Join our zoo community

Favourite David Attenborough documentary

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by carl the birder, 11 Apr 2019.

1. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

after starting to watch the new our planet on netflix. i begin to wonder what my favorit is
    dont get me wrong all of them are amzing but mine is probebly planet earth2.
    but what about you

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't watched Our Planet, but I hear it focuses more on climate change than on the animals. Is this true?

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I don't think it focuses more on climate impact etc than the animal subjects, but environmental issues are maybe mentioned more than a lot of documentaries.

carl the birder and birdsandbats like this.
  4. carl the birder

yes in somme ways. but most of the time the animals are in foukus but somtimes it has envirometnal in it as well

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My favourite series is probably "Life Of Mammals" and the episode that stands out most is "Omnivores".

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

[​IMG]

7. carl the birder

i also like relaly life of birds but have only sen once. i was on a air plane so that past time

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My favourite is probably Blue Planet 2, the quality of shots and the sometimes surpriding subjects really make it stand out.

9. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Attenborough in Paradise :)

carl the birder likes this.
  10. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It's not animals, but my favourite has to be The Private Life of Plants, very closely followed by The Life of Birds. The Life of Birds soundtrack is also one of my favourite musical scores too.

11. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My favourite is probably Planet Earth, the film-making was extremely high quality, and the behaviors captured in the show were incredible.

Matt G and carl the birder like this.
  12. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Good question!

While I thought the images/cinematography in Planet Earth II were exceptional, I felt it was a touch short and light on information. Especially compared with the original Planet Earth.

Like a lot of Americans, I suspect I came late to Attenborough's work. Thanks to home video and Netflix I think I've seen the bulk of his more recent output. I've watched Wild China at least a dozen times, but that doesn't count since he didn't narrate it. So I would have to say either The Hunt or David Attenborough's Natural Curiosities. I've been especially interested in the history of zoology lately, so the later might edge out for the win.

13. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Definitely the birds of paradise docu... "And there he is, Wilson's bird of paradise. He got his own fashion gimmick.." I'll never forget these phrase of this exceptional man

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't think he was involved with Wild China at all. The BBC has always put out other natural history series that are not Attenborough-related at all.

15. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

And they almost always seem like lesser affairs.

16. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

My favorite david Attenborough documentaries are the Life of Intervertebrates, Life of Reptiles and Amphibians, Life of Birds and Life of Mammals and Last but Not least i Love the continent series and the hunt.

Matt G and carl the birder like this.
  17. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think my favourite is The Hunt, followed closely by Blue Planet 2, and then in third probably Dynasties, which was really great despite being quite short. I liked the new format, although it meant it focused more on famous species and not much by the way of quirky, little-known taxa.
    Just running through a list of the ones I have watched in chronological order of their release dates:

Life on Earth: Liked this one a lot when I was a kid and watched them almost on loop at times. It's a shame the cameras weren't developed enough to convey the behaviour in greater detail because some of it was astounding.
    The Living Planet: Again, quite old, but some great sequences and probably my favourite when I was a child.
    The Trials of Life: Another great one that would have been welcome round about now with better quality of footage. Especially remember the chimpanzees hunting the colobuses because it spooked me a bit...
    Life in the Freezer: I was obsessed with Antarctica for about a year due to this one. I made a pretty extensive school project on it, with illustrations and maps and all, and drawings of all the seal and penguin species. Watched it when I was 8 or 9.
    Private Life of Plants: Going into this one I was kinda skeptical, as I was now 11, but I actually really liked it, although it didn't begin an interest in plants as the previous one did.
    Life of Birds: Also one of my favourites, though not enough to engross me in birds, I was too far down the rabbithole with felids. Some fantastic sequences, especially the lyrebird sequence, which was rather funny.
    The Blue Planet: Got really interested in orcas after this, but otherwise kind of washed over me. I don't know why, but I preferred Blue Planet 2 than its prequel. Probably the greater variety of organisms depicted, better camera shots and stronger conservation message.
    Life of Mammals: The series that sparked my interest in felids again. I absolutely loved the 'Meat eaters' episode, the omnivores one was great as well, and 'Food for Thought' was also memorable.
    Planet Earth: Possibly the most famous of them all until a few years ago, I really loved Planet Earth, with all the different ecosystems. I think this was the peak of my interest in wild animals, because I had just started to use the computer in earnest. It wasn't my favourite though, although I continued to watch clips from it on the now non-existent BBC Wildlife website for a while after.
    Life: Especially liked the bowerbird, humpback whale and grebe sequences from this series, and I think I must have watched the mammal and bird ones in their entirety at least 7 times each. My favourite until The Hunt.
    Frozen Planet: One of the less memorable ones for me.
    Africa: Liked this especially due to the long leopard sequence involving a juvenile repeatedly falling out of a tree :D
    Life Story: I remember two sequences from this one more than any others: the kangaroo fight and wolves chasing a bison mother and her calf. The latter was more nail-biting than the tensest of the sports matches, I have been trying in vain to find it for a while now on Youtube but can't.
    The Hunt: I think this series automatically qualified itself as my favourite by beginning the entire series with the most astonishing leopard hunt sequence ever made bar none:

It solidifies its position with an amazing orca hunt, tiger hunt sequences, possibly the best polar bear hunt ever filmed: BBC One - The Hunt, In the Grip of the Seasons (Arctic), An aquatic stalk as well and to cap it all off, the most badass hare in existence: BBC One - The Hunt, In the Grip of the Seasons (Arctic), The Hare and the Arctic Wolves.
    Planet Earth II: I don't think it quite lived up to the hype before it, but still an amazing series. The snow leopard sequence was really nice, and although I was disappointed by the lack of leopards :p, it was great all round.
    Blue Planet II: The best underwater documentary ever made, without a doubt. Only topped by The Hunt on my list, I especially loved the Antarctic sequences, the enthralling octopus sequence where it disguises itself to fend off Pyjama sharks and the whale shark sequence.
    Dynasties: Really nice, I really felt a connection with the animals which can't be felt in the others generally due to generally short sequences where names are not divulged. I especially liked the lions one despite the fact that I'm not a great fan of lions generally - it was probably the most thrilling one with some really interesting behaviour at times. Occasionally the anthropomorphism was cringe-worthy, but mostly great filming.
    Our Planet: Only watched these ones once due to the fact that I don't have Netflix at home. Great, with some shocking scenes on the climate change front, but still focused on the animals. Don't really know what to think of it if I'm honest.
    Seven Worlds - One Planet: A very striking series, often with lots to say on climate change, but still keeping the sequences novel and intriguing. Especially like the Pygmy three-toed sloth sequence.

18. The_melford_manatee

The_melford_manatee Well-Known Member

My favourite is either Seven Worlds One Planet or Blue Planet II.It may be partly because both of these are relatively recent so I have the best memories,but I also have reasons to like them both.

With Blue Planet II,it is because of the great variety of animals and one particularly standout episode,Green Seas.That episode was set mainly in one of my favourite environments,kelp forests,and inspired my love for Sea Otters.

With Seven Worlds One Planet,it is because rather than randomly jumping between animals,it looks at animals on single continent and uses them to show the diversity that one single continent can have.It has a very impressive variety of animals as well.After watching it,I designed many Fantasy Zoos based on the animals and the environments that I saw depicted on the documentary.

After those two it will be Dynasties.The Hunt and Blue Planet I were also very enjoyable.I watched a bit of Our Planet and didn’t really enjoy it.The focus on climate change was OK,but it took away from the remarkable environments which other documentaries showed so well.The non-climate change parts were not as impressive as those in other Attenborough documentaries either.Not sure if this one counts as it had a few scenes focussed on prehistoric creatures and a few animated scenes but I really enjoyed Conquest of the Skies.

19. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump the thread.

My favourite is probably Dancing with the birds, it’s full of success, hardship, heartbreak and wonder, and I don’t think anyone can not enjoy birds of paradise dancing around poles or lance tailed manakins synchronising jumps.

20. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I have to say blue planet 2 is my absolute favorite. I love the camerawork here, I get the feeling that Im watching timeless classic whenever I hear David Attenborough's voice, and I feel like the messages are so powerful especially in the time we live in today. I am looking forward to when A life on our planet comes on Netflix. A new documentary that will probably bring tears to my eyes with the current state that our tragic existence on this planet. (Oh okay, maybe not that far, but you get the picture). I grew up with David Attenborough documentary's, and I cannot wait until another masterpiece comes out.