Join our zoo community

Zoo Frankfurt Frankfurt Zoo

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Zebraduiker, 8 Jul 2008.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Many thanks for the info.

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

July 10 a Black howler monkey was born at Frankfurt :).

Jungle Man and Antoine like this.
  3. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Not the first, but hopefully the first who will survive a longer time.

Jungle Man likes this.
  4. Bib Fortuna

Two male Parmawallaby came from Berlin Zoo. They should be kept together with the Cassowaries.

The male Yellow back duiker has moved to the former Maned wolf exhibit, which was well planted for him. No idea, if there were any changes on the barn. The Zoo still tries to get a female from the USA.

twilighter likes this.
  5. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was afraid, that the Grzimek House can close again and decided to add Frankfurt to my short zoo trip. After the heavy marathon in Nuremberg, this compact city zoo was perfect size for today.

You can buy tickets for two time slots currently: 9:00 - 14:00 and 14:30 - 19:00. They emptying the zoo at 14:00 and the new guests entering in half an hour. I bought tickets for the both slots - the morning was quiet, but the afternoon relatively busy.

The Ape House, the Kiwi Center(with the Tree Kangaroo), Rhino/Hippo house and the 2nd floor of the Exotarium are closed, and the Rusty-spotted cat enclosure is still not ready. Everything else was visible.

My main focus was, of course, Grzimek House and I spent few hours there. I compared the current inhabitants with the full list, that @snowleopard generously provided in his Frankfurt review from last year. There are some changes, since then.

This is his list:

The Fat-tailed Dwarf Lemur and the
    Lesser Hedgehog Tenrec are not on display anymore. As far as I know they both been moved in the light area next to the Otters, but this and the next exhibits are occupied by Short-eared Elephant Shrews now. There were no Goeldi and Veiled Chameleon either.

My main goal was to see the Linnaeus's Mouse Opossum, because this was new Species, Family and even Order for me. I managed to see it after multiple visits twice: once briefly and once for about five minutes. The species, that never showed up were the Pygmy Glider, Smooth-sided Toad and the Small-clawed Otters , which probably were off-show, since they weren't outside either.

The GH was great experience and I can imagine what attraction it was in the 70's. Most of the animals were very active and there was a moment of greatness too. I catched the Aye-aye feeding time, when the lights were on and observed closely these unique primate.

There were nice scenes in the other parts of the zoo also. Only to watch the two young Bongos and the four babies Fossa, and to see the Spectacled bear/ Bush dogs in the beautifull Ukumari Land worth the visit.

Frankfurt weak and outdated parts were discussed here and the zoo definately needs to start work on the new Masterplan soon. There is no doubt, that they are still one of the best zoos in Germany and I hope will keep their legendary status in the future.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2020
    Brum, Neva, LegoOwl and 7 others like this.
  6. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I’m planning a visit this saturday during the morning slot.

If I read your review correctly, the “Bogori-wald” indoor enclosures are closed as is the second floor of the Exotarium (the best part, according to Snowleopard in his 2019 epic road trip :( ).

That would mean the bird-house is also open? Does the Grzimek-house still have the 9:30 opening-time?I also think I heard once that if you reach the Grzimek-house early, the lights are still on? But I have not heard it since, so I guess not? And what time would be the best time to see the aye-ayes? Any other tips to see some of the rarities?

Cheers to anyone that can help :)

7. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@jwer It's correct the Bogori Wald and Exotarium's second floor were not open. The last one was closed, because of roof repairment works, not because of Covid-19, so there's a chance to be open for your visit.The Exotarium was actually the most busy place, so is probably best, if you cover it earlier. Bird house, Giraffe house and the Monkey house were all open when I was there. The Grzimek's house opened at 10:00 not 9:30 and the lights of the first part of 25ish excibits were off all the time. The Aye-ayes could be observed in tree consecutive excibits and were very active all the time. Around 15:30 the keepers turned on the lights in one of them and feed the inhabitants there. Most of the other animals were also very active after opening time, but for the Pygmy Glider and Mouse Opossum you should probably need to make more visits and to have a pinch of good luck. Don't miss the last Rhino from the subspecies minor in Europe. The zoo is not very big, so you'll have enough time and hope you will enjoy your visit :)

8. janfc1948

janfc1948 Member

I just noticed on ZTL that Frankfurt Zoo just recieved a female yellow-backed duiker from a not-mentioned place in the U.S. After having checked their social media channels and website with nothing published on these, I wanted to ask if anybody has got some information on this?

In general, these are very nice news for the very small (all male I think) population in Europe.

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The female, born in 2018, is now on show with the male in the former Maned Wolf enclosure. Frankfurt has taken the lead in establishing a European monitoring program (step before an EEP) to create a European population. More imports will follow (confirmed for Schwerin, but more are planned).

News - Zoo Frankfurt

JurassicMax, AWP, Antoine and 3 others like this.
  10. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great news ! Hope the best for thnew paire.
    In 2014 Beauval has planned the arrival of yellow-backed duikers but it never arrived. Maybe this zoo still plan to receive some.

11. Bib Fortuna

Taken from this Zoo-News :

"Allerdings ist das viele Jahrzehnte her. Gelbrückenducker wurden zuletzt in den 1970er Jahren in Frankfurt gehalten." = ""However, that was many decades ago. Yellow-backed duikers were last held in Frankfurt in the 1970s".

Wrong. The last yellow backed duiker died there in June 1989, so far away from the 70ties. Do they not have an animal file in Frankfurt ? On a sign in the rhino house there is a photo of the black rhino bull Drucy from 1909, just 6 months old. And underneath it is written that the first black rhino was born in Frankfurt in 1909. A world sensation, 32 years before the world first breeding and this with only one animal in the stock, a 6 months old bull. Mature performance. Yes, Frankfurt Zoo does not know its own history. Otherwise they would know that the first black horn in Europe was born in december 1956 in Frankfurt.

"Im Frankfurter Zoo sind in der Vergangenheit sechs Jungtiere zur Welt gekommen – mehr als in jedem anderen europäischen Zoo" = "Frankfurt Zoo has given birth to six young animals in the past - more than any other European zoo."

Only half right. 6 were born, but only three survied, a female, born in 1966, died at Frankfurt in 1979. The male, born in 1967, was send to Busch gardens, Tampa, and another female, born in 1970, to Dallas. The fourth young, born in 1973, died three days later, the two next ones, born in 1974 and 1976, the same day. Two were born and raised at Antwrep, four were born-and two of them raised, at paris.

Well, with a bit of luck, Frankfurt could announce another birth in April or May next year. That would be nice.

12. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was in Frankfurt today.
    I was expecting a bit more from this zoo to be honest, they've had better days, legendary ones, but at the moment especially in the bird department it really feels like the best days are behind.
    I am not for the overcrowding of aviaries but I think in Frankfurt's case, many could have hosted a bit more birds, maybe another species or two sometimes. Something really well done in Berlin is the use of the ground by quails, ground-doves, sandgrouses, to what they add high perching birds (bee-eaters, fruit-doves, starlings) and finches to add a little energy to the aviary.
    The potential of this Bird house is phenomenal for such an old building, with a huge historic background considering the number of species it kept throughout the years.

Duiker wise, I saw the two individuals. Beautiful species, massive compared to other cephalophus. The female is off-show in the enclosure just behind the male's one. You can see her in the distance or from the path coming from the Bongo-Mhorr gazelle area.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2020
  13. Bib Fortuna

Could you see if they have extended the stable ? The Maned Wolf Stable alone would be much too small for yellow backed duckers.

According th the birds- bird collections are declining everywhere, not only in Frankfurt. The Frankfurt birdhouse is essentially still a good and functional birdhouse, but its greatest weakness is the lack of outdoor aviaries. Nevertheless, many more than just remarkable husbandry successes have been achieved here, and not least, several first breedings for Germany, Europe or the world.

14. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I do not know how the stable looked before, therefore, no idea.

Off course the collections are declining everywhere in Europe, but that was not my point. Berlin still has a great collection with interesting species and different species within the aviaries.
    In Frankfurt, in the walkthrough one had only 2 hamerkops, it felt a little underwhelming.
    Inside, one of the aviary only had one sunbittern. The australian one had 4 straw-necked ibises. The biggest issue is not the lack of rare species, it's the emptiness of the aviaries.
    And for a first time visit, when you've heard of all the success this house had in the past (and you can read about them entering the house), it is really disapointing to witness that the best was before your visit, that you came too late.

15. Bib Fortuna

Walter and Dolly, the pair of Yellow backed duikers, are together now-and it looks great. With a little luck, there will be a duiker fawn in 6 month. It would be the first one in europe since 2004

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The sniffing, licking and general behavioural cues seem promising for a good compatible pairing!

Antoine likes this.
  17. Bib Fortuna

Well, it takes a bit more than that to get a Baby Duiker, but I am confident that Walter already knows what to do.;)

I have to say, the Duikers are doing incredibly well in this exhibit and they look much better than in the former one at the old ostrich house. I think, they are now much more noticed by the visitors.

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the whole scheme of things the yellow-back duiker fit well with okapi and bongo (as well as bonobo and gorilla) at Frankfurt Zoo (viz also future planning).

HungarianBison and kiang like this.
  19. Bib Fortuna

The master plan was supposed to be released this fall, but it has now been postponed to 2022.

The zoo has announced today the birth of a gorilla, which already took place on September 7th. The mother is "Shira", the little boy "Arco" is her fourth baby. Daddy is Viatu of course.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Goodfellow tree-kangaroo female Jaya May was send to Yokohama Zoo today.

PossumRoach and Kifaru Bwana like this.