Join our zoo community

German zoo memberships

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Shirokuma, 18 Jul 2019.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I am planning a two week visit to Germany at the end of August.

The provisional list of zoos to visit is Cologne, Dortmund, Duisburg, Krefeld, Wuppertal, Wilhelma, Frankfurt then Munich, Augsburg and Nuremberg. I will probably go to Innsbruck (which will be my 100th zoo) and maybe Salzburg if I have time. (I have been there before. All the rest are first time visits).

Is there a membership I can get which will give free or discounted admission to other zoos?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Some German zoos actually offer entry discounts to other zoos in their memberships, but only to neighboring zoos. There are no free entries to other zoos. You also have to pay for the membership, so it's not worth it. So, you'll have to bite into the sour apple and pay the full entry fee for these zoos.

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't worry too much, by and large German zoos are cheap as chips (esp. when you consider what you're usually getting). :)

Shirokuma and lintworm like this.
  4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Thank you both for the replies

5. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

In compare to France or the Netherrlands, german zoos are indeed cheap, because most of them are owned by the city, but for this ten zoos you plan to visit, you have to pay, I guess, around 140-150 Euro. You can check it on their websides.

But you also get someting offered for the money. The price / performance ratio is excellent. The from you selected zoos offer high-quality animal husbandry, and what is important to many zooenthuasists, species-rich animal collections with abundant rarities.

Shirokuma likes this.