Join our zoo community

Forum going offline 2100 Sydney time (1100 GMT) for site upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 16 Jul 2008.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I'll be taking the forums offline later tonight for a couple of hours to do an upgrade of the forum software and some other maintenance on the site.

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

When do you sleep sim??? :D

3. Simon Hampel

Not at 9pm :p

4. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

lol...why did i think 9 pm was like 11pm lol

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Sim, some members might start pulling their hair out if they cant get on to the forum, lol

6. Simon Hampel

I know - withdrawal symptoms start kicking in pretty quickly!

That's why I'm giving everyone notice now ... they've got 2 hours to come up with something else to do for a while. I know it's going to be tough! :D

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sim,

Congrats on some great works late into the night!
    And thanx again for the explanation of the workings of the new website.

Incidentally, did you know that I was at that particular glacier ... a few months earlier. I suppose you must have slipped quite a few photographs of the ice colourings, the glacier itself and the brake-off in the bay.

Did you also visit Torres del Paine?

Cheers,

Jelle

8. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for all the hard work you put in Sim.

9. Simon Hampel

I took something like 500 photos that day - it was probably our most enjoyable day of the entire trip ... especially after seeing Condors quite close!

We did visit Torres del Paine - but only a day trip unfortunately ... we hiked up towards the towers and back. We would love to go back and spend more time there one day.

10. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great Update, Is there any way to upload more than one picture at a time?

11. Simon Hampel

You can zip your images to upload multiples at once - but make sure your zip file is no more than 20MB in size.

I've also set the upload page to show multiple file upload boxes - you can upload up to 5 photos at once.

I'm not sure how well these two options work (I haven't tested them) - I'd be interested in hearing some feedback from people who have used the zip upload or mulitple uploads.

12. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I've just tested the way of uploading 5 photos at once, and that works fine, but it does take a while;)

13. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Actually I don't think it works! I can't see any of my BoP pictures that I've just uploaded!

14. Simon Hampel

It possibly timed out before the files uploaded completely. This is an issue when uploading large files - which is just made worse when uploading multiple files.

If 1 at a time works, try 2 at a time, then 3, etc, until you find what works for you.

15. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Just on staying awake,
    If you want to stay up a lot longer I suggest you eat coco beans, they have natural caffiene and plus since of the strong taste you probably wouldn't want to relax,

16. Simon Hampel

Yes, but then when you do eventually want to sleep - you'll probably find that you can't.

I've made that mistake previously - taking a highly-caffeinated drink the night before a big presentation so that I could stay awake longer and get my preparation done. All it did was keep me from getting to sleep when I needed to - and I was completely wrecked the next morning ... only adrenaline kept me going, and then I crashed later in the day and was very unproductive.

Most of my friends and colleagues are amazed at the hours I keep, especially since I don't drink caffeine (no coffee, no coke, no jolt cola, not even tea). They accuse me of not being a "real" IT geek (I also don't like super-hot curries) :D

When I was at IBM, I worked from home most of the time (except when heading out to see clients or in a classroom teaching a course), so I mostly got to set my own schedule - and now I am self employed, I work when I'm awake and sleep when I'm tired.

Usually that means going to bed when my eyes are starting to feel strained (typically somewhere between midnight and 2am), and then sleep for 6 - 8 hours ... I never use an alarm unless I have an appointment, I just sleep until I've rested enough (rarely more than 8 hours unless I'm catching up after a string of particularly late nights).

After observing how many of my colleagues used to rely on coffee or cola to keep themselves awake, I'm convinced that it's like a drug that you become dependent on - many of them are non-functional until they've had several coffees each morning!

If I'm struggling to keep myself focussed - I find that power-naps are a great way of re-energising. Laying down and closing the eyes for 15 - 20 minutes (even if you don't really sleep) really helps.

17. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Hmm, my mum always tries using traditional chinese medicine I take tree root powder for growth, and when I need to stay up I take these red little balls in a capsule, mind me but those taste horrible,

I don't like things with Caffiene much either, weird thing about me is I hate chocolate,

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Problems with AOL

I've been trying to get on the forum since the 16th via AOL as usual and keep getting a message saying it's offline. I've managed to access it by Mozilla Firefox today and was surprised to see that it's been up and running as normal since your update and maintenance. Any ideas?:confused:

19. Simon Hampel

That's most likely a caching problem with the AOL browser, or perhaps with the AOL internet service (they may be using network level caches).

I admit that I have never used AOL or their browser, so I don't know about the issues or tricks.

No matter what the problem, it's bad form - the software (or network caches) should have checked the site and would have seen that it had been updated - and thus flush the cache and reload.

You can sometimes request a page reload (hit F5 in the browser), or force one (Ctrl-F5) ... but I don't know whether those keyboard combinations work in the AOL browser like they do in IE and Firefox.