Join our zoo community

Zoo Frankfurt Frankfurt Zoo

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Zebraduiker, 8 Jul 2008.

1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

New species: A pair of Black and Rufous elephant shrew (Rhynchocyon petersi) arrived, born last year at Rotterdam zoo, and are now on display in the Grizmekhouse-They are the first elephant shrews in germany, since the last golden-rumped elephant shrew(Rhynchocyon chrysopygus)died in 1997-also kept at Frankfurt zoo.

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Jan 2017
    Surabaya, Coelacanth18 and Vision like this.
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I must have imagined the dozens of elephant shrews I have seen in Germany :p

Coelacanth18 and ShonenJake13 like this.
  3. Bib Fortuna

@TeaLovingDave.

What you seen are round-eared elephant shrews (Macroscelides proboscideus)-thats something diffrent than Rhynchocyon petersi and chrysopygus. But I forgot to write "the first elephant shrews of the genius Rhynchocyon in germany.;)Its defenitely time to give the Rhynchocyon-speices a new english name to avoid any confusion. So what about"Red shoulder Trunk puppy"for the Black and Rufous elephant shrew ?:)This is the english translation for its german name"Rotschulter-Rüsselhündchen"

Anyway, its great to have them back in germany.:)

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Jan 2017
  4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I generally call the members of that genus "Giant Sengi" or "Giant Elephant-shrew" myself :) in point of fact there *was* one example of a member of this genus present within a German collection in more recent years -Tierpark Berlin held a single Rhynchocyon cirnei offshow from 2013 until early 2015; plans to move the species on-display were cancelled by the new director and the individual concerned was eventually sent to Plzen where it *can* be seen on-show.

That said, the new arrival at Frankfurt is very much welcome and *is* the first time a member of this genus has been on-display in Germany since the Frankfurt animals you cite :)

5. Bib Fortuna

I would like to know in which daylight-exhibit in the Grzimekhouse they are kept-definetely not in the former Trunk Puppy exhibt, what was always to small for that species, altough only one specimen was kept in it. This exhibit was remodeld a few years ago and is now used for Gundis.

Because all exhibits were occupied during my last visit to the zoo, they had to remove one of the other species to another exhibit. Maybe the lesser mouse deer exhibit ? For a pair of Sengi, this would be the only exhibit I could imgaine for them( what it too small for the mouse deer, by the way and once the zoo has kept bush dog in it:confused:Its is large enough for The Giant Elephant Shrews, but not too high, so they can't use it for climbing animals like the other exhibits.

6. Bib Fortuna

The zoo got a new male Sumatran tiger-"Vanni"was born in 2010 in Rotterdam Zoo and came from Terra Natura Benidorm to Frankfurt.

For the next weeks, he will stay in quarantine.

Sumatra-Tiger zieht in den Frankfurter Zoo ein | hessenschau.de | Panorama

The new masterplan is finished, but not yet published. For the new africa exhibit, the zoo still wants to keep black rhinos, hippos, giraffes,zebras, baboons and okapis-maybe antelopes.

7. gabryatfendor

gabryatfendor Well-Known Member

Do you know if they are going to keep Eastern Black Rhinos or get a female for Kalusho who is a D.b.minor?

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They will eventually acquire eastern blacks. Southern male Kalusho is to remain / reside at Frankfurt in his twilight years.

9. gabryatfendor

gabryatfendor Well-Known Member

Thank you, Kifaru Bwana. Any idea when they are going to arrive?

10. Bib Fortuna

First they have to find a new home for Kalusho, but the problem is-he is the only southern black rhino in europe. They could send him to the Usa or australia.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not anytime soon. Frankfurt Zoo has as yet failed to provide a credible alternative for its lone male southern black rhino. I am not really sure if they are prepared to give it another go. If overseas and not back to range countries, Australia is the most likely destination. But I am not convinced at all they can pull a transfer off at all. I think the male will stay put for the rest of his life in Frankfurt. It is thus highly unlikely any eastern ssp. will arrive before his passing.

Aside it is not clear when and where they would like to site a new black rhino exhibit. The new Masterplan is supposed to be presented this spring and as much it is dependent on public funding by Council. We will have to see if they are more forthcoming than in the past, although early soundings from Council and the Culture Rep. seem promising. But in Frankfurt, ... it is seeing is believing first!

12. Bib Fortuna

I'm sure,"Kalusho"will not spend his rest life in Frankfurt. He is now 30 years old and not to old to be transfered to the Usa or australia, and the Zoo said they want to keep a breeding pair again. Nobody said the zoo is unable to provide a alternative for him, but the information policy of Frankfurt is in compare to other german zoos not good.

Kalusho will never see the new black rhino exhibit-with a bit luck, it will be finished in 15 or 20 years...The city of Frankfurt is has a huge mountain of liabillities-so there is no money left for the future masterplan of the Zoo...

By the way- it isn't necessary to keep hippos anymore at FFm-the Opel-Zoo Kronberg, close to Frankfurt, plans also with Hippos in the future, so it would make more sense for FFm to keep Pymy hippos instead of nile hippos. But unfortuantely I have to say, the current Zoo leadership is complete unable. So I hope, the next zoo diretcor-I have a speculation who it could be-will be better. That guy I belive he could be the next one, likes zoos and is very interested in them-so in diffrent to the present one who doesn't like zoos-and this is no joke.

But Frankfurt has not only a problem with Kalusho-there is also a single and lonely female Hippo...So I'm very curious how this Masterplan will look like.

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On Feb. 2 a White-faced saki was born at Frankfurt :).

14. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Gorilla twins born to DIAN second time...

Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  15. Bib Fortuna

Any source for that information ?

16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Gorilla twins born last week to Dian are not doing so well. One of the babies died on Friday, the surviving twin (a male) has been taken away for handrearing

17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My first visit to Zoo Frankfurt this weekend. Very enjoyable indeed.

Some impressions:
    i) Parts of the zoo closed off for construction of new penguin exhibit, including some of the outside areas of the cat house and areas nearby.....the gibbon house and enclosures were empty.
    ii) Delighted to see a yellow-backed duiker in the enclosure opposite the birds of prey aviaries. A first for me....Is this a remnant from Frankfurt's previous collection of duikers or a new import?
    iii) Loved the exoticarium and Grzimek house. Maybe not the collection of the past, but it certainly didn't look like it was falling down to me. Would seem servicable for some smaller species. Saw most species currently present (lots of aye-ayes and loris!), including the echidna......but no tamandua present or labelled? Really nice to see kowari and quoll again.
    iv) Shame the kiwi are off-show these days, but did get a good view of the tree-kangaroo next door.
    v) Lots of work going on in the main (larger) gorilla enclosure...so they were shut indoors.
    vi) Sable gone from central paddock.......label removed....only addax now present.

19. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is one of Wuppertal's animals and so from a more recent import from the US

20. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone would have posted if it had been, but has the Masterplan been released yet?