Join our zoo community

Mogo Wildlife Park Gorillas at Mogo Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 1 Aug 2013.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

From the official Mogo Zoo Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....173327499399154.40862.155940037804567&type=1

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

3. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures and getting a better look at the exhibit. From what I can see on the video, it doesn't look huge- but then neither was the enclosure at Taronga.
    From the look of the photos, Mahale and Kipenzi look a little nervous, sticking to their mothers. I hope they all settle in quickly.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From the video, they look pretty relaxed for new arrivals, and that includes the older juvenile too.

The enclosure looks a lot larger to me than they had at Taronga too!

5. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

taronga was long and narrow. the enclosure at mogo is a bit bigger. three high walls and a glass front.

6. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Did it have much work done on it to change it from a chimpanzee enclosure?

7. boof

Last time I was at mogo, june last year, it had cheetahs in it.

8. Pertinax

And for a smaller group of 3 adults and 2 young,, so potentially a bit more space for them?

9. boof

yes. plenty of room for them compared to taronga if the group stays at 5.

10. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male, Mahale has moved out in preparation for his journey to New Zealand. Quote from Mogo's Facebook:

Western Lowland Gorilla, Mahale fondly know as the Prankster
    moved out from his family home at Mogo Zoo and is on his way to bachelor quarters with his brothers at Orana Wildlife Sanctuary in New Zealand. All the staff at Mogo Zoo will miss the 'Prankster and his antics'

12. Jabiru96

Mogo Zoo has announced the sad death of female gorilla Mouila on Facebook :(:

It is with much sadness that we announce the passing of Mouila, a senior member of the gorilla troop. Mouila was in her twilight years and had a range of age related health issues. She was being closely monitored by our senior veterinarian and our health management team. Mouila, Kibabu, Kipenzi, Kriba and Mahale arrived at Mogo Zoo two years ago from Taronga Zoo. They originated from Apenhuel and arrived in 1996 as part of the international breeding program. The rest of the group are adjusting well, and we are giving them some time, and space to adjust to the passing of Mouila. She was a great mother and grandmother and Mouila touched the hearts of many around the world. She will be missed.

13. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was at the zoo today and only a Silverback and female with a 3-4yo were out on exhibit. They came out from night quarters collected some food from an earlier scatter feed and re

14. Jabiru96

That would be silverback Kibabu, adult female Kriba (Mouila's oldest daughter) and Kibabu and Kriba's daughter Kipenzi.

15. Pertinax

Presumably Kipenzi in a few years (say four) time will move back to Taronga, perhaps being replaced at Mogo by Frala?

16. Jabiru96

I don't think so personally. Frala is well integrated into Kibali's troop, is producing offspring with him, and seems quite content in her new position that I think taking her away from the Taronga group wouldn't be fair on both her and the other group members. I have a feeling Kipenzi will be shipped out to Europe somewhere when she is old enough.

17. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kibabu is 38 years old. Given the lifespan of silverbacks is typically shorter than that of females, I'd say it's unlikely he'd live more than another four years, maybe six maximum. By this time, Kipenzi will be 8-10 years old and of breeding age. In my opinion, Mogo will probably retain Kriba and Kipenzi, and look to import a new male to breed with Kipenzi, and most likely a new female of similar age to Kipenzi.

Frala wouldn't be transitioned until Fubumi was old enough to be separated from her, and I see no benefit to shifting her out of Kibali's troop at Taronga so I would imagine she'd stay put. She could potentially raise at least one more offspring in her time there.

18. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Alternatively, I suppose following Kibabu's death, Mogo Zoo may send Kipenzi (and Kriba if still alive to Melbourne Zoo). They have recently exported two females, and one has died, so they will have plenty of space. Yuska is getting on in her years and unlikely to live much longer.

This would leave Mogo Zoo with no gorillas in around 6 years time, and open to the possibility of holding a Bachelor troop. Mjuku (2014) and Fubumi (2015) at Taronga will be 7 and 6 years old, and one of them at least may have a younger brother by then, that could follow them to Mogo in time....

19. Pertinax

Example of a pretty open-ended situation where things will no doubt depend on what happens first to the oldest animals.

Interesting that Yuska is the only Gorilla alive that was imported directly from the wild to Australia.

20. Jabiru96

Female G-Anne from Melbourne Zoo has arrived and been successful introduced to the group:

Mogo now has 1.3 again (male Kibabu, females Kriba, Kipenzi and G-Anne).