Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Future of the Bronx Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 8 Apr 2009.

1. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

For several years prior to the announcement of Madagascar, the Lion House was supposed to become a flooded forest exhibit. I'm not sure how far the planning for that exhibit progressed (anyone else know?), but using some of the same ideas in the similarly sized Monkey House might work well.

2. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Yes, on the old Lion House throughout the 1990's there were postings discussing the upcoming Flooded Forest. It never started construction; however I remember clearly it was supposed to have housed anaconda, caiman, piranha, jaguarundi, bush dog and giant otter, among others. I never saw any plans so I don't know details; but ultimately maybe it was good this wasn't built because I don't know if giant otters and bush dogs would do well in an all indoor exhibit. I would have loved bush dogs and a greatly expanded and upgraded otter exhibit for giant otters in the current Children's Zoo.

3. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

I had always imagined that the Flooded Forest would be part indoor and part outdoor - I remember many of those species listed, and I agree that it would have been sad if giant otters and bushdogs were relegated to all-indoor exhibits.

I don't remember when the signs came down - I know they were still up in 1996, but after that, I didn't make it back to the zoo until 2001, and I don't recall when Madagascar was announced. Anyone know anything more about the timeline? Was there ever any reason given as to the change in plans?

4. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member

Well Madagascar OPENED in 2008...

5. bigfoot410

I know up until at least 1999 (when CGF opened) that the Flooded Forest plan was on the Lion House. As a kid I assumed that would be the next big exhibit. However; at least by 2003-2004 Madagascar was announced as the next big exhibit and construction actually began. I do not know why the exhibit changed. It could have been because the original plan came from the late 1980's-early 1990's. They might have realized it might not be feasible to put large species like giant otters indoors. Or what I think is likely; Madagascar is a conservation and biodiversity hot spot that the WCS does a lot of work in that has been highlighted. And at the time for US zoos, there was no comprehensive Madagascar exhibit other than lemur displays. So it allowed the zoo to have another unique and World Class exhibit.

I agree that a Flooded Forest type exhibit should have indoor and outdoor elements unless only small species are being displayed.

6. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member

And get rid of their kiwis?!

7. bigfoot410

It's fantasy. If the ABB was rethemed as Australian the kiwis would stay. If not; my ultimate Bronx Zoo renovation ideas would try to fit them in a possible new World of Darkness or into the World of Birds in a dedicated and nocturnal exhibit. I somehow in the last day actually wrote out several ideas for the future of the zoo, both ideas of areas I think the zoo will renovate next and just areas I'd like to see refurbished.

8. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member

I think WOB needs a face lift

I love being with the birds but the aesthetic is very dated.

Also, I'm gonna preach to the choir by saying that something needs to be done with the monorail. My dream would be a world class-elephant-rhino habitat that stil incorporates the handsome hoof-stock collection.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2016
    Levyzz likes this.
  9. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member

Are there any future developments slated for the Bronx?