Join our zoo community

Giant Anteater question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ajmcwhipsnade, 31 May 2017.

1. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This may seem a strange and random question however it's for some Zoo research I'm doing. Is it best to have two enclosures for Giant Anteaters or can you have a pair together in one?

Hope it's not a stupid question!

2. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Generally, it is better to have two enclosures for male and female separation after the sucsessful production of an offspring. An example of this is Chester; When they kept a pair they had 2 paddocks. The old Yellow Mongoose enclosure (Which had the male) and the old Kangaroo enclosure (Which held the female and offspring) and they would be bought together for breeding. A similar situation was at Longleat when they had female with a baby, the male was kept in one enclosure and the female was kept separate in another enclosure. Hope that helps :)

3. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ok great that is a lot of help. When I have seen giant anteaters at London Zoo they have two enclosures so it makes sense!

I know its a random question, but I have a zoo I design so I was just interested to know!

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Any species you are keeping more than one animal it is best having at least two enclosures so you can separate animals. Not everywhere can do this but to me you should always be prepared and build something suitable.