Join our zoo community

Great Hoof-Stock/Antelope Enclosures/Collection

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Kudu21, 17 Jan 2010.

1. Safari Park

Safari Park Well-Known Member

dexter cattle, gayal, gaur, ankole watusi, scottish highlander, belted galloway, banteng, probably more....i've heard there was indian rhino but i'm not sure.

2. jedibiscuits

jedibiscuits Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... Mountain zebra, hartebeest, European bison, turs, Spanish ibex, serows, tahrs, rhebok, reedbuck, chamois, bushbuck, roe deer, brocket deer, barasingha, or rusa.

I know a lot of places probably don't have some of these but I'm searching around. At the 777 Ranch in Texas there's a few of these but the others I'm hoping I'll find at a ranch or something near San Antonio since that's the area I'll be in for other ranches.

I'll definitely check into those other places. Thanks!

3. jedibiscuits

The NBJ Zoological Park isn't open to the public so is there any other ranch or place in Texas with chamois?

4. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

5. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I guess I'll put in my own suggestions for those looking for rare and/or large hoof-stock collections.

Firstly, my local zoo, the Cincinnati Zoo. The Cincinnati Zoo is pretty good hoof-stock wise. They have many rare species. They don't have the largest collection, though it is still pretty good compared to some others.Wildlife Canyon is wonderful. Sichuan Takins, Slender-horn Gazelles, Przewalski's Horses, and Sumatran Rhinoceroses all share side-by-side yards. The only disappointing part of Wildlife Canyon is that they have a yard that is home to a single Domestic Bactrian Camel, that could be held by another rarer endangered species. It'd be great if they could move him to the children's zoo. He's really sweet and looks kinda lonely in the yard all by himself. He'd be a great addition to a yard in the renovated children's zoo, but no so much the rare animal yards. As well they have and extensive collection of Red River Hogs. I love RRH's and all, but you see them every where. I'd really like to see the zoo get a rarer species of hog. Also, there is a yard for Bennett's Wallaby and Emus. This was the former Tufted Deer and before that Zebra Duiker yard. Flamingo Cove is home to Mountain Bongos, Yellow-backed Duikers, Okapis, and Grevy's Zebras, along with African waterfowl. Of course there is also Rhino Reserve with Black and Indian Rhinoceroses and Giraffe Ridge with Masai Giraffes. Their children's zoo has some interesting animals for a children's zoo. Besides the basic Nigerian Dwarf Goats, there are Dexter Cattle, Pot-bellied Pigs and Jacob's Sheep. In the next few years an African Savannah exhibit will be built and hopefully some new, interesting hoof-stock species will be joing the Giant Eland herd.

Second, is The Wilds. The Wilds is a 10,000 acre wild animal park outside of Canton, Ohio. The Wilds focuses mainly on endangered hoof stock species but in the past few years they have brought in several endangered medium-sized carnivores, Cheetahs, Dholes, and African Wild Dogs. The habitats for the animals at The Wilds are massive and very naturalistic. As well, the animals are kept in very large numbers. You will see herds of animals instead of just a few like you'd see in a standard zoo. The species include, American Bison, Pere David's Deer, Persian Onager, Wild Bactrian Camel According to the tour guides any ways), Masai Giraffe, Reticulated Giraffe, Baringo Giraffe, Indian Rhinoceros, Southern White Rhinoceros, Sichuan Takin, Indochinese Sika Deer, Central Chinese Goral, Przewalski's Wild Horse, Banteng, Fringe-eared Oryx, Bactrian Deer, Scimitar-horned Oryx, Common Sable Antelope, Common Eland, Grevy's Zebra, and Burmese Brow-antlered Deer.

Hopefully when Columbus's 70 acre African Savannah opens I will have another collection to write about.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2010
  6. Kudu21

I didn't have time earlier when I posted the other two, so here's my other suggestion/review what ever you want to call it.

Ok. Another great hoof-stock collection is that of the Memphis Zoo. The hoofed animals at the zoo are spread out mainly among four sections, the African Veldt, Round Barn, China, and Teton Trek. I'll start with Teton Trek. This exhibit just opened last year so I have not seen this exhibit in person. The only hoof-stock species located in this area is the Roosevelt Elk. Next is China. There are only two hoof-stock species in this section, and both are quite rare in zoos, the Pere David's Deer and the Hog Deer. The African Veldt holds most of the zoo's hoofed animals. There are yards for Reticulated Giraffes, Bontebok, Kirk's Dik-Diks, Southern White Rhinoceroses, and Klipspringers. Now these little guys are found all over the zoo in yards in atleast three sections. As well, they have mixed species yards for Scimitar-horned Oryx and Grant's Zebra and Nile Lechwe, Ostrich, and East African Crowned Crane. Lastly there is the Round Barn. The Round Barn was originally the stable for the Memphis Police Department's Mounted Police Horses. The species located here include Gerenuk, Addra Gazelle, Mountain Bongo, Warthog, Yellow-backed Duiker, Red River Hog, Kirk's Dik-dik, and those ever present Klipspringers. As well the zoo has Caspian Horses, Yucatan Minature Pigs, and Minature Donkeys among other domestic hoofed animals in the Children's Zoo and a small (more like tiny) exhibit for Nile Hippos. Luckily, the hippos will soon be receiving a new exhibit along with Nile Crocs and Okapis. As well, those magical reappearing Klipspringers are yet again present in Cat Country along with Reeve's Muntjac.

Oh! I just checked the Cincinnati Zoo's website and it says that they now have added Llamas, Alpacas, and Babydoll Sheep to the Children's Zoo.

So for the final species count:

Cincinnati Zoo ~ 19
    The Wilds ~ 21
    Memphis Zoo ~ 23

Last edited: 9 Apr 2010
  7. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Is this hoof-stock species in general? or rare (not common) hoof-stock species?

If it is just hoof-stock in general then the Los Angeles Zoo is right up there with 33 species without counting the domestic ones in the petting zoo.

The LA Zoo species list:

Royal Antelope (very shy, so super hard to see)
    Lowland Anoa
    Babirusa
    Mountain Bongo
    Greater Malay Chevrotain
    Calamian Deer
    Tufted Deer
    Chinese Water Deer (off exhibit until Pachyderm Forest opens)
    Black Duiker
    Red-flanked Duiker
    Yellow-backed Duiker
    Giant Eland
    Speke's Gazelle
    Steenbok (Not sure if at the zoo anymore)
    Gerenuk
    Masai Giraffe
    Central Chinese Goral
    Hippo
    Nubian Ibex
    Tadjik Markhor
    Reeve's Muntjac
    Okapi
    Chacoan Peccary
    Red River Hog
    Visayan Warty Pig
    Peninsular Pronghorn
    Southern Pudu (off exhibit)
    Indian Rhino
    Japanese Serow
    Desert Bighorn Sheep
    Sichuan Takin
    Baird's Tapir (off exhibit)
    Mountain Tapir
    Grevy's Zebra

The zoo is also interested in obtaining Barbary Deer, Siberian Musk Deer, and Philippine Spotted Deer in the near future.

8. Kudu21

Yeah, it was just hoof-stock in general, including the domestic species.

Wow. The Los Angeles Zoo has been on my list of zoos I want to visit for a long time. These zoos, besides The Wilds, are all quite smaller than the Los Angeles Zoo and don't have room for as many hoof-stock species when they still have extensive collections of other species along with the limited space. The Memphis Zoo is 76 acres and the Cincinnati Zoo is around 70 acres. Though The Wilds is 10,000 acres, instead of and extensive collection, though they are working on it, they keep animals in large numbers and they keep rare animals. I believe that they actually have about 100 American Bison and around 70 Pere David's Deer.

9. Kudu21

I decided I'd write about two other zoos that I've been to that have pretty good hoof-stock collections. Now these two zoos don't have as large of collections as the previous zoos I've wrote about, but they do have pretty rare species.

I'll start off with the Louisville Zoo. I'm sure many of you have heard of the rotating Islands exhibits. In this area there are two hoof-stock species the Babirusa and the Malayan Tapir. The zoo's new exhibit, Glacier Run will be home to a herd of Caribou. The African Savannah and Kopje section is home to the rest of the species. Located here are yards for Southern White Rhinoceroses, Addax, Mountain Bongos (They had the largest and darkest bull Bongo I've ever seen. He an amazing sight to behold) Klipspringers, Dromedaries, Mhorr Gazelles, Warthogs, Masai Giraffes, and Hartmann's Mountain Zebras. The African Village Petting Corral is also home to Nigerian Dwarf Goats and Domestic Donkeys along with some African Spurred Tortoises. The Gorilla Forest area is home to a great habitat for Pygmy Hippos. As well, the South American section of the zoo is home to a huge grassy yard for Guanacos and Greater Rheas.

Next is the Cleveland Metro Park Zoo. First is the Northern Trek section of the zoo. Here you have yards for Bactrian Camels and Eurasian Reindeer. As well, there are yards for Thorold's Deer and Tufted Deer mixed with several species of birds. When I went there were Reeve's Muntjac in the yard with the Tufted Deer but they aren't listed on the website. In the Australian Outback section there are Southdown Sheep and Dromedary Camels. In the famous Rainforest building, there is an exhibit for Malayan Chevrotains. Last is the African Savannah. In this section there are yards for Grant's Zebras, Kirk's Dik-diks, Red Flanked Duikers, Bontebok, Black Rhinoceroses, Masai Giraffes, and Slender-horn Gazelles. The zoo also has an elderly Nile Hippopotamus named Blackie that was moved to "retirement" in the Giraffe Barn when the zoo broke ground on Elephant Crossing.

Now I would write more about the exhibits themselves but I haven't been to most of the these zoos in several years. Now I could, how ever write about the exhibits at the Cincinnati Zoo as I visit there often.

Final Species Count:

Memphis Zoo: 23
    The Wilds: 21
    Cincinnati Zoo: 19
    Louisville Zoo: 16
    Cleveland Metro Park Zoo: 15

Species List:

Memphis Zoo:

Addra Gazelle
    Bontebok
    Caspian Horse
    Dairy Goat
    Gerenuk
    Grant's Zebra
    Hog Deer
    Jersey Cattle
    Kirk's Dik-Dik
    Klipspringer
    Minature Donkey
    Mountain Bongo
    Nile Hippopotamus
    Nile Lechwe
    Pere David's Deer
    Red River Hog
    Reeve's Muntjac
    Reticulated Giraffe
    Roosevelt Elk
    Scimitar-horned Oryx
    Southern White Rhinoceros
    Warthog
    Yellow-backed Duiker
    Yucatan Minature Pig

The Wilds:

American Bison
    Bactrian Deer
    Baringo Giraffe
    Burmese Brow-antlered Deer
    Central Chinese Goral
    Common Eland
    Common Sable Antelope
    Fringe-eared Oryx
    Grevy's Zebra
    Indian Rhinoceros
    Indochinese Sika Deer
    Javan Banteng
    Masai Giraffe
    Pere David's Deer
    Persian Onager
    Przewalski's Wild Horse
    Reticulated Giraffe
    Scimitar-horned Oryx
    Sichuan Takin
    Wild Bactrian Camel

Cincinnati Zoo:

Alpaca
    Babydoll Sheep
    Black Rhinoceros
    Dexter Cattle
    Domestic Bactrian Camel
    Grevy’s Zebra
    Indian Rhinoceros
    Jacob Sheep
    Llama
    Masai Giraffe
    Mountain Bongo
    Nigerian Dwarf Goat
    Okapi
    Przewalski’s Wild Horse
    Red River Hog
    Slender-horned Gazelle
    Sumatran Rhinoceros
    Sichuan Takin
    Yellow-backed Duiker

Louisville Zoo:

Addax
    Babirusa
    Caribou
    Domestic Donkey
    Dromedary Camel
    Guanaco
    Hartemann's Mountain Zebra
    Klipspringer
    Malayan Tapir
    Masai Giraffe
    Mhorr Gazelle
    Mountain Bongo
    Nigerian Dwarf Goat
    Pygmy Hippopotamus
    Southern White Rhinoceros
    Warthog

Cleveland Metro Park Zoo:

Black Rhinoceros
    Bontebok
    Dromedary Camel
    Domestic Bactrian Camel
    Eurasian Reindeer
    Grant's Zebra
    Kirk's Dik-dik
    Klipspringer
    Malayan Chevrotain
    Masai Giraffe
    Nile Hippopotamus
    Red-flanked Duiker
    Slender-horned Gazelle
    Southdown Sheep
    Thorold's Deer
    Tufted Deer

10. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Kudu21, thank you for the excellent hoofstock reports and numbers!

11. kbaker116

Does anyone have an updated list of ungulates that are at San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park?

12. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Even though the Jacksonville Zoo doesn't have a great hoof-stock collection like how Kudu21 had describe above. The zoo does have great enclosure for the majority of them. The zoo use to have a pair of Cape Buffalo(we had the Big Five until we traded them for Okapi :/ ), 3 Sitatunga including a bright orange male, and Reeve's Muntjacs. Most of the hoofstock are in Africa section in the 2 excellent mixed species yards. One hold the herd of Eastern Bongos(the zoo are very successful in breeding this species) in a very green and great yard with Southern Ground Hornbills and a lone male Impala. The other yard use to hold the Sitatungas but now holds the White Rhinos and the Greater Kudus. For the others those, the Grevy's Zebra live in an average yard with grass finally growing. The Okapis live in a okay yard with at least 5 trees and grass growing rapidly underfoot. The Warthogs live in a average yard that is pretty much just dirt with plants protected by hotwire. For the other hoofstocks in the zoo, the Pudu live in the excellent Emerald Forest Aviary found in ROJ but the Baird's Tapir live in an abosutely too small exhibit with Capybara and White-Faced Saki. The White Tailed Deer live in an adequate exhibit with Sandhill Crane, but she is living as the zoo's only deer since her herd died off. Yet I have forgotten the Giraffes in the excellent Giraffe Overlook Area in a great yard with Kopje Rocks spread out in the yard where the Kilpspringer use to lived but now in the Rift Valley Aviary(where I strongly disagree with). The Speke's Gazelle(who breed very well) are suppose to be introduce into the giraffe enclosure but I have seen no progress with this. Giraffe Overlook use to hold Soemmerring's Gazelle when it just open with at least 2 babies at the zoo(they were quite energetic), then the female Kudus and the Kilpspringers. Even though the zoo doesn't have the best collection but does have adequate to great exhibits for majority of their hoofstock.

13. jedibiscuits

African wild ass
    Grevy's zebra
    Kiang
    Przewalski's wild horse
    Onager
    White rhino
    Black rhino
    Greater one-horned rhino
    Addax
    Impala
    Barbary sheep
    Springbok
    Blackbuck
    Gaur
    Banteng
    Nilgai
    Markhor
    Nubian ibex (Savanna Safari Africa only)
    Black duiker
    Yellow-backed duiker
    Blue wildebeest
    Bontebok/blesbok
    Red-fronted gazelle
    Thomson's gazelle
    Slender-horned gazelle
    Goitered gazelle
    Roan antelope
    Sable antelope
    Waterbuck
    Kob
    Lechwe
    Nile lechwe
    Gerenuk
    Kirk's dik dik
    Dama gazelle
    Grant's gazelle
    Soemmerring's gazelle
    Scimitar-horned oryx
    Beisa oryx
    Gemsbok
    Arabian oryx
    Mouflon/urial
    Steenbok
    African buffalo
    Giant eland
    Common eland
    Nyala
    Bongo
    Sitatunga
    Greater kudu
    Barbary red deer
    Chital
    Hog deer
    Sika
    Pere David's deer
    Mule deer (wild)
    White-lipped deer
    Barasingha
    Brow-antlered deer
    Sambar deer
    Giraffe
    Okapi
    Warthog
    Red river hog

(Asian animals and some others can only be seen on special tours... if you have any particular interests let me know and i can tell you how to see them.)

14. kbaker116

Well I was hoping to find what species they had off exhibit too, like their lone Saiga.

If I was to visit the park what tour would you recommend? I would hope to see as much as I could. However I didn't want to pay extra just so I could feed a few giraffes.

15. ungulatepark

ungulatepark Member

iam interested in who has the largest collection private and public of hoofstock?

16. kbaker116

The largest collection I have heard about is Waters Ranch run by wealthy business man Lou Waters. He doesn't trade much with other places and it will be awhile until much will leave the collection. He has roughly some 150 Greater Kudu, 75 Roan, etc. I don't know much about the place only that it is very large. As far as public San Diego's Wild Animal Park I would think was and probably still is the largest public collection.

17. ungulatepark

ungulatepark Member

As for pure numbers...........what about Brad kelleys places?
    \

18. kbaker116

I am not quite sure. He owns Rum Creek Center for Tropical Ungulates right? At least 40 Anoa, and at least 80 Banteng just to name a few numbers I saw on ISIS.

19. Fossa dude

Fossa dude Well-Known Member

Denver Zoo Had a really large hoof stock exhibit but know halve of it is going to be a exhibit called Asian Tropics. It opens in 2012. Here is what they have now.

Grevy's Zebra
    Giraffe
    Dromedary Camels
    Bactrian Camels
    Mongolian Wild Horse
    Okapi
    Bongo
    Eland
    Lesser Kudu
    Warthog
    Gerenuk
    Cape Buffalo
    Dall Sheep
    Bighorn Sheep

They used to have

Yak
    American Bison
    Caribou
    White Lipped Deer
    Waterbuck
    Musk Ox
    Mishmi Takin
    Watusi Cattle

20. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

do you know what happened to their Mishmi Takin?