Join our zoo community

Flamingo Land Flamingo Land 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Macaw16, 19 Mar 2015.

1. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought I would start. A new news thread for Flamingo Land as the other is for last year. The Sumatran Tiger cubs are a year old tomorrow.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2015
  2. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

And the reduced price winter season has now finished (I am very pleased I have again invested in a season ticket at the discounted winter rate).

P.S. I like your avatar Macaw16!

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rothschild Giraffe, Lizzy gave birth to a female calf on 22 March. Also mentioned elsewhere that male, Brad will be leaving for Twycross later this week

ZOOKEEPERS at Flamingo Land have welcomed their newest arrival - a baby Rothschild's giraffe born just a week ago.

The zoo is now running a competition to give the public chance to name the week-old calf.

Mum Lizzy, 5, gave birth to her daughter at 3am last Sunday, March 22. A visit from the vet days later confirmed the new arrival is female, and now the calf will be named via a Name the Baby compeition

Although she's met the rest of Flamingo Land's giraffe herd, she will not make her public debut until later this week.

The Rothschild's giraffe herd at Flamingo Land was formed six years ago with the arrival of the new calf's father George, now eight, and two females, and to date the herd has welcomed four calves.

This newest calf has one "full sibling", a female called Pixie born on March 12, 2013.

She also has two half brothers born to the same father - Rufus who was born in 2011 and Brad who was born in January 2013.

Rothschild giraffes are listed as Endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature, and their population is still decreasing. Flamingo Land's giraffes are part of the European Endangered Species Programme (EEP). George was born at Woburn Safari Park in Bedfordshire and Lizzy was born in Opel Zoo in Germany

Could you name Flamingo Land's newest arrival - a rare baby Rothschild's giraffe? (From York Press)

4. Parrotsandrew

The new rhinoceros exhibit is to be called the Selous Black Rhino Reserve.

5. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hmm Selous Black Rhino Reserve huh ? I thought they are getting Indian Rhinos and then it turns out to be Black Rhino

6. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

Having spoken to the Flamingoland Zoo Manager it would appear that they would have had to take non-breeding animals if they joined the Greater One Horned Rhino EEP but they were offered a breeding group of Black Rhino by their EEP coordinator at Chester and so decided to make the switch to Blacks.

7. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

8. Macaw16

Would be great to see Indians, but would also be great to see a breeding group, it really would make it seem more of a serious collection.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess that more or less it, n'est-ce pas?

A most fitting name and I would hope they can associate themselves with the ZGF / Frankfurt Zoological Society to benefit the Tanzanian Selous Reserve which is in minor black rhino territory and in dire need of some more effective conservation of their various scattered rhino groups.

10. Parrotsandrew

The first Black Rhinoceroses (a mother and calf from Zurich) are due to arrive on 22nd September so work to finish the exhibit is underway once more. Another female is to come from Chester, but its arrival will be delayed as it has suffered a foot injury. A male will arrive next year.

Other bits of news:-

1. I have made 4 summer season visits so far, and on the first three something had died the previous day! A very young Bactrian Camel (its mother subsequently died too), a Rothschild's Giraffe whilst attempting to give birth (Joyce - she had a twisted uterus), and the Water Monitor (meaning even less to see in the new reptile area). Thankfully nothing had died prior to my visit last week. A Grant's Zebra foal died around the beginning of May too.

2. On a happier note, the other young Camel born this year is doing well as is another Zebra foal born between my last two visits. A Vicuna had also been born in the same period. Several Ring-tailed lemurs have been born (six was the last total I was given), and there are also a few young Banded Mongooses. Four Chilean Flamingos are incubating eggs and I saw a Caribbean astride an egg too, but it may have muscled in on a Chilean as later there was a bird of that species on the same nest. Last week I noted a Parma Wallaby with a youngster in its pouch. There are several young Capybaras as well.

3. New in the Bird Show are two young Kookaburras - they are brought out at the end of the shows for people to see and for them to get used to the arena. It will be next year before they take an active part in the shows.

11. Macaw16

A bit of missed news, from The York Press, published on the third of September;

- a Rothschild's Giraffe was born on August 20th, making the total of the species 10 at Flamingo Land., and the second Giraffe to be born this year.

- A baby female Red Panda was 'discovered' on June 4th, after only having the species for two years, Tai Jang and Bai Jiao are first time parents (I'm not sure which is male and which is female).

The could be more news from there, but that is all that I know of.

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Tai Jang is the female, Bai Jiao the male:
    Flamingo Land - Red Pandas arrive at Flamingo Land Resort

13. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if flamingo land will do out of season zoo opening times this year? Am I right in thinking it IS flamingo land that does this or am I mixing it up with chessington?

14. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They both do it but Chessingtons days are more limited than Flamingolands!

15. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Flamingo Land named Yorkshire’s Most Magnificent Attraction

16. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Baxter the camel swapped places with Khan from Yorkshire Wildlife Park

17. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Rhinos Arrive

According to Flamingo Land's Facebook "Today mother and baby Black Rhinos join us from Zurich. See Samira and Olmoti, a girl, in the newly built Selous Black Rhino Reserve with viewing platform."

18. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At long last :) well done to all involved in bringing this project to fruition

They become the first new UK holder for Black Rhinos in 13 years (Paignton being the last one)

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A couple of pics of the new reserve;

Attached Files:

• br1.jpg
      br1.jpg
      File size:
      102 KB
      Views:
    • br2.jpg
      br2.jpg
      File size: