Join our zoo community

Guangzhou Zoological Garden Guangzhou Zoo News

Discussion in 'China' started by FunkyGibbon, 25 Sep 2019.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

There is no news thread for this zoo which is something I want to rectify.

I visited in September 2018. Even on the morning of the day of my visit I was unsure if I would go; I was in Guangzhou for the Chimelong parks. I assumed that in their shadow the city zoo, run by the local government, would have withered into something old and rusty. Happily nothing could be further from the truth.

Although there are still ugly parts of the zoo, much is now very, very good indeed. What I consider one of the key metrics of the health of a developing zoo, signage, is excellent. Keepers could be readily seen and found if not within eyeshot (it baffles me that this is unusual in China). Guangzhou, along with Hangzhou, I consider to be the Chinese zoo most clearly striving towards maintaining objectively high standards in all areas.

As always, photos of this interesting zoo can be found here:

Guangzhou Zoological Garden - ZooChat

I also should give credit to @animalman0341 and @Himimomi, among others, who have also done good work in populating the gallery in recent years.

baboon and Brum like this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Let us hear some news on current comings and goings as Guangzhou City Zoo is in one of PR China's biggest cities!

Thanks for the photos!