Join our zoo community

Gorillas Haven

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bwindi, 14 Jul 2008.

1. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

I was googling and discovered Gorilla Haven was being mentioned, so I thought I'd chime in, to answer questions and/or clarify some things.

Specifically, OLIVER, who will be 20 in October, is indeed deaf and alone, although we are working hard to get him some gorilla company asap. JOE, our 45 year male, is also alone and loving it.

For now, Oliver lives with 2 African pygmy goats, who have seemed to keep him from getting too bored, and his hair plucking has reduced/stopped since their intro a year ago.

Construction - argh - we're doing all this ourselves - no zoo architects, no engineers - everything is designed and built by us and local contractors. We are AZA certified and everyone agrees facilities are second to none. But without funds from government, businesses or the zoos themselves, we have had to stop construction, while we fund raise.

For more info, check Gorilla Haven Home Page ....I'll look forward to reading from everyone - I have a hunch I know most of the gorilla people (zoo man - yeah, hi Stuart darling!) ...:) Jane Dewar, Founder, Gorilla Haven

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jane- hi.

1. Have you an idea of approximately how many surplus gorillas there are currently in US zoos which could potentially find their way to Gorilla Haven if your building work was complete?

2. And are there any urgent cases where establishments are looking to rehome Gorillas with you soon/now?

3. I'm really surprised these zoos can't contribute funds if the end result will benefit them as well as their gorillas, too.:confused:

Last edited: 16 Jul 2008
  3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome to Zoobeat. I am a regular visitor to your website and I greatly admire your work for Joe and Oliver and for all your other anthropoid acquaintances.

Alan

4. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Jane, was wondering if you were aware of this site.

That's great news about Oliver. Fancy a gorilla and goats who would have thought?? Must be something in that mountain air!

I have read that he has taken over there box, good on him.

How are the day tours going Jane?
    I know there are allot of people here, who would love the oportunity to visit Gorilla Haven.

Stuart R Webster

Stuart R Webster

5. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

Some Gorilla Haven answers

Resending 21Jul08

>I tried to answer this directly online, but the site was closed for repairs!
    > Hopefully this email reply will suffice ....
    >
    > Hi Pertinax - are you named after the wonderful silverback at Paignton???
    > :)
    >
    > 1. Have you an idea of approximately how many surplus gorillas there are
    > currently in US zoos which could potentially find their way to Gorilla Haven
    > if your building work was complete?
    >
    > The number of GH candidates, as I call them, changes all the time, but as
    > soon as we get another villa up and running, we could move Oliver to Bonz
    > villa (designed for 1 silverback) and be able to take 2 gorillas in Emma
    > Villa, where Oliver currently resides, which has an extra cage and is
    > larger, than the other 3 villas. Emma Villa was designed to house 2
    > silverbacks used to living together. I'd prefer not to name names, but if
    > all 4 of the gorilla villas** were operational, they'd be filled.
    >
    > **These are buildings with indoor and outdoor cages opening onto
    > sectioned-off areas of the 8.5 acre habitat.
    >
    > The group building could take 4 to 6 unrelated males to do intro's, OR a
    > full family group -- it will have 7 night dens and a 50x50 foot indoor day
    > room, opening onto the habitat. If/when zoos renovate, instead of breaking
    > up their family groups, they could ship them all to GH, along with a keeper,
    > and then move them back when the new facilities are ready.
    >
    > 2. And are there any urgent cases where establishments are looking to rehome
    > Gorillas with you soon/now?
    >
    > Not as "urgent" as Joe's situation was, but yes, there are a couple out
    > there who need to be moved. Thankfully, I was pleased to see many of these
    > already taken care of by the gorilla SSP, so former GH candidates are now
    > moved into better housing situations - ie: Mwelu is now at Memphis from Gulf
    > Breeze; Koga is in Buffalo from Memphis. Some candidates weren't so lucky -
    > like Milt, or Kubatiza of Topeka, who died during a routine anesthesia in
    > preparation for his move to Erie. But things change all the time and I get
    > emails from Europe and the USA asking if/when we can take their "problem"
    > gorillas.
    >
    > 3. I'm really surprised these zoos can't contribute funds if the end result
    > will benefit them too.:confused:
    >
    > LOL. Since Gorilla Haven is built/designed by a "gorilla nut" (me) and my
    > team, we have a lot to prove. We're not a zoo and don't "own" any of the
    > animals here - we're merely a Club Mediterranean for them. Zoos should be
    > paying a per diem to use GH, so we're not a "dumping ground" which some
    > feared we'd become. And perhaps that will happen in the future, but to get
    > Joe here, we agreed to pay everything. Bronx paid for Oliver's transport
    > from New York to GH, but that's it.
    >
    > When I asked what a fair per diem would be, one curator at a well known,
    > large US zoo told me most zoo directors would rather leave a male/s in a
    > holding den than shell out money to move him and keep him at GH - it's all
    > business and money-money-money. I hope this is a cynical/false opinion, but
    > somehow I think we need to educate the zoos better as to just what GH is and
    > can do to help the zoos.
    >
    > We're only 4 people at the moment: me, my husband Steuart, Kelly - former
    > lead keeper from Buffalo, NY and Pete Halliday - 25 yrs Howletts' lead
    > keeper - and attending AZA meetings, etc, is difficult, but we're working on
    > explaining GH better to the decision makers. Many who have been here, still
    > don't get it, and think we just take males (untrue) or won't let the
    > gorillas go back to a zoo (untrue), etc.
    >
    > Sigh. I hope that answers your questions. If not, ask some more! Jane
    >

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Jul 2008
  6. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

Gorillas and Recycling

eBay Store - Gorilla Sacks: Messenger Bags, Accessories Bags, Market Bags

Hi all,

Just an example of how one person can make a difference ... the lady running this business came to one of the Gorilla Haven fund-raising tours earlier this month, and told us how she started a business making hand bags from recycled vinyl from billboards ... she named the business after gorillas, who she wants to help.

Have a look and if you think it's appropriate, let your zoo gift shop buyers know about this product too ... They may not keep the Ebay store, but you can also find more at www.gorillasacks.com ....

As an added bonus, some proceeds will go to help Gorilla Haven, which means gorillas in general, so have a look and see what you think!

Jane

7. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Woo hoo, hi Jane!! I have spoken to you briefly before and am on the yahoo lists, good to see you here :)

8. Pertinax

Last edited: 22 Jul 2008
  9. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

All male gorilla groups

If you don't hold me to this (most is off the top of my head), here's where there are all male gorilla groups in North America's population. Since all male groups change constantly, I've listed the last # of males in the all male groups last time I knew, but this may not mean they're still together ...

Also I think the SSP wants all zoos to be able to house both all male and family groups, so some zoos with large populations (Atlanta, Bronx, Louisville, etc) change all the time, and may or may not have bona fide all male groups, as much as transitioning all male groups, which will change... I've indicated the zoos only housing males, if that helps too.

1. Granby - Quebec - 5 males (JUST males)
    2. Santa Barbara, CA - 2 males (JUST males)
    3. Birmingham, AL - 2 males til one died recently. (JUST males)
    4. Los Angeles, CA - 3 males
    5. Gulf Breeze, FL - 2 males (down from 3) and a female
    6. Jacksonville, FL - 3 males (down from 4) (JUST males)
    7. Disney, FL - 4 males together (down from 5).
    8. Atlanta, GA - 3 to 6 males - they have up to 12 males in total and groups are changing all the time, but have had one of the longest running all male groups yet.
    9. Wichita, KS - Sedgwick County Zoo - 8 males in 2 or 3 groups. (JUST males)
    10. Louisville, KY - Another one that changes -5 or so males in all male group
    11. Boston, MA - not sure if it's an all male group or not - 2 or 3 males.
    12. Detroit, MI - 3 males (JUST males)
    13. St. Paul, MN - Como Zoo 3 males (JUST males)
    14. Kansas City, MO - 4 males - at least 2 groups (JUST males)
    15. St. Louis, MO - 4 males (JUST males)
    16. Omaha, NE - another big ever changing male groups - 5 or 8 males??
    17. Cleveland, OH - 2 males (down from 4) (JUST males)
    18. Columbus, OH - changing - maybe 2 to 4 males?
    19. Riverbanks, SC - 3 males (JUST males)
    20. Knoxville, TN - 3 males - 2 groups, I think (JUST males)
    21. Milwaukee, WI - 3 males?

Hope this helps! Jane

10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I really love what you are doing there, the place looks great from the photo's on the website.

Welcome to the forums

11. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Jane,

I learned about Gorilla Haven long ago. Good to see you here! :)

12. Pertinax

male groups

Many thanks for the list and I had no idea there were so many!! :eek: I'm not surprised you are not short of possible candidates, as I imagine not all of these are harmonious groups and there must be a number of incompatable/isolated cases? :(

You're probably aware there are far fewer male groups in Europe- apart from Port Lympne there's Paignton(4) La Boisierre in France(4/5) Opole in Poland(3) and Melbourne- who are included in EEP- set up a threesome last year with ex breeding male 'Motaba' and his two sons(3). I can't think of any others at present though obviously there are still growing males which will be need to leave groups in due course.

Its very few compared to the US. Perhaps that's why you get 'enquiries' from Europe as well?

I look on your website too so have been following your developments...

13. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

All male gorilla groups

Is the group in Teneriffe still intact or are they disbanded? Back when Gorilla Haven was just an idea, the only places who had all male groups were there and St. Louis (circa 1990-1993) ...

Cost is probably another reason we don't get too many inquiries from Europe ...

The most frustrating thing is that we've invested our life savings into this and we aren't the gazillionaires folk think we are, so construction is on hold til we regroup and figure out fund raising ideas. But I'm a firm believer in if you do things for the right reasons, they will succeed somehow, so "this too shall pass!"

Thanks to the others who posted "welcomes" on the forum. Can't believe I missed this all this time - LOL! Jane

14. Pertinax

oops, I forgot Tenerife- apart from Port Lympne this was Europe's first male group- its still going strong as far as I know with the five males; Schorsh, Noel, Polepole, Rafiki and Mayaabu.

This Forum is Australian in origin and has grown enormously since I first posted on it about 18 months ago. My first posting was gorilla-related- about the lone silverback 'Rigo' at Melbourne(who is now in with their girls).

15. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

Rigo - what a guy! & Japan & Gorillas

I haven't been to Oz, but have many friends there and hope to get there one day ... oh, I also have many HUMAN friends there too!

Isn't G-Ann with Rigo now? She's a love - real feisty gal (like me) ....I got an email from the keepers in Melbourne telling me it was working out, slowly but surely. I have an old poster of Rigo - met his kid, Yukky (or Ya Kwanza) in Jersey shortly after he took over for Jambo (where I met and bonded with G-Ann) ... but hope to meet Rigo one day.

What do all you folk know about the status of gorillas in Japan, including some recently imported from Oz?? Just curious.

Finally, assuming you all know there are 2 all gorilla e-groups - one for/by keepers (altho most anyone can join) and another for/by groupies or gorilla fans, which usually is much more interesting.

Jane

16. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

Gorilla Haven on Atlanta TV

Video

The local CBS station in Atlanta ran a piece on GH this morning, found online at the above link.

I wish it had been a bit warmer (it was only 95 degrees that day) and that I had been a bit sweatier or more dishelved**, but try not to look at those parts and enjoy the gorillas, which is, after all, what it's all about!

**read deep sarcasm here, I had hoped they'd have left me out of the clips altogether!

Jane Dewar

17. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Great story, hopefully it will get some donations rolling in and some long term sponsors.

18. Pertinax

Rigo- as far as I know he's living with all the females(Yuska, G.anne, Julia & Jumato- Betsi died last year) since around July last year. I'm not sure there has been any mating though... g.Anne is a strange lady but very individual.

I've seen Rigo about three times. He used to be a superb male but he's turned into something of an 'old man' now- still, he's in a much better situation now than he was previously. The best hope for continuing his line may lie with his grandson Mapema (born Jersey, then Paignton) now with females in Duisburg, Germany.

Ya Kwanza had a testicular operation last year. Sadly his daughter 'Ya Pili' died last year too.

I forgot two other 'male' situations in Europe- La Palmyre, France & Fasano, Italy- each has two males living together(La Palmyre has a small breeding group also).

Two of the younger Sydney males went to join groups in Japan- I can't remember where off the top of my head.

I wasn't aware of the other Gorilla forums. Do you have the addresses?

19. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

They are yahoo groups, so you get email. One is gorillakeepers and the other is gorillagroupies.

20. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

Gorilla info

Jo was right - both the keeper and the groupies groups are on yahoo and can be joined that way.

I'm also publisher of the Gorilla Gazette, which is available online by subscription ... to subscribe send the following:

1. Your full name
    2. Mailing address
    3. Email address
    4. Affiliation (ie: zoo keeper, student, fan, etc)

Email me directly, please (instead of to this newsgroup) at [email protected]

Jane