Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Fire in the Chester Zoo Monsoon Forest habitat

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ian999, 15 Dec 2018.

1. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Looks like the roof damage only goes to just past the orangutan viewing area, looks bad, bit notice alot of the indoor orang areas still look there natural colour and the rock work.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Best typo I've seen in a while. I usually don't like to correct that kind of thing, but this was too good to resist. Thanks for making me laugh today!

4. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Sumatran Orangs are in the first indoor exhibit in RORA, next to the Borneans. The Moloch Gibbons are in the netted outdoor enclosure at the entrance of RORA (usually home to Tuan). The Sulawesi Macaques, as SMR noted, are back in their old enclosure, with the Capuchins off-show.

The only other visible relocated Monsoon Forest animals at the moment are the Asian Forest Tortoises, which are in the old Galapagos Tortoise enclosure in Tropical Realm.

Maguari and jde7582 like this.
  5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That will not have been a typo....

Jambo, HOMIN96, Falconhoof and 13 others like this.
  6. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jambo, birdsandbats and Maguari like this.
  7. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

These kind of posts is where the recent spate of biased ZTL edits comes from - the article specifically states they still are unaccounted for and therefore they don’t yet know how many are left if any. Let’s all just assume that for now at least they haven’t lost any birds, and I’m sure that in the coming month they will have a clear understanding of what if anything has passed away or gone.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  8. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn’t say they’d died, I said they were lost. I also didn’t say that the entire species was lost. Read better.

Zia likes this.
  9. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for posting the link - suggests their search-and-rescue is well advanced and the fate of the other birds is known now (to the zoo, not publicly as yet).

As @ShonenJake13 says, we still don't know if all the Monsoon Forest birds of those species are missing, or if all those not mentioned are safe - the previous statement by the zoo suggests at least some of the starlings are known to have perished and other birds that have been 'accounted for' may also not be alive and well - just a case of wait and see for now.

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While it would be great if the birds are still alive, my guess is that is that people are assuming that any colorful bird must be tropical and therefore non-native...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You didn't say they had died, this is true - however we do have idiots who would immediately assume that "lost" means "died" on reading your post and gallivant over to ZTL to edit the relevant entries, so spelling out the distinction is needed :p I've had to revert a few such edits already.... including one twit who assumed all the Victoria Crowned Pigeons in the zoo have died, even though half of them aren't even in Monsoon!

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Wow, what a crap tabloid this is! The cover headline alone designed to create horror. I feel sullied for having clicked on it.

13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's a good job you didn't look at the Daily Fail :) (which is not a typo).

ThylacineAlive, Brum, taun and 2 others like this.
  14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

It's a free local newspaper, don't really expect anything better from them.

Infact mine usually ends up being used for something else and not read.

15. jde7582

16. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The December 20th episode of The Secret Life of the Zoo,featured a few sad scenes at the end,showing keepers picking up snakes and frogs that had sadly perished.So it seems that the tentacled snake did not make it?

17. jde7582

They appeared to be removing the viper from the vivsV near the other end . But sadly the tentacled snakes probably didn't make it due to there vacinity to the heart of the fire.

It show another good look at the indoor orang enclosure, which looked very surprising untouched and undamaged.

18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The snakes in Tripa has perished but the zoo still has a good few behind the scenes.

In better news, it sounds as though the barbet and bulbul have survived.

~Thylo

ISOE2012 and birdsandbats like this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Only four months ago you and I were searching for fish in Tripa... Such a sad and surreal disaster.

~Thylo

20. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I know this will be disagreed with by many on here, but I wish Chester Zoo would close it's Just Giving page which was created after the fire.

If you read the comments, at least 50% of the donations are of the impression that this money was being raised to help with the new build and a target of £50,000 was set. Having raised just under £150,000 it clearly now displays that Insurance will cover the cost of the rebuild and the money will be used for conservation projects. Now I don't disagree with this, but I have been to many collections, some charities, and some sanctuaries and many of these struggle and rely on handouts to keep rescued animals alive. Chester is not a Zoo which struggles for money, don't get me wrong they are still a charity and do amazing work, but a fraction even 2% of that money raised could go a long way to helping smaller collections which are sanctuaries and charities survive and keep animals well cared for.

Last week I visited the Welsh Ape Sanctuary and it was so sad to read a lot of the stories, not just of the primates and apes but of the smaller animals they have, and the fact they pump every penny in to keeping these beautiful rescue animals alive, all that have a sad story and a great life. The animals reliant on visitors and patrons (Sheridan Smith, James Cordon and Graham Norton have all supported the place) and even having a 50p Tombola in the gift shop to win pretty much old teddies and small crockery and ornaments, to try and raise funds to keep their good work going.

Whilst Chester supports conservation projects and I get it, I really do, it saddens me that a Zoo like that can raise such a huge amount of money which in all truth and honesty isn't actually needed, yet there are places who do so much for their animals struggling and even raising £5000 would make a huge difference. I would love to see Chester, pointing things like this out to people and say whilst donations are great if you want to donate to animal welfare and collections that truly need your help, then donate to these. It would take years of fundraising events for these charities to make even £5000 in donations, let alone the £150,000 Chester has raised within a week, it kind of makes me a little sad.

Ebirah766 and migdog like this.