Join our zoo community

Healesville Sanctuary Fires force Healesville zoo evacuation

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 8 Feb 2009.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Fires force Healesville zoo evacuation - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

2. GorillaFollower

GorillaFollower Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to hear of the situation over there and wish everyone luck with animal moves. Hope the situation begins to become a little easier soon for human and animal.

3. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

i think this is shocking. the death toll for humans is approaching one hundred by the minute, thank christ Healesville has evacuated its threatened species collection.
    a few years ago Tidinbilla, a conservation centre near Canberra was wiped out by bushfires and there was a terrible loss of animal life including endangered animals. Given that Healesville holds the major ex-situ populations of several critically endangered species this evacuation process could be considered an incredibly timely precaution.
    to our Victorian members, thinking of you guys

4. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

My heart aches for all of the people suffering through all of the disasters in Australia--both fires and floods. So many people displaced, losing homes and family, so many animals suffering the loss of habitat and their lives. Let's all hope for rain for the south and dry for the north.

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

and i would like to echo that too, is truly awful and to all our Australian friends we are thinking about you.

6. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

With the death toll now at 108 and entire towns destroyed (that is so hard to imagine, every building destroyed every house, shop, police station etc) I am so glad that I am not living in that part of Australia. I am trying to imagine what it would have been like to try and relocate so many animals. Was the fire close to Healesville. If it was I would thing that many of the animals would be panicking and so especially hard to catch. I wish all the staff at Healseville all the best.

7. Simon Hampel

From what I can tell (only by looking at the Google maps that Google have published), there was a grass fire the other side of Healesville. Given how fast these fires can move, they may not have had all that much time if the wind had picked up and driven it towards the sanctuary.

8. Trevor

Trevor Member

9. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

The ash has finally cleared away, and where I live thankfully the fire in view on the mountain didn't do much harm at all. What is really disturbing though is that most of the fires were deliberately lit.

10. dragon(ele)nerd

oh dear just watched the news many of the fires have now been deliberately relit, most likely by the same people.

11. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The fact that they fires were deliberatley lit really makes me angry. The death toll is so high and the fact that entire towns have dissappeared from the map is insane. So many of the stories that are coming up on the news about the terrible things that have happened tear my heart out and the stories of heroism and genorosity just go to show how many amazing people are out there.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2009
  12. dragon(ele)nerd

I hear you Pat, it's terrible indeed worse than Black Friday and Ash wednesday put together.

13. GorillaFollower

GorillaFollower Well-Known Member

Again, so sorry to hear about all your troubles there, a terrible tradegy. As the news unfolds it is truly heartbreaking to hear of the huge loss of life and the awful disruption and pain this is causing. My thoughts are constantly with you all.

14. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

death toll approaching 200, or anticipated to reach. fires have just flared up at healesville....

15. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Horrifying pictures and stories in the papers and television of the fires , feel so sorry for anybody caught up in it . The chaos caused in the UK by a bit of snow - far less than our neighbours on the European mainland are used to - is nothing in comparison .

16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Lets all just hope you get some of our wonderfull rain soon to end these fires,the loss of life is no laughing matter if they find the poeple responsible for re-lighting the fires they should be charged with MURDER and the keys thrown away!!!

17. dragon(ele)nerd

That's what they are planning to do, once they find the perps they will most likely be charged with murder as the news over has stated, the weather has eased up in the last two days but is gonna rise to the high twenties and the mid thirties the rest of the week.

18. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Just heard on the news there is a fire heading towards the healesville area

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

is the Healesville Sanctuary privately-owned or government? If the property should get razed to the ground, do you think it would be rebuilt (either on-site or elsewhere)?

20. Simon Hampel

Healesville (along with Melbourne and Werribee) are the three facilities run by "Zoos Victoria" and are governed by the Zoological Parks and Gardens Board of Victoria - a body appointed by the Vic. Govt.

I have no doubt that the work done by Healesville in the rescue and rehabilitation of native animals, and the conservation of threatened native species is deemed important enough to rebuild the sanctuary if it were destroyed.