Join our zoo community

Belfast Zoo giraffes and zebras

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by nicola08, 3 Jul 2009.

1. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Your best option is to contact one of the Belfast keepers on here.

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The Ostrich like Bird you saw was a Darwins Rhea,I believe the Zebra in with the Blesbok and Sitatunga is the breeding male and is being held with them to stop breeding for the time being.The enclosure you saw being built by the Childrens Farm is for Red Squirrel's.As for any new species arriving at Belfast Zoo has they do but its not my place to say what they have arriving and doubt the staff will say either,so you will just have to wait and see!!!

3. Mr MonkeyMan

Mr MonkeyMan Active Member

Thank you very much :)

4. Mr MonkeyMan

Belfast Zoo are planning on getting in more bird species: purple-crested turaco, guira cuckoo, hooded pitta, fairy bluebird, Pekin robin, white-rumped shama and another starling species.

5. Mr MonkeyMan

Got quite a few quick questions about the zoo regarding the animals:

1. Are bthe black footed cat still in the zoo or have they moved off to another zoo?

2. Regarding antelope species, is there plans to get anymore in?

3. Was at the zoo the other day and couldn't find the sloth... are they stil in the rainforest house and are the red footed tortoise permanently staying in the reptile house??

4. How many Maned Wolves is there in the zoo?

5. Is there plan to breed ostriches in the zoo over the next few years?

6. When will the red squirrels be moving in to their new enclosure?

7. Are there any plans to re-introduce camels back in to the zoo?

8. Has there ever been any Andean Bear Cubs born at the zoo before?

9. How many penguins is there?

10. Is the Parma Wallaby still at the Lake Reagion of the zoo because i haven't seen it in the last few days.

11. What species of Marmoset and Tamarin are housed at the zoo (public display and off-show)

Down at the zoo the other day and quick review:

Avenue animal walk: Saw All Antelope species, 9 Bongos out in the exhibit (1 young), No anteater but saw Darwin's Rea and Malayn Tapir were down at the pond in the corner of their exhibit!

Lake : Moloch gibbons very active, Counted 14 flamingos but i think i missed one or two, lots of ducks but saw no Pelicans or Wallbies.

Farm: Saw every species i was meant to see, Pygmy Goats doing well and good to see the wee one out and about. Red Squirrel enclosure coming on weel and saw Capybara, Crowned Lemur and Ruffed lemur in their enclosure too.

Reptile House: Saw Pancake tortoises, Mediterranean Tortoises and RTed Footed Tortoises, Iguana of some sort, few speies of snake, Box Turtle. chameleon and some lizards (not sure what species they were).

Quite a lot of Sitatunga and saw a small one, must of been born at the zoo. Red Kangaroos out and about in their exhibit and the colombian spider monkeys around their climbing frame with 2 coscorba swan in the moat.

Andean Bears: One in the Pool and the other on the Frame!

Giraffes, Zebras and Ostriches all doing well. Everyone was enjoying the new viewing platform i must say!!!

Asian Elephant out in their enclosure and Visayan Waty Piglets coming along well two.

Red Titi Monkeys Doing Well, Only saw emperor Tamarins running around. Monkey feeding time so didnt get a good look but all seemed to be doing well in the house. Goodfellow's Tre Kangaroo sleeping and no sign of the Sifakas.

Chimps lazing around indoors with one or twoo outside on a platform. Also saw maned wolf, gorillas, fossa but didn't See Temminck's Golden Cat!

One Coati out in the exhibit, lion tailed macaques being very entertaining (as ever), saw one cheetah in the shade hiding. For a change i didn't see any vicuna outside but the malayan sun bears and Red River Hog were lying in the sun. No Red Ruffed Lemur

Tigers eating when we arrived and the African Wild Dogs were running around and jumping at trees!! Barbary Lion roaring and running around the enclosure. Saw one red panda but it went into the box after a short period of time!

Penguins and Sea Lions doing well, White Railed Sea Eagles both visible but no Otters (kinda disappointed)!!!

Had to skip the Bird park o i could see the rainforest house before it closed- No Sloth but saw jacana, crowned pigeon, nicobar pigeon, bats and a few other bird species. Saw a few prairie dogs but children were in the enclosure disappointingly. Walk through aviary was closed!! Not sure whyy though!!!!

Any way had a good day and it was the first time i saw the tapirs in ages!!! :)

6. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

I believe the male was born at Belfast.

7. zoogiraffe

@ Mr Monkey Man,Belfast no longer keep Black-footed Cat or Linne's Two-toed Sloth.The current Male Spectacled Bear was born at the zoo many years ago.As for the other questions some of your answers you will get them if you look on zootierlist or ISIS!While the others you will have to wait and see what the zoo brings in over the next few years!

8. Mr MonkeyMan

Do you know why belfast no longer keep the cats or sloth??

9. zoogiraffe

Yes but its not my place to say if the staff at Belfast haven't felt the need to post it on here,then neither do I!!!

10. Mr MonkeyMan

Please !!!

On zootierliste it says on belfasts old inventory red panda and i couldn't see them on the new inventory so they musn't have them anymore either?? do they?? :confused:

11. zoogiraffe

Sorry it doesn't matter how nicely you plead or ask the answer is still NO,the reason for this is out of respect for the trust that the staff,I know at Belfast have in the fact that they can tell me stuff knowing its not going to end up being posted all over this site!!

Last edited: 21 Aug 2011
  12. Mr MonkeyMan

I rspect belfast zoo's trust in you.. :)

13. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

Did you try looking for one in the enclosure, I can assure you Rua is in there ;)

14. Mr MonkeyMan

I was there the other day and the keepers were in at the panda boxes???

15. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

Cleaning his nest box out and feeding him, Rua spends most of his time high up in the trees and can be tricky to spot some days 384.JPG

16. Mr MonkeyMan

Good to know he's still there :D

17. Mr MonkeyMan

Yesterday Quays the Male Lion celebrated his Birthday at the Zoo ( 1oth September )

18. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So I know this was from a number of years ago and that Belfast is mainly purebred Rothschild but do we know what happened to these individuals? Did Moon ever move to South Lakes?

P.S these ages were in 2009 so I'm guessing have died but if anyone could clarify?

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  19. masonstar

masonstar Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Giraffe Erin died in november 2012...last photos i found are month before.Ballymoon her last
    male calf died in 2019 so last photos 2018 - lost track. So never moved away i think.
    Niamhs last photos i found are in august 2021 - so she must died september oder later 2021.
    Her daughter Ballycotton still there.
    Maves last photos i found are april 2018 - so then think she died 2018.
    Neja or Naja is a purebred she is still in the stock also her daughters Ballyclaire (2020) and Bellysally (2023)

Wisp O' Mist likes this.