Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Future of the Bronx Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 8 Apr 2009.

1. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What happened that got all of these zoos into the current financial situation?

The rest of this is in response to people earlier talking about what a modern zoo is:

Also, I think that even though few zoos are great conservational centers, at least most zoos do a little effort (Not in field work, but supporting organizations, ie. polar bears international, or the snow leopard trust), and a lot of smaller zoos have vast room to improve, its not like they are all cramped and limited and have nowhere to go / grow.

I don't think that zoos are all about conservation though. I think zoos are most important for appreciation, since once you appreciate an animal and love it, you start to want to learn about it, and start to love it even more. Thats how I started to love elephants.

Zoos try to be good education-wise, but they usually fail in that department, with guests confusing lions and tigers, or hippos and rhinos. If anyone thinks those two animal mix ups are exaggerations, I have witnessed both of them from full grown adults.

I think that Zoos would do better education-wise if more and more of them start to evolve into kind of "living museums", because then guests will expect to learn more, and I think then they will learn more. Guests right now expect to just watch animals, but more and more exhibits are becoming increasingly educational based. Elephant Odyssey at the San Diego Zoo and CGF here are great examples of this (I know CGF is like 30 years old, but it still is pretty good education-wise).

2. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

The WCS Zoos and aquariums were deeply impacted by the recession in 2007-2008. A lot of funding comes from the city and state, which was drastically cut. Also a lot of endowments come from rich NYers who lost money in the recession as well. And during a recession less people visit and can afford to spend less income on a zoo visit. The WCS did not really cut back on its conversation goals during the recession; however funding for the zoos and aquariums were cut. The Prospect Park and Queens zoos were almost closed at least once during this time. With the recession ended (in NYC at least) it seems like there is more recovery at the zoos and aquariums.

I think it is admirable that the WCS does so much for conversation outside it's zoos. It talks the talk with regards to really making a difference in saving species and nature all over the world as well as run 5 world class living institutions. And an exhibit like CGF exemplifies that and is NOT 30+ years old!! It opened up in 1999. Sorry for the exclamation points, but I remember when CGF opened and I am not that old.

As for the future of the Bronx Zoo: I do hope soon we will hear what the next major project is. Madagascar was the last one and I agree they think in decades. If you look at the history of the zoo, major exhibits always seem to come in fits and starts. I am glad the Children's Zoo, Zoo Center and World of Birds got some refurbishment. I like seeing new species like the markor, galagos, blue penguins, kiwi, komodo dragons and several other species. And I an very excited for the Shark exhibit opening at the NY Aquarium next year (or 2017). What will be the next Madagascar, Tiger Mountain, CGF or Jungle World?? Maybe it will be the African Safari idea.

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do any of WCS collections hold common hippo?

4. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No, no common hippos, not since the 1980s.

5. ZooElephantMan

What about Pygmy hippos

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Getting visitors to fall in love with animals is often what gets those same visitors to financially and politically support conservation. There is a real connection.

I wouldn't judge the education success of an institution on the occasional stupid things one overhears a visitor say. Stupid is everywhere. And besides, there is nothing wrong with coming to the zoo with family or friends just to enjoy being outside around "Nature." Who wants a quiz at the end of a fun outing?

I wouldn't overlook the retirement of WCS' leader for 30 years, Dr. William Conway. He had built the relationships with the institutions and individuals (Rockefellers, Astors, etc.) that were essential to funding new projects. With that generation gone from the scene the two recent Presidents need to start all over. Old loyalties are often to individuals as much as to a cause.

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nope.

~Thylo:cool:

8. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If the Bronx Zoo does redo their African Plains exhibit as planned, I'd like to see more mixed species exhibits (think of the San Diego Safari Park). I'd also like to see the white rhinos in the exhibit and, perhaps, tour vehicles that can drive into the exhibit (again, like the San Diego Safari Park). Also, a return of cheetahs would be wonderful.

9. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the masterplan there was no mention of anything like that whatsoever.

And as for the truck/tram thing, that would never happen for several reasons

1)There are moats everywhere and
    2) It's certainly not as big as SDWAP

10. ZooElephantMan

I would like to see either hippo species since there are none in any WCS zoo, and maybe not in any zoos at all in new york also, but I am not sure about that second claim.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2015
  11. savethelephant

I am afraid I don't understand your statement, but what I do know is that no WCS institution could house hippos at the moment. And where in the Bronx zoo would it be?

12. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone have a link to the Bronx Zoo master plan?

13. savethelephant

14. ZooElephantMan

That link to the master plan doesn't work for me. Is there a different one?

15. savethelephant

16. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, the link works.

17. ThylacineAlive

Nothing wrong with most of the enclosures they currently have in African Plains, of course.

I would, too, like to see some more hoofstock diversity in the exhibit. There's certainly plenty of room to add a good few more species. Additionally, the return of Cheetahs would be very cool and something like Shoebilles or Secretary Birds would be a very cool addition as well. It'd also be cool if they built an outdoor enclosure for their big Nile Crocodiles, though being as they'd be off-exhibit for much of the year, not sure if this is worth it. Before these, however, I'd more like to see a larger indoor giraffe building and Lion enclosure be built.

As for hippos, I think Pygmy Hippos put into CGF would be much more feasible for the zoo.

Of course, I'm not aware of the zoo planning any of this so for now it's just fantasy.

18. bigfoot410

Have been thinking about this so here are some areas of the zoo I would focus on:

African Plains: Address the empty space and better viewing and utilization of the large yards. If possible: combine the giraffe and gazelle yard- this will become a much larger savanna with maybe a large overlook by the African café. I would have the large giraffe herd, ostrich, bue crane and gazelle as well as at least 2-3 other antelope species (sable, impala, blesbok). The zebra exhibit could have eland or the white rhino brothers added. I would also change viewing points some as overlooks and other trails to get closer.
    As for the old and empty space- the Africa safari area could focus on smaller species and have a children’s zoo edge (maybe giraffe feedings, fox ears, play spaces). Animals could include bat eared fox, serval/caracal, patas monkey, ground hornbill, duiker, crowned crane, nile crocodile (move the large ones here and the small croc in World of Reptiles to Madagascar), meerkats (cause every zoo has to have meerkats!), and maybe a return of the cheetahs in a yard boarding the main savanna and the safari area.

Renovate and retheme the Aquatic Bird Building into either an Australasia or South American Theme-
    a. Australian theme would then include the old rare animal range becoming Australian/Oceania themed too.
    b. Koalas are expensive; but I can’t see the zoo building a major Australia area without them. They would go in the scarlet ibis space if more height and major renovations could be completed. Kiwi, kookaberras and little penguins would stay. Palm cockatoos, kagu, eclectus parrots could be some of the birds displayed while carpet and black headed pythons, frilled dragons and other reptile species could be added. The last two exhibits could house an Australian swamp (for birds) on one side and tree kangaroos (with many more climbing opportunities then Jungle World) on the other. Outside would be a multi-acre kangaroo walk through, dingoes, emu, cassowary, wombats, rock wallabies and if $ allows Tasmanian devils.
    c. If South American themed I would keep the scarlet ibis swamp (with renovations) and have the building themed as a flooded forest (so the Monkey House renovation could focus on a dry forest). Anaconda, large turtles, caimans would all have aquatic habitats. Smaller species could include some of the new world monkey species (cotton top tamarins, golden headed lion tamarins), tamandua, tyra and other small species. I do like the Australia area better; but this could work-
    d. If South American themed- they could try an outdoor South American area again in the old Rare Animal Range: Jaguar (I know they are supposed to go to Queens), tapir, maned wolf, capybara, flight cages for Andean Condor and King Vultures, outdoor exhibit for the capuchins, add howler monkeys, bush dogs, ocelots, peccaries etc.
    e. Or another idea for the old Rare Animal Range...

Monkey House renovation: this would cost a lot of money; but done in the same style (with no wedding venue) like Madagascar. Focus would be on forest corridors including near the Atlantic Coast of Brazil and forest tracts in Central America that are impacted be farming and Urban sprawl. Golden Lion Tamarin, Saki and Titi monkey, pygmy marmosets, silvery marmosets, several bird species, iguana, boa constrictor, possibly a nocturnal section (bats, night monkey, prehensile tailed porcupine, sloth and kinkajou) in a series of 3-4 rooms with immersion and themeing similar in style to Madagascar.

Those are just thinking out loud ideas; but part of the zoo future will be filling in these empty spaces and hopefully renovating spaces that need it. I will post my other ideas soon.

evilmonkey239 and AmbikaFan like this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

Interesting ideas. Though definitely no Meerkats!:p

My only question here is, is the Monkey House big enough for all of that?

20. bigfoot410

In the Monkey House if they design the building like Madagascar (night quarters and keeper facilities in the basement, filling in the outdoor cages into the indoor space) you could make it work for some (maybe not the Nocturnal area). The old house had over a dozen habitats of various sizes (capuchin and squirrel monkey exhibits being the largest), but with a total renovation you could make the exhibits taller and use more of the space while making ADA acceptable.
    Entry room: Silvery Marmoset and Saki monkey, bird habitat (toucan species), 1-2 reptile/amphibian exhibits.
    2nd room: Maybe forest at night right outside a city (can see and hear city sounds in the distance) large habitat for night monkey and prehensile tailed porqupine, another large habitat for 1-2 bat species and sloth, smaller habitat for kinkajou.
    3rd and largest room: at least 2 primate exhibits (golden lion tamarin, tits, cotton top tamarins), pygmy marmoset, tamandua, another bird habitat, boa constrictor.
    10 larger exhibits, 3-4 smaller ones. It might be too tight depending on how large the exhibits are. For the primates especially I would want very vertical exhibits.

It's not easy actually trying to design an idea with strict parameters and I have no idea how expensive this would be. I wouldn't be surprised if this cost more than my African ideas.

AmbikaFan likes this.