Join our zoo community

Florida Aquarium Florida Aquarium News & Notes

Discussion in 'United States' started by deanmo19, 23 Nov 2012.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

In other news, the newish False Pilchard habitat is nice, it also has brown shrimp. It replaced the living coral tank, they now have a significantly larger coral area on the roof, and it is open to the public.
    [​IMG]

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

When I visited Topeka Zoo in the summer of 2012, there was a temporary, seasonal exhibit called 'Penguin Plunge' and I've attached my photo of it. I wonder if the Florida Aquarium's penguin exhibit is going to be temporary? There are certainly many similarities between the two atrocious enclosures.

Topeka Zoo (August 7th, 2012):

[​IMG]

3. SwampDonkey

As far as I am aware it is not intended to be temporary, although they look incredibly similar. Clearly they were inspired or even copied those old traveling habitats. They've had these penguins for quite some years now, they just have been behind the scenes for that time, doing paid encounters and special events.

snowleopard likes this.
  4. SwampDonkey

Smaggledagle likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

Flighted Raptor show started yesterday, outside on the roof top terrace, it is temporary and runs through Labor Day. Honestly, that is kind of the worst time of year to have an outdoor bird show...but still I am interested in seeing it. Presumably it is some sort of traveling show.
    Login • Instagram

Smaggledagle likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

I went to the Aquarium today, the raptor show was ...not great. We stuck around for about 20 minutes and the only bird shown was a harris hawk. I'm sure there were more birds coming out, but I rather had spent our time seeing the other animals.

Side note, while at the penguin building I overheard two other groups commenting on how small it was. They also had 4 birds in it rather than the 3 I was told previously were rotated in at a time

Smaggledagle and StoppableSan like this.
  7. SwampDonkey

Smaggledagle likes this.
  8. SwampDonkey

A new over water tank with red breast sunfish has been installed in the Florida Wetlands area:

Smaggledagle likes this.
  9. SwampDonkey

Paywall, so I can't read the article, but the Aquarium is planning a major expansion for California sea lions, puffins, and a new good African Penguin habitat to replace the terrible one they have now. Unfortunately it looks like the penguin and sea lions will replace where the splash pad is now. Kids love that splash pad. It looks like the puffins will be in the entry area in front of the restaurant.
    https://www.bizjournals.com/tampaba...ta&ana=e_ta_BN&j=28747612&senddate=2022-08-16

10. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here are some free articles about the expansion plans that provide additional details. This will be a three phase project with each phase opening annually. Phase 1 involves turning the existing ballroom space into a special exhibits gallery which will be done by Summer 2023. Phase 2 is the puffin exhibit being built on the second-floor lobby which will also include additional fish such as Atlantic salmon, which will be completed in 2024. The final phase is for the outdoor expansion featuring the sea lion and penguin exhibits, which will open in 2025.

The Florida Aquarium $40M expansion: New animals, exhibits coming | wtsp.com

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...-aquariums-first-major-development-since-1995

11. SwampDonkey

They also sent an email to members a little bit ago:

TinoPup and Austin the Sengi like this.
  12. SwampDonkey

My thoughts on this expansion:

• It looks like the quality of these habitats will match the exceptional habitats that were a part of the original building but lagged as time went by - so that is wonderful.
    • Puffins are one of my favorite aquatic birds, that part of the project is exciting.
    • Sea lions are always entertaining, and a well done outdoor habitat is a nice addition.
    • The new penguin habitat is wonderful, the current one is terrible. This looks exceptional.
    • I am saddened by the loss of the splash pad. While I understand that area is about the only open space (and certainly the largest outdoor space) the Aquarium has, it is still disappointing. Perhaps they will be able to integrate some sort of splash area into the design, that has been done before in other places. It cannot be the scale of the current splash pad, but it would be something.
    • I am also saddened by the further departure from the focus on Florida environments and the original goal of "telling the story of Florida's water from spring to ocean". It set the FL Aquarium apart from other generic aquariums.
      While that move started way back with the addition of "Madagascar", the overall aquarium was still mainly "Florida". It would have been cool if they had been able to use a different species than California Sea Lion. Using a monk seal species would have been able to at least tie into the Caribbean Monk seal. But that is what it is.

Overall this is a great expansion for them, unfortunately it does not really facilitate conservation of Florida animals. At one point there was talk of adding manatees or dolphins; I believe it was to this same part of the building/grounds, but I do not know that for sure. Manatees would have been the preferred choice, but I guess they are going this direction.

13. SwampDonkey

Social media and a contact at the FLA confirms that a redesigned splash area will be included in the outdoor area. That alleviates one of my major concerns. The one image I saw of the indoor puffin/salmon habitat looks really good. If done well it could be one of the premier puffin habitats.

Smaggledagle and Bozie's Friend like this.
  14. SwampDonkey

Images from the expansion article on Tampa Bay Business Journal:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. SwampDonkey

Smaggledagle and Bozie's Friend like this.
  16. SwampDonkey

17. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other 2022 News:

On January 14th, it was reported that the founder and brainchild of the Florida Aquarium, Bill Crown, has passed away on January 12 at age 80 due to stage pancreatic cancer.

Bill Crown, driving force behind Tampa’s Florida Aquarium, dies at 80

On January 24th, the aquarium announced that they were closed until January 28th due to exhibit upgrades and other various projects.

Virtual Visit | To help us get a jump on spring cleaning, The Florida Aquarium will be closed today through Friday, January 28! As we work to unleash our inner sparkle,... | By The Florida Aquarium | Facebook
    Spring Cleaning | The Aquarium’s spring cleaning projects are well underway! We can’t wait for you to see the results. #FloridaAquarium #SpringCleaning Wetlands dome... | By The Florida Aquarium | Facebook

On February 7th, the aquarium announced they acquired (0.0.2+?) frilled sea hares which are now on exhibit in the Bays and Beaches gallery.

On February 17th, the aquarium announced they acquired (0.0.6) African penguins.

Penguins Arrive at The Florida Aquarium | Our penguin colony has expanded by six! The arrival of these species ambassadors is important as we work to advance our mission to save species, like... | By The Florida Aquarium | Facebook

On May 11th, the aquarium announced they acquired (0.0.450+) fish of various species which are now in a "multitude of exhibits".

On June 8th, it was reported that the aquarium placed 560 corals of 4 species in an offshore reef site near Long Key, Florida.

Florida Aquarium raise 500 corals outplanted in Keys | wtsp.com

On June 9th, it was reported that in partnership with the Tampa Bay Rays, (0.0.11) cownose rays were transferred to a new 10,000 gallon touch tank inside Tropicana Field.

Tropicana Field welcomes cownose stingrays in new touch experience

On June 10th, it was reported that the aquarium opened a new exhibit called Ocean Decade Exhibitation, which is an art showcase located on the 2nd floor of the facility.

Florida Aquarium unveils new exhibit to show importance of the ocean

On June 30th, it was announced that the facility received $449,228 from the AZA and US Fish and Wildlife Service for the care of endangered species.

More Than $9 Million Awarded for Endangered Species Care During Pandemic | U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

On July 23rd, it was reported that the aquarium unveiled a new program called SeaTrek, which aims to be an underwater guided walking tour.

Florida Aquarium unveils SeaTrek program for underserved communities

*Misc news: In January, the aquarium bought 2 hydraulic veterinary tables for their seabirds. On March 23rd, the aquarium donated 40 mangrove trees to St. Pete College STEM Center. In April, they planted 2 mulberry trees on-site. Throughout the year they rehabilitated and released sea turtles back into the wild.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2022
  18. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What about the current news of them closing til further notice due to hurricane Ian?

TinoPup likes this.
  19. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

if someone else wants to report on it then that's fine with me.

20. SwampDonkey

Yeah, pretty much everything is closing up down here for the next couple of days until the storm passes. .

TinoPup likes this.