Join our zoo community

Great Hoof-Stock/Antelope Enclosures/Collection

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Kudu21, 17 Jan 2010.

1. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why do they have fallow deer in the kudu yard and the North American section? That seems like strange places to have fallow deer.

2. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

I think they just have lots of deer and the kudu yard and horse yard are big, so they put them into those yards. Most Detroiters don't care, nor notice, soo they don't care about the geographical location

3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as a pachyderm.

4. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

True, Outside strict biological classification, the term "pachyderm" is commonly used to describe elephants, rhinoceroses, and hippopotamuses.

From Google

5. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

The term Pachyderm, along with the sound of other people eating, is one of my big pet peeves. Those animals are not related to each other at all, so we can stop using that nearly two century old taxonomic faux pas now.

6. laduec

laduec Member

I am usually all for keeping to taxonomy, but in captivity, isn't the term pachyderm useful? They require more similar care among each other than with other species (a lot of zoos organize keepers into a pachyderm section, if possible). I don't think that using the term in a non-scientific context is inappropriate.

But besides that, I think that the Dallas Zoo's monorail loop has a good selection of hoof stock, especially the way that they are presented.

7. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump this thread, but if anyone is interested, here is a list of other hoofstock species that were either at Toronto Zoo or that they planned to get in the past, those species include

Pere davids deer
    Axis deer
    Hog deer
    Saiga
    Springbok
    Blackbuck
    Cuviers gazelle
    Mountain gazelle
    Goitered gazelle
    Blesbok
    Addax
    Waterbuck
    Lechwe
    Kob
    Giant eland
    Congo buffalo
    Nilgai
    Serow (Dont know exactly which species)
    Kulan
    Brazilian tapir

Going back to your lists

As for the Plains zebra, did they manage to get both Damara and Chapmans or just one of them ?

As for the Dwarf water buffalo, did they really have Anoas, or do you mean Congo buffalo, those are also known as Dwarf forest buffalo

As for the Manchurian sika deer, I saw Dybowski sika deer listed on one of their old plans, Dybowski and Manchurian are two separate subspecies, did they get both of them or just one of them ?

As for Duikers, which species did they want to get ?

8. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo

Being a Cleveland Zoo cardholder, I visit regularly and know what is where.
    There are no-
    Kirk's dik-dik. It was between the old elephant exhibit and Lorikeet Landing in Australian Adventure and left for Elephant Crossing.
    Nile Hippopotamus. Blackie was taken off exhibit because of Elephant Crossing and died off-exhibit in the zoo's giraffe barn.
    Red-flanked duiker. There were yellow-flanked duikers before EC, between the flamingos/lions and the koalas.
    Slender-horned gazelle. I think the African Plains has Thomson's.
    Thorold's deer. These have been replaced with the onagers.
    Tufted deer. Not visiting Northern Trek or PCA much at all, I am not sure if the zoo still has these. They used to be hidden.