was ok) and the sequel movies are just bad and borring.

Rogue One is good and Solo..... we don't talk about Solo

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  11. CheeseChameleon1945

I personally was alright with solo.
    Of course it wasn't going to be amazing, and of course they won't be able to make an exact clone of Harrison ford for young Han, but I felt like for what they did and for the effort to do it I feel like it turned out in a decent, fun, and solid movie that may not be entirely necessary but was harmless all the same.
    Prequels just get a bad rap, but I may be bias simply because of nostalgia for the movies when I was younger. Thats an entirely different discussion.

Just my thoughts.

LowlandGorilla4 likes this.
  12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Guardians Of The Galaxy is the best one by far... ;):p

Seriously though, best is probably Empire but I don't really have strong opinions either way. Phantom Menace was terrible though, and I'm still yet to watch Rise Of Skywalker, Solo (properly) and Rogue One.

The Mandalorian is bloody amazing though, probably the best SW property around... Well until next December at least! ;)

TNT and CheeseChameleon1945 like this.
  13. CheeseChameleon1945

Let's hope. :(

Brum likes this.
  14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have only seen the first seven but Empire will always be the best for me, followed by New Hope and Return of the Jedi. Sith was the best of the prequels, 1 and 2 were awful!

LowlandGorilla4 and boro745 like this.
  15. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Forgive me if I'm taking the thread a bit off topic, what scene do you think is the best in the series? For me, it's the Battle of Hoth. The music is done so well as are the visuals.
    The Empire Strikes Back: The Battle of Hoth - YouTube

On the topic of Empire Strikes Back, is there anyone here who saw it in the theater and got to see the reveal Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father? I would have loved to have seen that in the theater before that was common knowledge. It was before I was born so I missed out on that experience.

16. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Empire was the first fiim I saw and I saw it in the cinema in 1980 when released in the UK. I first saw new hope on TV then return of the Jedi in cinema in 1983

17. CheeseChameleon1945

Well, Some spoilers for everyone now. :p
    But seriously, I would have had no Idea about that reveal if it wasn't passed on throughout every kid in first grade, since they would be playing "imaginary star wars" all the time and it was not that easy to not overhear them. :p

18. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

One of my fondest memories growing up was going somewhere (I'm not sure where, I was probably only 6 years old) but thinking it looked like the Naboo Palace hanger from the Phantom Menace and having an imaginary star wars duel. Good times back before I became insecure and began to care what people think. On a similar note, anywhere I was that had space to run and/or climb I pretended I was some animal until I was probably 10

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  19. PAKMan

PAKMan Well-Known Member

1. Return of the Jedi (yes, I'm one of the rare people that enjoys this one over Empire! But both are fantastic movies)
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. The Last Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. The Rise of Skywalker (yes, I know it's a mess, but I still enjoy it)
    8. Rogue One
    9. Attack of the Clones
    10. The Phantom Menace (I know many people enjoy these movies, but I saw this in the theater when I was 10 and was so bored during the end of the second act I asked my mom if we could go. My feelings haven't changed much since)
    11. The Clone Wars Movie (people tend to forget about this one, but it was theatrically released)

Still have not seen Solo.

20. ZooTripper365

ZooTripper365 Well-Known Member

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. A New Hope
    5. Revenge Of The Sith
    6. The Last Jedi
    7. Rise Of Skywalker
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. Phantom Menace

I'm not including the spin off movies as they aren't part of the proper 9 film lineup. A lot of these movies are ranked here for me for sentimental reasons. I know that most people would say that Revenge Of The Sith is a better movie that The Force Awakens, but I don't for personal reasons. The Force Awakens was the first star wars movie my dad took me to see at the cinema, and I loved it!!!! So that's just a heads up if my list is a little off from the general consensus.