Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo First Trip to the Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Lesley4444, 11 Apr 2009.

1. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

Hi there...

I am about to go to chester zoo this Friday for the very first time... very excited!!

I was wondering if there are any tips as to when is the best time to see different animals?

I have a passion for taking pictures, so are there animals that perform better than others?

Any hidden jems that regular zoo visiters may miss?

Are there any MUST see's? or places to avoid?

Any info will be gratefully accepted...

Thanks you SO much :)

2. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Avoid the Orang, Chimps and Monkey Islands from about 12 until 2. They become so packed that is nearly impossible to move, let alone see the animals.

3. GillP

GillP Well-Known Member

Lesley, I went to Chester for the 1st time ever last Monday and thought much of it was brilliant.

We got there 1st thing and went straight to the Realm of the Red Ape where the orangutans are housed. You see their indoor areas from inside the main building and there are also viewing windows inside onto the outdoor areas if you see what I mean (otherwise, as far as I could see the only way of seeing them outside was at the foot of the area where the waterfall is). This worked really well for us because for a while me and my family were the only ones in the building and were therefore treated to an unobstructed view of the orangs (and plenty of photo opportunities). We went back to RORA twice more - in the early afternoon it was jam-packed, and very noisy, but right at the end of the day, there was only a few visitors.

Needless to say seeing the Sumatran orangs was a real wow, though the Bornean group were nowhere to be seen and a keeper explained that there are some off-view areas (i.e. the old house) where they often tend to go.

We also spent a long time watching 4 elephants playing in their pool in the afternoon around 3-ish, which was delightful, so it may be worth visiting them at about the same time as I think (from other people's reactions) that this is quite a common occurence.

I was also very impressed with the jaguar exhibit which is close to RORA, and had no difficulty seeing them in the middle of the day.

Never having been before we kind of ambled about a bit aimlessly and certainly went round and round in circles somewhat ........ but later, having left at 6, we found that we'd missed only a few exhibits right on the periphery of the zoo ....... namely kangaroos and zebras. Ironically, my other half had been remarking that you don't often see kangaroos in UK zoos (wallabies yes ...).

I hope you enjoy it - I definitely want to go back, but my main tip is that if you want to see the orangs in particular, get there when it opens and go straight there ............ in main entrance, left over the elephant bridge and then veer left past the warty pig and chimps (who are also fascinating, but don't stop as there is lots of outdoor viewing, you can come back to them at any time ...... we managed to pass by the chimps 3 or 4 times during the day and there was something to see on the island each time, though their indoor area was a bit crowded a round midday admittedly).

I also really enjoyed the twilight zone - which I think I've read somewhere is the largest bat zoo display in Europe (if not the world). Once your eyes adjust there are loads of them.

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Try to get to the orangs early, it can get very crowded. But don't expect to see the tuataras by the entrance to the Tropical Realm until the afternoon.

What not to miss? It depends on your interests - but I'd nominate the greater vasa parrots (in the old aviaries beside Oakfield House near the otters), the lesser Antillean iguanas with the mountain chickens (Tropical Realm), the Komodo dragons (Islands in Danger) and the pied tamarins (Miniature Monkeys). If you go to the restaurant near the entrance and the weather is good, eat outside at one of the tables overlooking the warthogs and banded mongooses, which is a nice exhibit

Lots of photo opportunities with all the species I've mentioned. The Indian rhinos usually show well and the cheetahs pose nicely if you've got a long lens. The jaguar enclosure gives excellent backgrounds, but you need to be lucky to see the jags in the right places. The corners of the chimp island beside the orangs and the hyacinthine macaws are the best for shooting the chimps. Your big problem is going to be fitting in everything you want to see and shoot. Don't spend too long on the platform that overlooks the elephant paddock or you'll run out of time ;)

Have a nice day!

Alan

5. LeeMac13

LeeMac13 Well-Known Member

If you can get to the zoo before 10am as the zoo starts letting people in around 9.45am but you are limited to just the entrance of the zoo but does let you get to the places you want as soon as soon as the zoo lets you move out of the entrance area. The jaguars are usually fed around 12pm each day and that is the best time to see the jaguars that are in the aztec/desert area of the exibit. As they sit and eat there meat where u can get lots of photos. If you are after taking photos of the chimps make sure you get them before or after the talk as during the talk its quite busy and very hard to get any photographs.

6. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for the information :)

4days and counting