Join our zoo community

Florida Aquarium Florida Aquarium News & Notes

Discussion in 'United States' started by deanmo19, 23 Nov 2012.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know this sounds borderline selfish from a certain point of view but I'm hoping everything is cleared up 100% by the 21st of next month. I'm contemplating adding the aquarium to my Tampa trip.

Jacob F likes this.
  2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Weather wise late October is generally a good time of year to be here. The aquarium should be fine, it's all largely indoors and built to high standards. The plants at the zoo will suffer the most, which is a shame as they were just now looking great again. Both institutions have solid storm plans though, and have been through similar issues.

3. Jacob F

Jacob F Well-Known Member

That would be great!

4. Astrotom3000

Astrotom3000 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Per this tweet, the aquarium is reopening this upcoming Saturday (Oct 1) at 9:30am. In the same tweet, the Aquarium has stated that both animals and staff are safe.

https://twitter.com/floridaaquarium/status/1575605758385070080

@Moebelle, looks like you should be in the clear, but I would keep tabs on the aquarium just to be sure. It's a great facility (I visited this past January along with Zoo Tampa).

Smaggledagle, Jacob F and Moebelle like this.
  5. Jacob F

Jacob F Well-Known Member

What are your favorite ZooTampa and Florida Aquarium exhibits?

Astrotom3000 likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

The FL Aquarium is actively updating the "Bays and Beaches" to become "Shorelines". They have repainted, and are in the process of installing new digital signage above the tanks. They have also recently done a mini remodel of the "heart of the Sea" area past the large coral reef window. The remodel included new carpet and new lighting tubes above head that changes color. It seems the seahorse room is also being updated as several tanks were empty and had signs to that effect.

7. SwampDonkey

They have added a bluespotted ribbontail ray, now found in Stingray Beach.

The Florida Aquarium on Instagram: "Blue satin sashes, these are a few of our favorite things! Meet the bluespotted ribbontail ray, now found in Stingray Beach. Their vibrant blue spots serve as a warning to predators of two venomous spines along their tail!"

They also closed the otter habitat for a minor remodel and the stairs above the alligator habitat in the wetlands area are closed for repairs.

I am really encouraged to see all of these minor remodels to all the sections of the aquarium, it was past time for a refresh to the original areas.

Astrotom3000 and Smaggledagle like this.
  8. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The Florida Aquarium breaks ground on new coral care complex

The facility will focus on preserving, breeding and rearing corals that are declining along Florida's Coral Reef.

The Florida Aquarium broke ground on a new Coral Care Complex that's expected to be completed by May 2023.

The new complex will be located at their conservation campus in Apollo Beach, The Florida Aquarium announced in a news release. The addition will help the Aquarium's coral research and the advancement in coral reproduction and restoration.

https://www-wtsp-com.cdn.ampproject...mplex/67-181c5bbf-2098-418d-a669-0f7530ed96c5

Astrotom3000 and Smaggledagle like this.
  9. SwampDonkey

10. SwampDonkey

I am not sure why the Aquarium has not publicized it, but the former "Bays and Beaches" transformation into "Shorelines" is complete. New paint, theming, and animals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. SwampDonkey

12. SwampDonkey

Were you able to make it to the aquarium while you were here?

13. SwampDonkey

14. SwampDonkey

I don't think I mentioned this, but a couple Queensland Grouper have been added to the Heart of the Sea main tank.

Smaggledagle likes this.
  15. SwampDonkey

News on their new exhibit opening this summer that seems to be called "MORPHD" is trickling in via social media. So far they have teased epaulette sharks, cherry shrimp, axolotl, and four-eyed fish.

16. SwampDonkey

The new gallery MORPH'D opens for members June 23rd. Members were invited to a preview June 23 - 30. I signed up for a day to visit. I will be honest, I don't actually hold high hopes for this gallery, but I really hope to be surprised. They have been pretty tight lipped on the design of this area, with really no previously released renderings. I anticipate a series of smallish side tanks and a couple of larger open top tanks for the paddlefish and epaulette sharks.

Smaggledagle likes this.
  17. SwampDonkey

A little more information came out today in an email:

18. SwampDonkey

Smaggledagle likes this.
  19. SwampDonkey

To add to this, Rugged Coast is actually going to be a whole new area, not just the Puffin habitat. From the Aquarium's website:
    [​IMG]

Smaggledagle and CMP like this.
  20. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other 2023 News:

On April 3rd, the aquarium announced they rehabilitated and released (0.0.3) Kemp's Ridley sea turtles back into the wild.

Find your Monday motivation with... - The Florida Aquarium

On May 4th, the aquarium announced they rehabilitated and released (0.0.5) more Kemp's Ridley sea turtles into the wild.

This week, 5 Kemp’s ridley sea... - The Florida Aquarium

On May 30th, the aquarium announced they rehabilitated and released a (0.0.1) loggerhead sea turtle named Kalan/Mahomes into the wild.

Kalan, a Loggerhead sea turtle also... - The Florida Aquarium

On July 20th, the aquarium announced they rehabilitated and released another (0.0.1) loggerhead sea turtle named Cars into the wild.

Cara, the rehabilitated loggerhead sea turtle, walks back into the ocean today! Cara’s story has touched many. From the passionate folks at Coastal Wildlife Club, her initial responders, to the millions of people following her recovery. Thanks to a collaboration with the Sea Turtle Conservancy, you’ll be able to follow Cara’s journey. Stay tuned for more as we follow her movement through the great blue! | The Florida Aquarium | The Florida Aquarium · Original audio

On March 28th, the aquarium announced that (0.0.2) yellow stingrays are now on exhibit in the Shorelines area.

What’s in the sand? Spot two juvenile yellow stingrays in Shorelines! | The Florida Aquarium | The Florida Aquarium · Original audio

On July 1st, the aquarium announced that MORPH'D opened to the public.

Challenge your perception as you... - The Florida Aquarium

On August 10th, it was reported that the aquarium added 20 new coral colonies for the facility's breeding program to address issues like coral bleaching.

New coral colonies arrive at The Florida Aquarium | wtsp.com

SwampDonkey likes this.