Join our zoo community

Five Sisters Zoo Park Five Sisters may close

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by zoogiraffe, 21 Dec 2008.

1. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The Five Sisters Zoo has been welcoming visitors for almost 5 years. All who have been to see our wildlife have enjoyed their visit. However with the current climate and reduced ticket sales, we only have enough funds to survive for two more months at the most.

The above statement was taken off the Zoos website but it doesn`t say when it was up-dated,if the place closes i for one will be very sad because i think it a very good small collection not scared of keeping animals that alot of the major Zoo`s don`t.

2. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thats sad news, i wonder how many small collections will suffer next year?

3. zoogiraffe

Its not just the small ones that will suffer the big ones will have the same problems but just as the small ones but on a much larger scale.

4. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

true but alot of the bigger ones have funding ect, smaller zoos depend mainly on visitors.

5. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What species in particular? Not being familiar with the collection I had a look at their website and only noticed 'palm civets' as the only non-mainstream 'species'. Do you know which species?

6. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

canadian Lynx

7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Among other things, Springhaas, Asian Desert Dormouse, Black-and-white Deer Mouse, Pakistani Black Hedgehog, Marbled Polecat and Mouse-like Hamsters.

8. zoogiraffe

They didn`t have this species when i visited earlier in the year and it certainly wasn`t mentioned as something that they where planning on bringing in,unless you know something myself and the owner doesn`t!!!!!!!!!

9. zoogiraffe

African Pygmy Spiny Mouse,Fennec Fox and Kinkajou,are the only species that jump out that you missed off your list Maguari,thanks for posting the list.

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

12. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Well-Known Member

Visited the zoo recently, it looks a bit run down down since my last visit. I was horrific to see four bat-eared foxes pacing forward and backwards in a small pen and there are no housing/shelters as adjoining Palm Civets as well. Two of the animals were in poor condition. Both species are nocturnal and shy. There are no barriers behind the pens. Surprisingly they have four brown lemurs, the box is so tiny leaving not much room for them. The Zoo area is bit out of way and it looked like used to be a scrap yard before! Personally, I rather see the zoo to close down than trying to save the zoo. Despite of this, the otter enclosure and caiman pool were the best of all.

13. Mr Gelada

Mr Gelada Well-Known Member

just a quick note to let you know to a previous comment that someone said the larger zoos get funded this is not the case zoo like Edinburgh have to rely on visitors admissions they do not get any goverment funding what so ever they are a Charity.