Join our zoo community

Fota Wildlife Park Fota Wildlife Park News

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by AthleticBinturong, 18 Feb 2014.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is a huge amount for one zoo!

BTW: really nice national park Kerinci Seblat NP, Sumatera.

2. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some small updates from the park.
    Building work ongoing in the spider monkey exhibit and in the general monkey island area.
    All three of the red panda exhibits are now inhabited.
    Seen one mara. Seems to be very few of them in the park these days.
    Seems to be some small work going on where the master plan had the bear exhibit.
    The tropical house remains closed.

3. Babyrousa

Babyrousa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like to think that the bears might be coming this year, if Covid doesn't cause too much delay - I've been waiting years for them to come!

4. AthleticBinturong

Would be fantastic! I reckon it’ll be 2022 though.

5. Babyrousa

I visited Fota last week with my family and, understandably, it was packed with visitors, though we still had a good time. I initially wanted to wait till after the bears and takin arrive, as I mentioned in my post following my 2019 visit (pg 5 of this thread), but I changed my mind. The biggest change since my last visit was definitely the Madagascan Village as I got my first feel of the area, with the lemur houses on both sides as you walk up towards the visitor hub in front of you. Even though the hub was closed, we could still look through the window, and we could see some tanks for fish and geckos inside. Near the end of our visit, I saw a male Edward's pheasant in the macaw aviary, and I know this species was mentioned in the brochure for the Asian Sanctuary that I got in 2013 (see page 4).

I'll soon be uploading some photos from my visit into the gallery, so stay tuned.

6. AthleticBinturong

The pheasant is a recent arrival then as I didn’t see it on my last visit in May.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Babyrousa

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  8. Babyrousa

Dassie rat, Swampy and Antoine like this.
  9. Babyrousa

The baby black-and-white ruffed lemurs have been named Rufus, Remy and Rahona (Malagasy for cloud).

10. Babyrousa

Antoine and AthleticBinturong like this.
  11. AthleticBinturong

Just walking out the park gates. Lots of work going on still around the spider monkey island. Two new houses have been built in this area too. According to a keeper these are for already resident species. 2? Tapirs I believe left for Ardmore mini zoo during the summer. Tropical house and Madagascar village house still not open.

kiang likes this.
  12. AthleticBinturong

The houses are new ones for howler monkeys and spider monkeys.

13. Babyrousa

14. AthleticBinturong

From Fota’s blog: “The OPW committed €1 million to essential capital infrastructural projects at Fota Wildlife Park. Other ongoing projects under this commitment include the Howler monkey habitat and the flood defence repair to the south sea wall.

Construction on the new Spider monkey habitat commenced in early 2020 but was temporarily suspended by the Covid-19 pandemic. The new purpose-built house has been designed with environmental sustainability and animal welfare in mind.

The state-of-the-art house features a four-meter-high ceiling that complements the animal’s natural behaviours. The building has underfloor air to water heating and glass viewing areas so visitors may see the Spider monkeys when they are indoors. The upgraded enclosure has been enhanced by extending the island habitat which is bordered by a water moat and accompanied by a new waterfall.

Minister Patrick O’Donovan said: “As Minister for the Office of Public Works, I am very pleased that we were able to step in and support Fota Wildlife Park during the exceptionally difficult time of the pandemic. I am delighted to see that the Government funding provided has enabled the progression of several important infrastructure projects and has contributed to the completion of the new Spider Monkey Habitat.”

Michael McGrath, Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, who spoke at the opening said: “I congratulate the management and staff of Fota on this great facility. The extended and upgraded enclosure for these wonderful animals is a testament to the Park’s commitments to animal welfare and to the staff’s determination to recreate in so far as possible, a habitat close to the natural environment of these active monkeys. Fota Wildlife Park is a great day out and a fantastic educational resource for everyone to learn about the importance of conservation.”

Sean McKeown, Director of Fota Wildlife Park said: “We are delighted to welcome Ministers O’Donovan and McGrath here today to mark the OPW’s contribution, which has made the continuation of our essential capital infrastructural works possible. The closure of the Park in 2020 due to Covid-19 and the associated loss in income meant that we had to halt or pause some key capital building projects such as the Spider monkey habitat and the south sea wall repair. We’d like to pay huge thanks to the Government and OPW for their commitment to Fota Wildlife Park. “

The southern sea wall refurbishment project is part of climate change mitigation measures that started in 2021 that include raising the sea wall by 400 meters and underpinning the sea wall base. This project alone cost over €630,000 which would not be feasible for Fota Wildlife Park to complete without financial assistance from the OPW.”

15. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For anyone interested Ardmore is quite near to Fota (50km) and has a nice growing collection of wild and domestic animals and birds. It is only open a few years but is a nice place in a good location. It has crested porcupine, capybara, mara, lemurs, chinchilla, prevosts squirrel, corsac fox, coati, 3 owl species, emu and macaw and lots more plus many domestic breeds. Nothing very rare yet but all very nice.

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  16. AthleticBinturong

One of a few smaller Irish collections which don’t get discussed at all on here. Such as Secret Valley, the Reptile village, Wild Ireland.

dublinlion likes this.
  17. Babyrousa

18. Babyrousa

19. Babyrousa

20. Babyrousa