Join our zoo community

Fencing for primates .. ?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Magick, 6 Jan 2017.

1. Magick

Magick Member

Hey everyone, doing a uni project on enclosure design and just trying to figure out fencing (open top) for containing spider monkeys.

My tutor mentioned some zoos having some kind of non slip/smooth fencing with a deflector on the top, the only good example I've found of this so far online is chester zoo and their miniature monkeys exhibit. He also mentioned the use of electric fencing. But if I had a high enough smooth wall with deflectors is electric fencing also needed or is it a case of one or the other?

Anyone here more knowledgeable than me on this?? TIA :D

2. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wouldnt call myself knowledgeable, but take a look at monkey world's enclosures. Especially the ape ones, they're rather interesting.

3. KevinVar

KevinVar Well-Known Member

To stick to an enclosure with spider monkeys for the moment, an interesting example of this would be Apenheul's open-topped mixed enclosure. The fences in this exhibit are fitted with steel plates on top. Depending on the height of the steel plates (or other smooth surfaces) you could make an assumption whether or not to use electric wires for extra safety.

TNT likes this.