Join our zoo community

SeaWorld Orlando Great whites at Seaworld

Discussion in 'United States' started by Vulpes, 22 Jun 2010.

1. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Monterey aquarium have displayed great whites but I wonder have seaworld ever considered keeping them? I would imagine that they would be a massive attraction!

2. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Several aquariums, closed and still operating, have displayed Great White Sharks but Monterey Bay is the only one that has had anything you could call success with them. Keeping them alive more than two days I understand is easier said than done. As to SeaWorld, I may have read somewhere that the San Diego one did at some point, but it would have been many years ago and as unsuccessful as most other attempts, sadly.

3. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

if i was in charge of those things at seaworld and had a budget like theres and was told to think up a new attraction, I would be investing heavily in researching keeping them alive! can you imagine the crowds that would flock to see "jaws"!!

4. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

SeaWorld San Diego and the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco have both had great whites for very brief periods in the 1980s.

5. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

interesting! I would be interested to hear more.

6. geomorph

All I know is that they had them usually less than 20 days. I believe the one at Steinhart refused to feed and was also bumping into the walls; it was kept in a large tank (demolished) that was a giant thin ring with a current that was viewed from its interior side. There were many species of large pelagic fish in there I think. It may have been an experiment to see if that kind of tank setup - allowing for continuous swimming without turning - was the magic key for exhibiting the species. Apparently not, it was released!

7. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Jaws would certainly be a great attraction, I'm curious though, where would aquariums/ marine parks get Great whites?
    Having them less for 20 days? did this mean they were captured beforehand?
    I assume that the aquarium would only keep the species temporarily as Great whites can grow to massive size, correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Californian establishments need to go no further than to their own seas, Great Whites inhabit the Pacific and they love to hang out along the coast of California because of the Sea Lions and Elephant Seals.

They were indeed captured beforehand, they have only been exhibited in singles and very rarely, so they have of course never bred or given birth in captivity. In fact, even if there are many amazing footage of Great Whites in the wild, from South Africa to Australia and other places, their mating has never been filmed as far as I know.

The Georgia Aquarium has succeeded with Whale Sharks, who knows if Great White Sharks will be the next on their list of challenges.

9. geomorph

10. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Very interesting! Monterey seem to have cracked their husbandry and appear to be releasing them because of the detrimental affect they were having on their tank mates.

11. WildEncounters

WildEncounters Member

Orlando? not a chance. Monterey Bay is and should be the only aquarium for great whites, there will never be great whites at Seaworld orlando. Possibility of having them at san diego, that park is right on the sea front, and so is monterey. But they can't keep them all that long until they have to be released, I recomend you watch the documentry Oceans behind glass.

12. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That IS very interesting. I'd always assumed (apparently incorrectly) that they just weren't doing well with the captive situation.

Perhaps this means that it would be possible in the future to successfully house great whites in an enclosure of their own where the well-being of non-conspecific tankmates would not be an issue. I'd have to think it would be something to consider with an animal that would be such a huge draw to the public.

13. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Most of Monterey´s have been released because they had attacked other fish in the tank, started showing much aggression or reached a size where they probably would start to attack the other fish soon. But at least 1 of the 5 they have kept was released because they couldn't get it to eat. Lots of developements in shark keeping in the last 10 years. Monterey is the only aquarium to seriously have tried in this period. I guess other aquariums could replicate it but few have very big warm temperate-subtropical tanks and it would also require a good location (for short transport to the aquarium and easy release later). The large shark tanks in almost all aquariums are for tropical sharks and that is to warm for white sharks. In most countries it is a strictly protected species and most aquariums probably wouldn't be allowed to actively try to catch one for the aquarium either. Monterey do a lot of scientific and environmental work and that makes it easier for them to deal with the autorities but even then most of the white sharks they have kept were accidentally caught by local fishermen (not deliberately caught by people working with Monterey). Florida oceans are mostly to warm for great whites. They are very rare there and mostly over deep water where it is colder. I guess the only places where not very rare and caught with some regularity by mistake by fishermen are California, South Africa, south part of Australia and perhaps northwest Mexico and west South America. I don't know if juveniles are seen in all these places because I have heard they are not seen in all parts of its range. The biggest at Monterey was only 1.76 m long when it was released and to have any chance with an adult would require a HUGE aquarium. There are big and professional aquariums in California, South Africa, south part of Australia that perhaps would have a chance with a juvenile great white if they really wanted (and the authorities allowed it) but I don't think there are aquariums that would have a chance in northwest Mexico and west South America.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2010
  14. Trowaman

Trowaman Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What?

None of ya'll have seen Jaws 3?

:D

15. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

^ohh i have ;)