Join our zoo community

Forum Idea(s)

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Van Beal, 19 Sep 2022.

Tags:
  1. Van Beal

Van Beal Well-Known Member

Okay, so maybe this idea is a little far-fetched in terms of likelihood, however I think it would be cool to have a forum for all (or most) of the animals held in AZA facilities and like their basic requirements (space, population, mixability, feeding, enrichment, etc) and within the forum sub-forums for mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, insects (?) and fish.
    Not sure if anyone would be willing to put this kind of thing forward but would still love for it to be considered.

cloudedleopard611 likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I'm not sure I follow - exactly what would the point of this forum / sub-forums be?

3. Van Beal

@Simon Hampel to be completely honest this could probably work more as a subforum for the Spec Zoo forum just so if people wanted to make their spec zoos more realistic in terms of animal containment and such... again probably not super easy to implement

4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@Van Beal the AZA has animal care manuals that are available to the public on their website:

Animal Care Manuals | Association of Zoos & Aquariums

They don't cover every species or group, but with time more are being added.

This is a better resource than anything that could realistically be made here I think; most people on the forum do not have the advanced expertise or knowledge to write care manuals themselves, and the few that do are largely too busy with their own careers and day-to-day work to put in hours for a forum project like this.

5. Van Beal

Okay thanks.