Join our zoo community

Lakeland Wildlife Oasis Flooding: A plea for help!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Paix, 11 Dec 2015.

1. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Many of you may be aware of the extensive flooding across the Lancaster and Cumbria area which has resulted in varying degrees of damage to private property, business, infrastructure and local wildlife. Many of you however may not be aware of the adverse effects the flooding has caused at Lakeland Wildlife Oasis.

The majority of the outdoor section of the park has been consumed by water, including many houses such as the fossa, lemur and monkey houses. Many animals lack dry land and are dependent on raised walkways and climbing structures (thankfully, many species held in the outdoor section are arboreal!) The water level at parts has reached well above knee-level meaning keeping staff (and volunteers) are currently using waders to tend to the animals across the section.

As a result, the zoo has set up a just giving page which aims to raise £5,000 in order to repair flood damage and create elavated walkways so the animals have access to dry land. Please consider donating if possible; there is arguably no other UK zoo who are in the condition Lakeland is currently.

The page was created on 9th and already the zoo has recieved £1,500.

The park is currently closed due to the water level however when the water does recede the zoo will be holding volunteer days in order to restore the grounds and clear any debris. Pictures of the extent of the flooding have been added to the gallery.

2. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I have every sympathy for Lakeland Wildlife Oasis in that situation,and it is
    good that they are trying to raise funds. However I have to say that they are actually not the only zoo to have suffered in the awful weather of late.

3. bluetoffeezoo

bluetoffeezoo Well-Known Member

No one said they where, don't understand this comment!!!

Anyhoo Count me and the hubby in fr volunteer days work dependant, hope ,you guys are back on dry ground soon

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Dec 2015
  4. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Best of luck with the fund raising - I've added a contribution to the coffers and will be willing to help with the clear up when you are ready. Good Luck guys xXx