Join our zoo community

Gorilla at Buenos Aires Zoo

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by tempesurfing, 12 Oct 2008.

1. tempesurfing

tempesurfing New Member

Does anybody know the name of the old Gorilla who is in a building with a plexiglass window?

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Buenos Aires Zoo has given up keeping higher primates last year or so. Both orangs, gorilla and I believe chimps have been sent on elsewhere. Their exhibit - be it a little rundown - has been turned into a showcase for tropical rainforest and environmental awareness.

The entire zoo is slowly being transformed into a native species zoo. They have quite a few native species breeding programmes for giant anteater, maned wolves, vicuna, pudu and others. For several species they have zoo research projects tied with in situ conservation initiatives (maned wolf, Andean condor, pudu and vicuna).

When I was there in 2007 they had just opened a native and exotic deer species compound to showcase how exotic deer species have been out-competing the local species. They had some fallow and red deer as well as brocket deer from northern Argentina.

Though the zoo obviously lacked big municipal investment, it was really getting on with transforming the zoo into a facility that is involved in conservation breeding and educational initiatives. If some of you have an idea why not don them several 1,000's of dollares!!!??? :D

3. tempesurfing

tempesurfing New Member

Good news

That is good news. But I need to know the name of the old gorilla that used to be there. I was there in 2006. The Gorilla had been there for 25 years, I was wondering if anybody knew what its name is.

4. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member