Join our zoo community

Former London "zoos" which are now closed

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MJB, 26 Mar 2019.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm going to London in a few days.
    I have written down a few collections that have disappeared today:
    1) Alexandra Palace Monkey House and Zoological Collection
    2) Battersea Dolphinarium
    3) The Royal Stables Menagerie in Charing Cross
    4) Surrey Zoological Gardens, Royal Surrey Gardens (now Pasley Park), Kennington
    5) The King's Mews, Trafalgar Square (now the site of the National Gallery)
    6) East London Menagerie (East London Aquarium), Norton Folgate
    7) The London Dolphinarium, 65 Oxford Street
    9) Selfridge's Aquarium, 400 Oxford Street
    9) Royalty Folies Dolphinarium, Royalty Theater London in Holton, Portugal St
    10) Wombell's Menagerie, Soho
    11) Cross's Menagerie (= Royal Grand National Menagerie), Exeter Exchange, Strandt
    12) Menagerie, Tower of London
    13) The Royal Aquarium and Winter Garden, Westminster.
    I know there are animal sculptures in the London Tower. In addition to this, does anyone know if any of these sites have any allusive plaque, or any element that remembers these collections?

TinoPup likes this.
  2. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Kew was also a relatively major collection in the late 18th c. In fact, there used to be some wallabies in a pen near Queen Charlotte's cottage to commemorate the animals (kangaroos, a quagga, exotic birds) kept in the menagerie there... Might only have been for a summer c. 2008/2009.

Exeter Change doesn't have a plaque or any commemoration as far as I know. If you are interested in the history of exotic animals in London, I recommend The Georgian Menagerie by Christopher Plumb and Menagerie by Caroline Grigson. (I actually wrote my MA thesis on the exotic animal trade in late 17th and 18th century London...)

There is the intriguingly named 'Bear Lane' in Southwark, roughly where the Hope bear garden used to be.

3. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

On Kew Green there is also a straight pathway cutting across that I've heard old-hands in the Gardens call 'Birdcage Walk' as there used to be birds kept along it, probably in the Georgian Era, but I've failed to find any reference to this outside of reference passed down by Gardens staff. The birds were apparently removed when an ostrich bit someone.

A few years back, in the area around Queen Anne's Cottage, there was a research project to use geophysics to locate the old animal enclosures, which they succeeded in doing. Don't think this has been published anywhere yet though, unfortunately.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  4. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tell us more! Is it available anywhere?

Falconhoof and oflory like this.
  5. SHAVINGTONZOO

I've a vague recollection Birdcage Walk was Charles II era, but not sure.

Wikipedia says started by James I, expanded by Charles II. Nothing about its end.

Crowthorne likes this.
  6. SHAVINGTONZOO

Incidentally, what do you mean by Wombwell's Menagerie, Soho?

And - prior to Cross - the Exeter Change was also operated by Pidcock and Polito.

7. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Maybe my memories of wallabies there were something to do with this project? Incidentally, if you're interested, the engravings by William Chambers of the buildings he designed for Kew include the menagerie and pheasantry buildings.

Not yet, have been considering publishing it for a bit as an article... watch this space.

This is Birdcage Walk in St James Park, I had actually never heard of a Birdcage Walk in Kew. @MJB may be interested to see the pelicans there, the originals of which were a gift from the Russian Ambassador to Charles II.

Falconhoof and Crowthorne like this.
  8. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would like to read it if you do!