Join our zoo community

Great Hoof-Stock/Antelope Enclosures/Collection

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Kudu21, 17 Jan 2010.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This exhibit now holds rheas, not sure where the Chacoan peccaries have gone.

Back in my youth, the Reid Park Zoo had nilgai and blackbuck in what is now the Grevy's zebra yard.

The WAP didn't actually lose too many African species. The only zebra they ever had in field exhibits in recent history were the Hartmann's zebras, and they were precious few.

2. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

The WAP didn't actually lose too many African species. The only zebra they ever had in field exhibits in recent history were the Hartmann's zebras, and they were precious few.[/QUOTE]

the san diego wild animal park used to have grevys zebras in the field exhibet but no time in recent history, the reason that didint work is because grevys zebras arent solitary like hartmanns mountain zebras and grevys zebras will pick fights in herds and not solitarily

3. bowie

bowie Active Member

I think that Dallas has a good collection of hoof-stock. Also San Antonio.
    My favorite are moose which can be seen at Colorado Springs.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2012
  4. jackieo

jackieo Well-Known Member

Minnesota Zoo
    • American Bison
    • Bactrian Camel
    • Caribou
    • Domestic Cow (Ayrshire, Brown Swiss, Dutch Belted, Guernsey, Holstein, & Jersey)
    • Domestic Goat (Saanen Dairy Goat, Pygmy, & French-Alpine Dairy Goat)
    • Domestic Horse (American Cream Draft Horse & Percheron)
    • Goitered Gazelle
    • Goral
    • Przewalski's Horse
    • Moose
    • Musk Ox
    • Pronghorn
    • Sheep (Shetland)
    • Takin
    • Tapir (Malayan)
    • Visayan Warty Pig
    • Wild Boar

**They do own two Giraffes that live in a different facility and they only have them at the zoo during summer months.

5. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Sorry about not having a hoofstock list... I do have a question, though.

For subspecies of the Dama gazelle- are there 3 subspecies or 2? I know Mhorr gazelles are the ones that are mostly brown, but what's the difference between Addras and Damas (that is if there are 3 subspecies)?

6. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As a species, Nanger dama is known as either the Dama or Addra Gazelle. There are "possibly" three recognized subspecies.

Nanger dama dama - The Dama Gazelle (Extinct - If it was truly a subspecies at all)
    Nanger dama ruficollis - The Addra or Red-necked Gazelle (Critically Endangered)
    Nanger dama mhorr - The Mhorr Gazelle (Extinct in the Wild)

7. AnaheimZoo

So if n. d. dama was a recognized subspecies, what were/are the differences that separate it? Is it physical/genetical differences, or distributional differences?

I know (although I'm not an expert on animal classification) that ruficollis and mhorr are separate subspecies because of their distribution (or former distribution, in mhorr's case), ruficollis being the eastern and mhorr the most western subspecies. Does their coloration have anything to do with them being different subspecies? Just curious. :)

8. ungulate nerd

@Jackieo

the minnesota zoo also had nilgiri tahr at one point, what ever happened to them ?

9. bowie

bowie Active Member

no answer

I am not sure why your thread came to my e-mail. I don't know the answer, but I didn't want to be rude. I will say that last week, I went to the Dallas zoo and was happy to zebras and impalas together with the elephants.

10. condor

condor Well-Known Member

You need both. By default, subspecies can't be sympatric (occur together, except at the very borders of their distribution where they may meet) and subspecies have to differ from each other beyond having different distributions (e.g., have been shown to differ genetically or in appearance).

N. d. dama, the nominal subspecies, is certainly a valid subspecies. If ANY other subspecies is recognised the nominate is ALWAYS valid. The question is if N. d. dama and the very similar N. d. mhorr are separate subspecies or just variations of one subspecies. If only one, the valid name is N. d. dama and the name N. d. mhorr becomes a synonym. N. d. mhorr is said to have a thicker red line on the thighs and a bit more red on the lower flanks than N. d. dama but these differences, if consistent and not just a cline/individual variations, are small. If all three races are recognised as valid it is N. d. mhorr in the west (Morocco to Senegal), N. d. dama in the center (Mali to Chad) and N. d. ruficollis in the east (Chad and perhaps Sudan). If N. d. dama and N. d. mhorr are found to be synonymous, it is N. d. dama in the west and center and N. d. ruficollis in the east. In recent years few biologists have worked in the south Sahara/Sahel and it is a huge region where it is easy to miss a few gazelles but it appears that tiny wild populations remain in Mali (N. d. dama), Niger (N. d. dama) and Chad (N. d. ruficollis). Wild populations may survive in other countries but at present this is unconfirmed. A few countries in the region have semi-wild groups that are the result of reintroductions.

Scroll down for photos of wild N. d. dama in Niger Rapport-missionASS02-09b

11. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you for explaining this better than I did. It would have helped had I put, "if it's even a subspecies at all," by the right subspecies! I thought I had it next to N.d.mhorr, but apparently I didn't. I attempted to use my iPhone to post that, so it figures that something messed up. I really can't stand browsing the Internet on my phone.

12. AnaheimZoo

Thank you so much for the information, condor. I was really quite confused about that, and when Wikipedia and ultimateungulate don't have much info on the subspecies, then I'm pretty much lost unless I ask someone on this forum. :D

13. AnaheimZoo

Also, condor and/or Kudu21, do N. d. dama and N. d. ruficollis have as drastic color-pattern differences between them as ruficollis and mhorr do? Mhorr gazelles are almost entirely brown, while ruficollis are also known as red-necked, even though the reddish-brown sometimes goes past the shoulder. What color pattern does N. d. dama have?

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

have a look at the link in condor's post, it has some photos of wild N. d. dama

15. AnaheimZoo

Woah! Had a little moment there... Completely forgot about it! Thanks :p

Boy, do I feel stupid... :rolleyes:

16. GibbonGuy

GibbonGuy Member

Wow. That is impressive!

17. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

Where are the bongos? Also, how do you know this?

18. ungulate nerd

19. ungulate nerd

@ jedibiscuits what happened to the

Chinese water deer
    Calamian deer
    Tufted deer
    Central chinese goral
    Japanese serow
    Topi
    European bison
    Javan rusa
    Alati wapiti
    Himalayan tahr
    Siberian ibex
    Oribi
    British red deer
    Central european red deer
    Sunda wild boar
    Kafue lechwe
    malayan tapir

and other hoofstock that got phased out, but if these species still remain at the park how can i get a chance to see them or interact with them

and about the urials is it only transcapsian or do they still have afghan also
    and about the blesbok/bontebok they are two different species
    and what other ungulate species does the wild animal park no longer have but used to house ?

20. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

LisbonĀ“s list is also very good, if you are interested:

Grevy's Zebra
    Southern White Rhinoceros
    Indian Rhinoceros
    Lowland Tapir
    Collared Peccary
    Western Pygmy Hippopotamus
    Common Hippopotamus
    Llama
    Bactrian Camel