Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Former Toronto Zoo Animals

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 10 Apr 2014.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For those of you who miss the white lion cubs there are some pictures of the boys on Parc Safari's facebook page. Their manes are really coming in.

2. TZFan

The cheetah swap with Parc Safari has benefited both zoos. Not only did Toronto pick up Laini who has given Toronto 5 cubs but Toronto's Akeelah has just given birth to two male cubs via c section. They are being hand reared. No word on whether the swap has benefitted Cleo as well.

Spotted: The first two cheetah cubs ever born in Quebec

3. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Here is some info about two Sumatran Tiger cubs born in Toronto in 2006. I extracted it from a new thread about the Sumatran Tigers currently in Japan Zoos.

Ueno Zoo, Tokyo
    Indah(f)
    Born: June 28th 2006 at Toronto, Canada
    Mother: Brytne(f)
    Father: Rengat(m)
    Littermate: Kali(f) at Yokohama.
    Full siblings: Chelsea(f) Atlanta, Leanne(Skylar)(f) San Francisco and Kougra(m)(deceased).

Yokohama Zoorasia, Yokohama
    Kali(f)
    Born: June 28th 2006 at Toronto, Canada
    Littermate: Indah(f) Ueno, Japan
    Parents: Refer to Indah’s description.
    Siblings: Refer to Indah’s description.

Indah : beautiful in Indonesian
    Kali : river in Indonesian
    Note: Named by fans vote at Toronto

4. TZFan

Mr Wrinkly did you see any info on whether either of the girls has reproduced?

5. Mr Wrinkly

Offspring are mentioned for others on the list, so either there are none , or it is unknown. The list is thorough so I would say none.

This is the thread:
    Sumatran Tigers in Japan

6. TZFan

Thanks Mr Wrinkly. I have a friend who loves those to dearly and would have loved to know if any cubs had been born to them. Pity it seems neither has reproduced. They were sent there to help diversify Japan's genetics yet it seems it didn't work. At eleven there is still time but chances are slim.

7. Mr Wrinkly

I found these two bits of info about two others of Brytne's offspring in about three minutes, so your friend probably has this and more already:

7/11 a post by Zoogoer2000 on an Atlanta thread:
    I'm unsure on where Kavi was born, but Chelsea was born to Brytne and Rengat (Rengat passed away last year) at the Toronto Zoo in July 2003. She then moved to the Dallas Zoo sometime in 2005 along with her siblings "Kougra" and "Skylar" (Kougra has since passed away at Dallas Zoo, and Skylar was renamed "Leanne". She moved to the San Francisco Zoo in 2007 and gave birth to triplet cubs in March of 2008) and then to Zoo Atlanta in 2007 to be bred with Kavi, as they did this past summer.

5/17 an article about a new partner for Chelsea:
    New Male Sumatran Tiger Introduced to Zoo Atlanta - WLTZ

8. TZFan

Oh I'm up to date on all of Brytne and Regnat's offspring that stayed in the AZA. They are easier to track given my usual source of info. It's the ones who leave the AZA I have trouble keeping track of.

9. TZFan

10. TZFan

Cheetah, Cleo, who now resides at Parc Safari has welcomed two male cubs July 13. The cheetah swap between Toronto and Parc Safari has produced 9 cubs in 8 months. Great move.

11. TZFan

Lots of breeding is expected from former and Toronto owned gorillas in the coming year.

Woodland Park - Amanda will move back into a retiree troop with Vip and Jumoke. Guess she an her former silverback who's name escapes me must not be getting along because he will be maintained alone. She and Vip get along well since they had three daughters.
    Cincinnati - Jomo will breed with Asha
    Little Rock - Sekani and Catherine will breed with Kivu. Catherine will undergo reproductive surgery to potentially make it possible for her to breed. This would be fantastic news since she it the only offspring of Caroline and if she doesn't breed that bloodline will die.
    Dallas - Subira will breed with Megan and Hope following Hopes full integration into the troop. This one has taken some time as the troop he is in has been rearranged twice and he did come close to death soon after moving to Dallas. Hope moved towards the start of the year so hopefully group stabilization has happened and the babies will start to arrive.
    Milwaukee - Shalia is still rearing Suliaman.
    Bronx - Ntondo (son of Julia) is medically unable to breed at this time. I don't know what that's in reference to. Once his medical condition improves though they expect to recommend breeding for him.
    Sedgewick - Barika (daughter of Julia) is still rearing Akila
    Gladys Porter - Mbundi (son of Tabitha, grandson of Barney and Josephine) no longer will be breeding at this time. There are some medical issues going on with the troops youngest member Tracy James so while they focus on him they are not to breed.
    Granby - Jawara (son of Julia) and Zwalani (son of Tabitha, grandson of Barney and Josephine) will remain bachelors and be joined by Sadiki and Nassir to hopefully form a single group. On a side note all Toronto owned bachelors including Bakari and Mosi will remain in their bachelor troops.
    Calgary - Zuri and Ywande will be joined by new silverback Jasiri from Atlanta but no breeding for either yet. He needs to arrive and settle first. Plus he will be breeding with the younger Dossi first. After that who knows. Might depend on the gender of that baby whether Zuri breeds again or Ywande is brought on as a breeding partner. She's still a little young.

There are about 5 more infants due from Toronto descendants but none of these are owned gorillas.

m30t likes this.
  12. TZFan

Former species at the zoo...

Mara

Grizzled grey tree kangaroo

Wallaroo

Tasmanian Devil

Kowari

Eastern Quoll

Woolly Opossum

Grey-headed flying fox

Indian fruit bat

Brush-tailed porcupine

Tamandua

Slow Loris

Potto

Senegal Galago

Guereza Colobus

Vervet Monkey

Debrazza's Guenon

Patas monkey

Hamadryas baboon

Gelada baboon

Japanese Macaque

Wisent

Liberian mongoose

Cusimanse

European Genet

Zorilla

Hog-nosed badger

Fennec Fox

Raccoon Dog

Bat-eared Fox

Bobcat

Chinese Leopard

Aardvark

South American Tapir

Damara zebra

Grant's zebra

Pronghorn

Chinese Water Deer

Siberian Roe Deer

Pere David's deer

Barasingha

White-tailed Deer

Mule Deer

Water Buffalo

Congo Buffalo

Nilgai

Sitatunga

Nyala

Bongo

Springbok

Gemsbok

Nubian Ibex

Dall's Sheep

Desert Hamster

Chimpanzee

Black Rhino

Scheltopusik

Woodland Caribou

Leadbeater's Possum

Golden Monkey (visiting)

Koala (visiting)

Common Crow

Mandrill

Coyote

Black Bear

Hyacinth Macaw

Bengal Tiger

Musk Ox

Impala

Thomson's Gazelle

South African Fur Seal

African Elephants

African Wild Dogs

Stingrays

Nurse Shark

Caracal

Black Duikers

Greater Flamingos

Ocelots

Madagascar Button Quails

Demoiselle Cranes

Fiji Banded Iguana

Eastern Grey Kangaroos

Parma Wallaby

squirrel monkeys

owl squirrel monkeys

Scimitar Horned Oryx

Kea

Thick billed parrot

Bearded Barbets

Toco Toucans

Greater Bushbabies

Lesser Bushbabies

Ruffled lemurs

Black Lemurs

Brown Lemurs

Pygmy Loris

King Vulture

Greater Rhea

Rock Hyrax

White Nosed Coati

Kinkajou

Asian Clawed Otter

Ringtails

Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig

Wolverines

Great White Pelican

Pink Backed Pelican

Singing Dog

Malayan Tapir

Emu

Brazilian Agouti

Prevost Squirrel

North American Porcupine

Burrowing Owl

Black necked swan

Goitered gazelle

Dhole

Sable Antelope

Gaur

Giant Panda (visiting)

For those counting 121 species that I can account for but I'm certain there are more. And that I can account for another 17 species are on phase out without me counting potential losses due to the master plan.

It would be fantastic to get even a small portion of the ones that would be reasonable to get back. I'm still a huge fan of giving me back wild dogs and aardvarks. Even those too would delight me endlessly.

13. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for this thread! It's been 6 or 7 years since I last went to toronto zoo (I dated a canadian for several years and we made frequent trips to the zoo), and it's amazing how many species are no longer there in just that short time span.

14. Palorchestes

Palorchestes Active Member

We had such a great primate diversity compared to now! And yes be prepared for this list to get a whole lot bigger...

15. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I'm really mad the elephants are gone. ****ing budget cuts!

16. Palorchestes

Wasn't purely budget cuts, the whole elephant thing became a PR nightmare as well all know. Honestly if the elephants weren't gonna get a massive upgrade i'm glad they went.

17. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I know. Those animal rights activists know nothing about the animals they claim to protect.

Palorchestes likes this.
  18. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any idea on what these 17 species are, TZFan?

Last edited: 22 Mar 2018
  19. TZFan

The elephant situation is a vastly complicated one which I have largely tried to block out to prevent cursing and fits of anger. Go back to when the decision was made in the threads to get a fuller picture of it if you want but the general gist had nothing to do with the activists to start with. In fact they only became a real pain in the rump once the decision was made. The keepers made an welfare decision for the girls as well as the whole zoo. We cant escape the fact Canada is cold and icy. The exhibit was also undersized for regulations that were just about to come into effect. A brand new state of the art winterized facility was needed. The projected cost for the project was going to be at that time I think $20 million and the exhibit was going to need to run from the current exhibit, taking the hippo exhibit, the entire back stretch of unused space in the savanna right to the top of the domain hill with a massive new winter barn and requiring a massive upgrade to the current barn to house bulls. Reality was that was a massive investment for the zoo to make in a single species, that still couldn't be out most of the winter and that estimate for all that work was likely unrealistic. Added to that was the fact that were also need rules about herd composition that were about to come into effect. A herd needs to consist of at least three elephants and we had three older girls. A new younger herd would have been needed. Where were we going to get that from? Bulls maybe but breeding age females. Who was going to give up their breeding age females? Import them from Africa? Yeah the activists would have liked that. The staff decided on their own after the estimate came in that it would be better to end the program for the health of the girls, to ensure they were not in violation of new AZA regulations (not that it mattered we still got the boot over the elephants just for a different reason relating to them) and for the good of the zoo as a whole. Many of the projects that have been done for the good of other species would not have happened if all the money had gone to the elephants. Once the decision was made then it became the nightmare it did. Wow I'm impressed I got that all out without flying into a mini rage... for that joy look back at the time the elephants left. I found lots of creative ways to bash a certain ex game show host who's name I wish never to mention again, I still use the same colourful names I used back then to refer to him if forced.

Of course I have a list for that! I just haven't added species that will be very likely lost due to the master plan.

Olive Baboon
    Barbary Ape
    Lion Tailed Macaque
    Mouflon (that's why only the males are in the drive through)
    Chamois
    Barbary Sheep
    Tur (though they keep breeding them for some stupid reason)
    Tahr
    Echidna
    Llama
    Reindeer
    Common Marmoset (though if breeding has begun again that might have changed)
    Bennett’s wallaby
    Swamp Wallaby
    Javan Whistling Duck
    Shelduck
    Little Pied Cormorant

And although I have heard nothing about it I would guess if other individuals are added these will go too.

White backed vulture
    Nile Soft Shelled Turtle
    West African Dwarf Crocodile (its an AZA phase out but some are breeding hard to say)
    White breasted Cormorants
    African Spotted Necked Otter (Fred is ancient and I think Lila is related to a lot of the possible breeders. Just don't see them importing new stock when they cannot breed them)
    White handed Gibbon (a chance when they go they wont be replaced or another species will move in with the orangs)
    Caiman (probably replaced with an SSP variety)
    Spider Monkey (very realistic since the plan is for the jaguars to take over the exhibit)
    Great Hornbill (They are both old and the empty exhibit could result in moving the babirusa or Komodos)

TheGerenuk and Yi Qi like this.
  20. Palorchestes

I wasn't to upset about the baboon phase out until TZFan told us they were the only olives in N America. Never would have thought. What do other zoos mostly keep? Chacma?