Join our zoo community

From roadside to association: Has it ever happened

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by SusScrofa, 22 Jun 2022.

1. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

Had there ever been a zoo that was once a roadside that somehow through improvement and lobby was able to gain the highest accreditation, like AZA or EAZA? Is it even possible for something like that to occur? I understand many of the best of todays zoos had terrible husbandry practices in the past by todays standards, but this was normal for the time, so those shouldn't count.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wildlife World Zoo, a roadside zoo in Arizona, once had AZA-accreditation, although they lost it a few years ago.

SusScrofa likes this.
  3. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

Go back far enough and most U.S. zoos started as private collections or city park menageries. Has it happened recently? Other than Wildlife World, mentioned above, no. That may have to do with the fact that nothing in the zoo world has really happened recently. Most zoos date back to the 80s or before.

If aquariums count, Dallas World Aquarium has shades of what you’re looking for. Private ownership, no real public investment, some historic animal acquisition practices most zoos would balk at, still recognized as one of the best aquariums in the U.S.

4. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is a good example. The DWA did indeed start out as a small aquarium in a warehouse and its now expanded its collection to the point where it would qualify as a zoo rather then an aquarium.

Kaleb likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

DeYoung Family Zoo is a roadside zoo with some really good exhibits, and is regularly sent animals from AZA zoos, although they've never been accredited themselves.

Kaleb and StoppableSan like this.
  6. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Snake Farm and Animal World in New Braunfels Texas has I believe.

It is a ZAA member currently. In the 1980’s it was pretty dismal. I believe it was purchased by a Doctor in the 90’s or 00’s who worked to improve and legitimize the place. Despite 8 years in Texas…included four living one town away…and numerous visits to the state, I have never been.

Kaleb and Bengal Tiger like this.