Join our zoo community

Houston Zoo Gorillas of the African Rain Forest

Discussion in 'United States' started by BlackRhino, 20 Jan 2014.

1. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

Has anyone researched this exhibit? Looks like it may be one of the best new exhibits to open this decade and reminds me a lot of Congo Gorilla Forest at the Bronx Zoo, although there are some distinct differences. The 5 minute video does a walk through animation of the exhibit and it looks amazing. I believe it was designed by the Portico group, which has done many great exhibits in the past, although I am not sure how I feel about their recent developments at the Los Angeles Zoo. Anyways, would love to know what everyone else thinks.

Gorillas of the African Forest – HOUSTON ZOO – NATURALLY WILD

2. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

Heres the google maps view: http://goo.gl/maps/JByF8 .

- The site is being cleared with the moats constructed and a berm of trees in place. The exhibit seems like it will be nice but not on the level of Bronx or Disney. It firstly lacks the integration of other species such as okapi, or smaller primates. Secondly you are looking into the gorillas space, not integrated into it. Also the exhibit will not be able to hold a huge group of gorillas as is done in bronx and atlanta.

3. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Thank you, for the aerial map, uszoo. It looks, long and narrow. Will the Gorillas even enjoy the trees and plantings? Or will they just be hot-wired off? Hope for them to enjoy it, not get zapped. Glad they are letting the trees and plantings take root, though. Once the visitor areas are added, I wonder if the gorillas can escape view and find solace? I feel bad the Chimps got nothing like the Gorillas are getting. A pit with cement trees vs. a sloping yard with real ones.

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Yes it is The Portico Group and yes the animals will have access to most of the space

5. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's been extensively discussed on this thread:

http://www.zoochat.com/22/50-million-african-forest-exhibit-95779/index6.html

This is only phase 2 of a much larger development, so yes there are and will be additional animals in this exhibit complex. Also, if you looked at the plans you would notice that red river hogs will be included in this phase of construction.

6. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member

We have been interested in this project for awhile now

Team Tapir223