Join our zoo community

Southern Encounter Aquarium and Kiwi House (Closed) Further Christchurch Earthquake

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 22 Feb 2011.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good to hear you and your family have come through this hellish time for all New Zealanders, a long way to go for everyone over there, but they are made of strong stuff down under.
    Welcome back mate.

2. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

I'll echo the others--glad you are back and so happy to know you weren't physically harmed. We'll be following your saga with interest and the wishes for all the best. Take care.

3. Paulag

Paulag Member

I've also been following this thread - we spent a good part of our honeymoon in Christchurch and have been back a couple of times since and enjoyed our visits to southern encounter. Practical fishkeeping carried the story of the heroic rescue of the fish last September and so it was one of the first things I thought of when I heard about this earthquake.

My best wishes go out to all the people of Christchurch and wish you well in your future career - I suspect the staff of Southern Encounter will go down as minor heroes of aquarium fishkeeping lore.

Paula

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

once again, thanks everybody - always nice to know people appreciate you not being dead :D

I have indeed read through that whole tiger thread and it was a doozy. I am sad to have missed that, there really were some gems incased within, but it seems a bit late to post in it now. Although if I did we could probably guarantee that peacockpheasant-Dicerorhinus would make his first post in it to chastise me for my belittlement of innocent minds.

not since you told me there were no lemmings or snowy owls there!

5. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

As all have probably heard, there was an 8.9 earthquake of the coast of Japan, the 5th largest in modern history. It is about 8,000 times larger than the one in Christchurch. I just didn't want this to go unnoticed after so much attention was paid to the Christchurch earthquake.

6. Chlidonias

we certainly noticed it in NZ on the news. Much larger than the Christchurch quake, followed by a ten metre tsunami hitting their shores. Really terrible stuff. There were tsunami warnings for the whole Pacific, but by the time it reached NZ it had become a forty centimetre tsunami fortunately.

A 6.1 has just hit off Tonga too.

The Ring Of Fire isn't a very appealing place to be living right now.

7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Quite right too. Horrendous pictures coming out of Japan at the moment. As Chli says, a bad time for the Pacific region just lately.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Takes more to kill a Kiwi ..! ;) Glad and sad at the same time I suspect as far as home and grounds is concerned. Well fine you are in one piece.

As to new horizons: why not Fiji (so many herps)?
    Take that Indonesia ticket ... (you will enjoy that no doubt).

Looking forward to more of your eloquent self.

9. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Glad to see back Chli, all our thoughts are still with the people of Chch (and now Japan)...

10. Chlidonias

Christchurch is still battling on, although an estimated 75,000 residents have left -- about one-fifth of its population! Apparently 40% of the people on my side of town have fled, but then I do live in the worst-affected part of town. Not surprisingly given the level of destruction around the place, it looks certain that the upcoming Rugby World Cup will be moved to another NZ centre!

Japan is catastrophic with at least tens of thousands dead and the terrible threats of nuclear meltdowns -- one thing I'm really glad we didn't have to worry about over here!!!

11. NZ Jeremy

The Japanese plants have a third level of containment that the Soviet Boiler Reactors never did so even if the core melts down at 3000 C and drops to the floor it should be contained - i.e. no Chernobyl, but as they say, "a nuclear incident isn't when 1 thing goes wrong, it's when 10 things go wrong"...

12. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Welcome back Chli!!! Glad you and your family are safe and well.

Just out of curiosity, have any zoos been effected by the Japanese Earthquake (if there is any reports on that yet) and are any zoos close to the nuclear reactor?

13. Chlidonias

14. sonicjett

sonicjett Member

AQUARIST JOB for Chlidonias

Chlidonias: never mind McDonalds – how about this newly advertised job:
    All the best.

Aquarist: The Aquarist will assist the Team Leader in all aspects relating to the staffing, husbandry and maintenance of the Aquatic life in the Aquarium.

Kelly Tarlton's | Auckland City | Listed Friday March 18 2011

15. Chlidonias

That sounds good....not sure I'd really want to live in Auckland though :)
    There's also a couple of jobs vacant at Auckland Zoo at the moment (keeper in NZ birds; and "team leader" in reptiles and inverts).

Aquarium guide/educator/technician available at Picton Aquarium too (but that's definitely not somewhere I'd want to work), and potentially one at Mapua.

However I'm pretty much set on Tasmania, even if I'm not working in an animal field.

........tiger handler at Dreamworld sounded tempting though :D

16. NZ Jeremy

How dare you besmirch my beloved Auckland... :)

17. Chlidonias

that would be the Auckland that is built on top of 49 volcanoes? ;)

.........living there's just asking for trouble if you ask me :D

18. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Too tempting for me. :)

19. Chlidonias

further to the Christchurch earthquake and its effect on the animal attractions of the city, the International Antarctic Centre has now reopened (on 26 March). While Orana and Willowbank were open again straight away, the Antarctic Centre had to wait a month for all the safety checks on its building to be completed. I went along today to visit one last time before I leave the city for good. Their Antarctic fish tank is now empty (not due to the quake, just they decided to not keep it running any longer, probably due to costs, but its a shame not having the fish and sea spiders there any more) but the penguins are still there. I posted a few photos here New Zealand - Other Gallery

20. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Still.........................?:(