Join our zoo community

Going to India this year. I would appreciate some advice on Indian Zoos

Discussion in 'India' started by Rhinoceros, 20 May 2011.

1. Rhinoceros

Rhinoceros Member

I will be in India later this year (as well as some other Asian Countries which I have visited before, it’s just my first time in India!) and while I am there I would like to visit one or maybe two zoos.

Can anyone who has visited any Zoos in India provide me with a little guidance? There are obviously a bunch on endemics which I would like to see and any advice on which zoo/zoos would be best for this would be much appreciated.

I am also spending a week Bird Spotting and trekking in Assam. I haven’t made any firm plans but perhaps anyone who has done this could offer share their experiences with me.

Thanks in advance!

2. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well I can only speak on behalf of the New Delhi Zoo. I heard they had four-horned antelope, which was enough for me to warrant a visit (especially since I was passing through Delhi anyways). When I got there I was pleasantly surprised to also find some rare locals such as Golden Jackals, Lesser Indian Civets, Hoolock Gibbons, Stump-tailed Macaques, Bonnet Macaques, Himalayan Gorals, Indian Gazelle, White Phase of Blackbuck as well as some other species not overly common in zoos like Gharials, Striped Hyenas, Hog Deer and Swamp Deer.

I would also suggest a Safari if you had time. I went to Bandhavgarh National Park based on its large population of Tigers...and I wasn't disappointed. I saw Tigers 9 times over 4 days, at one point a mom with 3 young adults. I also saw a leopard, axis deer, sambar deer, indian muntjac, rhesus macaques, hanuman langurs, wild boar, indian mongoose, some local bats, and a plethora of indian birds.

Also you might be able to search around this website to find what you might be looking for: Welcome to Official Website of Central Zoo Authority

enjoy ur trip!! and take lots of pictures!!!
    btw what other Asian countries are you going to?

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

First: which parts of the country are you travelling (makes an awful heck of a difference if you telling us)?

4. Rhinoceros

Rhinoceros Member

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Giant Eland, Thanks for posting a link to the Zoo Authority website, I was aware of it but I had been told the inventory system on the site could not be trusted!
    I will certainly be in Delhi and now I have had confirmation that there are indeed Hoolock Gibbons and Chinkara I will pay the zoo a visit! How recently were you at the zoo and were there any Four Horned Antelope? What is the standard of animal accommodation like?

I do indeed intend to visit a National Park or two. At the moment I am definitely spending a week at Chitwan in Nepal. Other countries I intend to visit are Indonesia and Malaysia.

KB, We will be travelling around central and Western India.

I would very much like to see a Ganges River Dolphin (obviously in the wild), where would I stand the best chance?

5. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was there in March of 2008. Only remember seeing 1 four horned antelope at the Delhi Zoo...not sure if it's still there. I've posted pictures, it was definitely the highlight of the zoo for me!

As far as the animal accommodations, I haven't been to any other zoos in 3rd world countries, so I don't have anything to compare to. Most animals had sizable exhibits I suppose.

I'm sure Chitwan will be a great time! If you go to Indonesia and Malaysia what are your plans? Any zoo's in those countries you intend to visit?

I would've loved to see Ganges River Dolphins! I didn't have enough time to try for that; I wish you luck on seeing them! And on the rest of ur trip!

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoos worth a visit - well you come through New Delhi anyways - that would be in some proximity to your itinerary:
    1. Assam State Zoo, Guwahati, Assam.
    2. Sanjay Gandhi Bio Park, Patna, Bihar.
    3. Alipore Zoo, Calcutta, West Bengal.

Best zoos IMO:
    1. S. Chamarajendra Zoo, Mysore, Karnataka.
    2. Nehru Zoo, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
    3. Padmaja Naidu Zoo, Darjeeling, West Bengal.
    4. Sepahijala Zoo, Tripura (West), Tripura.

As far as wildlife parks is concerned:
    1. Kaziranga National Park, Assam.
    2. Royal Manas National Park / Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Assam.
    3. Bandhavgarh National Park, Madhya Pradesh.
    4. Corbett National Park, Uttarakhand.

4. Buxa Wildlife Sanctuary

There are also several wonderful wildlife reserve to take in (one known for its wild buffalo - no, not the gaur ... - Laokhowa W.S. Allthough, you are also likely to see them at both Kaziranga and Manas).

Any ideas there?

Best wishes,

K.B.

7. Rhinoceros

Rhinoceros Member

Thank you again for your replies.

Giant Eland, I'll be visiting a couple of National Parks in Indonesia but haven’t finalised which ones yet! I'll probably do the Singapore Zoos.

KB, Unfortunately the National Parks of Assam are closed because of the Monsoon during the time of my visit. I'm not sure about Bandhavgarh and have been considering Corbett National Park.
    Have you yourself been to any of the Zoos you list? What could I expect at each Zoo? (a brief description of highlights would be great!)

As already mentioned we would very much like to see River Dolphins is there anywhere which is renowned as a favourable location?

Thanks again