Join our zoo community

Give the Entrance a name

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zebraduiker, 8 Mar 2009.

1. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Since a few years, it nothing special,that animal exhibits at german zoos get names, so Makasi Simba,Kiawara,Ponogoland,Borgori-wald,Yukon Bay and so on.

But now Magdeburg Zoo is seeking a name for its new main entrance, which will be ready in summer...The name should be an animal similar name, so my suggestion is " Maungatautari Kaka", an endangered parrot species from new Zealand. Sounds very exotic.

Another suggestion is " Tamarin-Gate " ,because tamarins and marmosets once were an speciality of the zoo.

What comes next, names for the toilets ?

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ladies and Gents is very popular.

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but this makes me think of the famous story told of B.T. Barnum.
    Here it is summarized from the Ringling Bros. site:

In 1841, Barnum purchased Scudder's American Museum on Broadway in New York City. He exhibited "500,000 natural and artificial curiosities from every corner of the globe," and kept traffic moving through the museum with a sign that read, "This way to the egress" -- "egress" was another word for exit, and Barnum's patrons would have to pay another quarter to reenter the Museum!

Maybe the gate should be called "Huge Success" or "Entrance to Wealth" ?

4. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Tamarin Gate sounds like a controversy sounding the tamarins :D

I believe Toronto Zoo's courtyard/entrance was/is called Peacock Alley . . . Even if the peacocks went wherever they want to. As the first animal anyone sees is Mikisi, the Bald Eagle, perhaps a better name would be Eagle Alley!

5. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Reminds me of how SD Wild Animal Park's monorail got its name:
    snopes.com: Wgasa