Join our zoo community

Gimmicks in our zoos (UK)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyjp, 22 Oct 2015.

1. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Gimmicks in our Zoos - Halloween specials , Meet father christmas or an easter egg hunt - are they really necessary or just a lack of immagination.
    Personally I can take all the above but the one that really grinds my gears are large inanimate dinosaurs - why? I dont want them there.otherwise lets put dodos or other extinct animals in it

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Why are 'dodos or other extinct animals' any better to display than dinosaurs? You could argue, I suppose, that those are extinctions caused by humans so educates the visitor about that etc.

I think some dinosaurs in moderation could be a good thing, provided that they are scientifically accurate and are accompanied by appropriate educational information. (Though I do get the argument that zoos should be for living animals and to see extinct ones you should go to a natural history museum etc.)

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Face the facts. Zoos survive because people pay to walk through the turnstiles. In the off-peak season, zoos have to work harder to attract visitors than they do in high summer. There are lots of alternative attractions competing for visitors.
    I don't object to the gimmicks provided that attract visitors without interfering with the animals and the keepers and the basic purpose of the zoo. As long as they pay their way and they are kept separate from the animals and the regular visitors, I don't think we should object. I reckon the dinosaurs have been very effective, they have attracted visitors and the children who have come to see the dinosaurs are the children who are likely to become interested in the live animals too: moreover I believe that they are relatively cheap to hire and very low maintenance compared to the zoo's other animals ;)

Alan

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The only good thing about Edinburgh's dinosaurs was that I was able to get a cup of tea at the top of the hill due to the extra catering facilities connected with them. I didn't go near the models, they don't interest me. I go to the zoo, as most of us do, to see live animals, but I have mellowed slightly from previous rants on this subject and now tend to agree with GL - as long I can avoid them, they are a necessary evil financially, which we will probably have to put up with.
    I'd much rather see more animal exhibits in any zoo, but as long as the dinosaurs are in zoos with the space for them I'm afraid that I'll have to put up with them.