Join our zoo community

Geographically Incorrect Exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MonkeyBat, 6 Jan 2021.

1. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

In the 1970's Brookfield Zoo kept together a Capybara and a Pygmy hippo.
    In the 2000's Veszprém Zoo kept their Impalas with Red ruffed lemurs.
    In the 1910's Budapest Zoo kept together their Lowland tapirs with a Malayan tapir.
    In the 1970's Budapest Zoo kept together a Southern hairy-nosed wombat with a baboon.

2. Sausagefingers

Sausagefingers Well-Known Member

Yea this was due to space and the pottoroo were a popular animal so not wanting to loose them. It's worked fine to be honest. Just an odd mix. But when space is limited I'm all for sensible mixs if breeding is happening.
    Azars agouti are/were held with geographically correct animals. Emperor tamarin I believe.

3. CrashMegaraptor

CrashMegaraptor Well-Known Member

Cotswold Wildlife Park's tropical house. I like it in a way because it's almost like it's showing tropical animals from all over the world rather than just one set area....but clearly it's obviously geographically incorrect. I don't remember all the animals that it had, but when I went a couple of years ago, I remember seeing....

• A Madagascan Fody perched not too far away from a Nicobar Pigeon
    • A Rodriguez Flying Fox hanging next to a Linneaus' Two-Toed Sloth
    • A Crested Wood Partridge, Green-Naped Pheasant-Pigeon and Long-Nosed Potoroo eating together.
    And these are all in the same exhibit, mind. The second one did look pretty cool, though.

MonkeyBat likes this.
  4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes, I mean Shaldon is for obvious reasons very tight on space and so I can understand why this mix was done for practical reasons.

Of course, it is good that it worked out which isn't suprising at all as the species in question have very mellow temperaments.

But for me personally in educational and aesthetic terms it is one of those mixes which on a gut level I just do not like to see at all.

5. Sausagefingers

Of course its best to keep all geographically correct maybe this is hey thr pottoroo left the collection.

Newquay have always been good that this.

6. The Cassowary

The Cassowary Well-Known Member

I know Memphis Zoo has kept the strange mix of wombat, six-banded armadillo, and greater bushbaby in an enclosure in their nocturnal house. I’m not sure if they still do as I haven’t been to the zoo in quite a while due to the pandemic.

7. Sausagefingers

Actually I remember giant jumping rat, slow loris and busy baby at shaldon also. That was also odd

8. CrashMegaraptor

CrashMegaraptor Well-Known Member

I mean, I know that's extremely geographically inaccurate, but that sounds absolutely adorable.

Birdsage likes this.
  9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Sorry, didn't understand, that was why the potoroo left ?

Yes, an example from Newquay I can think of that I saw in the gallery (which I thought was very impressive from an educational and aesthetic point of view) was the narrow striped mongoose and crowned lemur mixed species exhibit.

I don't know if this mix was actually so good for the animals though.

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Again, I have to be honest but I really do hate that mix.

Particularly given the fact that Shaldon have both other Malagasy species that could have been equally well suited to being mixed with the giant jumping rat and mouse deer that could be mixed with the loris (which I believe they did at one point, right?).

Birdsage likes this.
  11. Sausagefingers

Just a guess as to why pottoroo left the collection, would seem logical as this was after a new director took over the collection.

Newquay does/did mix crowded lemur and narrow striped mongoose and the lemur had off spring, not sure about thr mongoose. They also mixed owstons palm civit, pygmy slow loris and prevost squrill at one point I think.

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

But I remember you saying before on the forum that the reason that the potoroo left was somehow related to its replacement with the woylie.

I think both of these examples at Newquay are quite interesting and sound great.

13. Sausagefingers

I think originally the nose deer were mixed with pygmy marmosets, another odd mix. The giant jumping rat were mixed when they had no other small madasasgan spices. I believe shaldon was the 1st collection in Europe to receive giant jumping rat from Jersey after they started breeding them.

14. Sausagefingers

Yea the woylie arrived around the same time but went into there own exhibit. Its just a guess in relation to the pottoroo.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

That is interesting regarding Shaldon being the first zoo to have received the giant jumping rat from Jersey and it is a suprise to me as I would have expected either Bristol or London to have been.

16. Sausagefingers

Yea they had a great relationship with Jersey, they were fairly quick to join the pied tamarin breeding program too. And the gentle lemurs they received were genetically highly valuable.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

It certainly sounds it, and I would hope that they still have a great working relationship with Jersey.

Honestly, both of these zoos have done wonders for our project in Brazil and I admire the ethos of both of them.

Sausagefingers likes this.
  18. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I'm so shocked I forgot about the Mediterranean Donkey, Red Kangaroo, and Grants Zebra at one of my favorite zoos. Anybody wanna guess where?

MonkeyBat likes this.
  19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

At least in terms of the first two, it isn't that geographically incorrect as feral donkeys are an invasive species in Australia.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2021
  20. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Well I should have been a bit more specific as these are miniature Mediterranean donkeys which are a breed from the US. The donkeys you are talking about are Australian Donkeys. So this mix is North American, African, and Australian.