Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo free-ranging species in Burgers Bush, Desert and Mangrove

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by lintworm, 10 Mar 2015.

1. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Do we have any observations of Argus pheasant and Edward's pheasant in the Bush? Or at least, their locations?

2. Mr Gharial

I noticed a missing unsigned animal here, there are also convict cichlids in the stream between the caiman pond and the tortoise enclosure

3. 16217

16217 Well-Known Member

This is the area where i most often see the Argus Pheasants, during my latest visits I think ive seen them a total of 5 or 6 times.

Ive not personally seen the Edwards pheasants yet. But I assume they inhabit the same general area and possibly more towards the otters / leaf turtles aswell.

Attached Files:

Mr Gharial likes this.
  4. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

When i spotted the edwards pheasants they were behind the otter enclosure/leafturtles region. But again that is the place most animals start out and slowly find their spot through the hall over time.

5. Mr Gharial

I'll put them over there for now then, but give us any updates if you see them anywhere else

6. Mr Gharial

Bush.png
    Alright, here's an outdated bird map for the bush, still using the guide from page six. I didn't include the animals that were said to only still be a few individuals.

I used a (relatively) old recording from october to draw out the new restaurant, but I'm not sure how accurate it is, as I didn't focus on it and didn't take all the paths around it. I have no clue if that terrace or the the bird house are still there

7. PicanBird

Lungfish is likely dead, and is in the pond where you pictured the tilapia, and the tilapia in the pond where you drew the lungfish. and a lot of the species depicted aint there no more (like the crown parrots)

8. Mr Gharial

I thought that was one big river, oh well

Well, as I said, it was made with outdated information. What are some other updates? I'll take out the parrots

9. Mr Gharial

New free-roamer in the bush: The white-winged wood duck (Asarcornis scutulata). According to TimmieGuns observation and the thumbnail on their YouTube channel (video on the new species set to premier at 15:00) they like to hang out in the capybara pond (unsurprisingly)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Mr Gharial

The video just dropped, they got two individuals, one from France, one from the Czech republic (No specific zoos mentioned). They indeed prefer the capybara pool.

They also mentioned planning to add another specific duck species, but that species is not available yet (it's not mentioned which species exactly, I'll ask!)

Last edited: 20 Apr 2021
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. PicanBird

Okay this week I had two times a check on the uncertain birds. Bobwhites (mangrove) really manage to hide well, but I am still in assumption of them hiding in the dryforest area near the exit.

Today I spotted the Vietnam Pheasant and the Madagascar Ibis again near the giraffe stables (the new pair of Victoria Crowned Pigeon roam the whole hall looks like, as I have seen them on various spots this week.)
    Crowned Basilisk female spotted in the caiman area

12. Mr Gharial

This is an old one , but I think I can help here

RIMBA:
    Bear enclosure:
    Binturong
    Sun bear

Mixed plains exhibit:

Javan banteng
    Reeve's muntjac
    Common hog deer
    Myanmar thamin
    Siamang
    Sunda pig-tailed macaque

Monkey enclosure:
    Dusky langur
    Red-cheeked gibbon

Sumatran tiger

Asian water monitor

Reticulated python

Safari:
    South African cheetah

Lion (No subspecies)

Savannah plains enclosure:
    Southern white rhinoceros
    Beisa oryx
    Eastern white-bearded wildebeest
    Roan antelope
    Rothschild's giraffe
    Ellipsen waterbuck
    Grant's zebra

Pond below the kopje restaurant:
    Great white pelican
    Eastern grey crowned crane
    Helmeted guineafowl

Free-roaming (ish):
    Domestic chicken
    Helmeted guineafowl

They live under the bridge and can go into the savannah enclosure if they want, but the don't often do that

Not doing Ocean because half of the zootierliste list for Burgers Zoo is fish from Ocean

13. PicanBird

The crowned crane has been dead for over 1.5 years now. Do not forget the caiman in the Rimba at current times :)

14. Mr Gharial

Really?! Damn, last time I visited the signs were still up and I actually sent an email to ZooTierListe, since they didn't say that they were in Burgers zoo

Fair, but that's only temporarily. They'll move back in the Bush as soon as everything's open again (In, like, five years or so)

15. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Domestecated chicken ? I never seen them or even a signage for them in the zoo

16. PicanBird

Only use them to hatch guineafowl eggs, as guineafowl themselves are horrible at that stuff.
    So no signage needed as there are only a few among the hundreds of guineafowl

17. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

man, I hope then take a new couple of crowned cranes on the exhibit. It allways looked so nice, and they had quite a large area to roam.

18. Mr Gharial

They're listed on ZooTierListe, though I haven't actually seen one

19. PicanBird

Though I do have to make the comment @Mr Gharial that the enclosure list does not fit this specific thread as enclosures are not freeroaming. The only answer that could sorta fit is the guineafowl. But that is my opinion on a request from 4 years ago.

20. Mr Gharial

Correct, but it was something I was curious about too. We could make a separate thread for species lists in the enclosures (where we could also do one for ocean)