Join our zoo community

Guzoo animal farm

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by animalpassions, 19 May 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The "Alma Park Zoo" thread does a good job of comparing two ****** zoos, but as Nigel points out on that thread...no matter what anyone thinks of Alma Park it is far superior to the cesspool that is GuZoo.

2. Isupportzoos

Isupportzoos Member

3. Isupportzoos

Isupportzoos Member

Guzoo is nothing like what you have been told

4. snowleopard

@Isupportzoos: I actually caught the fact that the first page was missed in the initial post, and it is terrible that a wolf was slashed by some unknown and brave fool.

I would dearly love to see some photos that glorify GuZoo and show it to be an amazing place for captive wildlife. I'd be overjoyed to learn that the 400 animals there were in strong and capable hands. But for 29 out of my 32 years I've lived in Canada, and GuZoo is very well known for scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as zoos are concerned. Post your photos and let people at ZooBeat judge for themselves, because so far everyone who is a member here thinks that GuZoo is atrocious. You've seen the comments, and so once you post the new photos anyone who wishes to comment can then do so.

5. Isupportzoos

Isupportzoos Member

Will do-

Robert F. Kennedy wrote: "What is objectionable, what is dangerous about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

6. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

And I believe FDR said, "Even paranoids have enemies"...

7. LOVEWELLRUNZOOS

LOVEWELLRUNZOOS Member

you are being lied to.

Actually it was not the AR as you call them , but a group of people in calgary called the space worker society whom state on there web page that guzoo is sending animals to space habitates , these are apparently friends of guzoo , and i guess they put this up as a joke , however you must know that it was not any AR group who made the space thing up , but friends of the people who operate the zoo

heres the link.

it was just the AR as you call them that discovered this page

Calgary Space Workers Society

just wanted to clear that up , and as far as the wolf goes , they blame that on AR as they call anyone who opposes the going ons at the zoo , however , they have no proof to back that up and with all the metal scraps and old playground equipment in the cages , i would not be surprised if the wolf cut himself on a sharp metal edge .

these people who support this zoo are ruthless , if anyone dislikes guzoo they are labeled as extremists , even those who have never been to a protest and are not members of any groups ...... they never provide any proof , so far i have seen only about 10 photos and 3 short movies from the people supporting this place and calling it wonderful . fact is the place needs to clean up its act , and they dont like the fact that people are starting to see how bad it is and has been for 18 years , they dont like it and they will attack anyone who says anything negative about it , just watch ...wait to read supporters replies to THIS POST . :)

8. snowleopard

Everyone who is even remotely intelligent realizes that GuZoo is a horrible little prison, and anyone who thinks otherwise is quite possibly not sane. One day there may be photos of lush, naturalistic exhibits, but in the meantime GuZoo should be closed down forever. The hundreds of photos available on various websites and reports don't lie. Tiny cages, rusty playground equipment, solitary animals, etc, etc.

9. LOVEWELLRUNZOOS

LOVEWELLRUNZOOS Member

below are just a handful of ignorant responses from guzoo supporters in a facebook group called promoting a good future for guzoo: the ignorance is dumbfounding . i have left out names for privacy reasons , but you could check out the page yourselves for that info

oh and so everyone knows , i am not an animal right activist or extremist , i live in alberta and have my whole life , guzoo has been open since i was very young and has always had many issues , i am concerned for the animals the safety and well being and i am concerned for peoples health and well being . i think guzoo should be closed , but if they made some simple changes like no more taking in animals , no more breeding and some downsizing , i would support them and so would a lot of other people . if i can see that they are trying then i can help , but everytime they breed an animal , they are making the problems worse in every aspect of their zoo

said by a guzoo supporter when a non-supporter suggested raiseing funds for many enclosure at once instead of one at a time

"I think working toward completing one enclosure at a time makes more sense than trying to raise money for numerous enlosures at the same time. I think you would find that you would never get any of them completed. People like to see the progress of what they are working towards. The lion pen has a cost projection of $20000.00. It takes a bit of time and effort to raise that kind of cash for a single pen. FOG has been working on that.
    There is still a ways to go, but it will get there."

said by a guzoo supporter about zoocheck and wspa:

"Zoocheck is only about getting donations for themselves.
    I dealt with them in Ontario and now I see how many kids they have trained out here.
    In ONtario they were doing the same thing with the kids. They actually teach these kids how to go in and set up pics to look there worst. They teach them how to get the angles right.
    I have been bald faced lied to by Zoocheck. That is not an honest organization to me."

"Zoocheck has never helped a single animal.
    That is not what they are about.
    They are all about getting well meaning people to donate money to line their pockets.
    They teach young kids how to demonstrate
    That is where your money goes, and to getting their make believe doctorates."

"do you realize that WSPA and Zoocheck are so biased to the animals rights activists. Zoockeck has stated in the past they will shut ALL zoos before they are done.
    They are all integrated, Zoocheck, WSPA, PETA might as well all be one and the same.
    I have dealt with Zoocheck for about 13 years ."

said by a guzoo supporter about people concerned about the bad situation at guzoo:

"Most of them are on meds for depression and a few other problem"

IGNORANCE IN ALL ITS GLORY

10. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Guzoo

I do not live in Canada , and have not visited Guzoo . Therefore I will make my opinions of this place from the information available to me , whether it be positive or negative .

At this point of time I am not convinced that Guzoo is any good for the animals , regardless how you wish to define the word good .

Guzoo is nothing like what you have been told ......

Yeah ? Do video tapes lie ? Please show us the proof that this place looks after its animals . I have asked several questions about Guzoo a few weeks ago . None of them have been answered .

Robert F. Kennedy wrote ...... well I couldnt give a toss in this case . I also write things -- read this forum . So do many of our other members here .
    We compare zoos ... the best , the good , the average , the poor , and the atrocious -- and from members reports about Guzoo , not to mention videos and a few photos , Guzoo is currently thought of by myself and almost everyone else on this forum as being "atrocious" .

If Guzoo is not an atrocious zoo , please tell me one that is . I would LOVE to see photos , reports and videos of it .

Do you wonder why Zoowatch , PETA and all the other groups seem to attack Guzoo ? Have you ever considered how it actually compares to other zoos in your continent ? Perhaps they give so much attention to this place because it deserves attention by animal activist groups . And in this particular case , I havent seen much evidence to convince me that they are wrong in attacking Guzoo .
    Its nothing to do with gold pavings , or any other pithy excuse you would like to come up with -- its probably the fact that this zoo is a filthy disgrace that tars every decent zoo with its dirty brush .

I have visited another zoo that was in similar state to Guzoos videos/photos
    etc . That was in Kuala Krai in Malaysia .
    I am a zoo fan , but I have nothing good to say about Kuala Krai at all . I dont have very much to praise my nearest zoo with from time to time either
    I think very highly of Hamilton Zoo that was originally a back yard menagerie of motley animals , but now they are a zoo that that city can be proud of .

You can quote me from every president in the US all you like , but how is that going to make me reconsider my views of Guzoo , until you can show us proof that it is really worth supporting ?!

11. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Why is this thread still going..?

Can we all agree that this blight on the zoo landscape should be closed due to:

Its abominable enclosures
    Its history
    Its seeming unwillingness to change

12. animalpassions

animalpassions Member

I never meant to imply that members of this board are ARA's if you took it that way I apologise. I said

Elephants require large spaces and soft flooring or they will develop foot ailments, (comfort)which will cause them great pain. Primates need to live in a group structure and have regular enrichment otherwise they will develop mental problems. (comfort again, free of fear) Carnivores (which? lions sleep 22 hours a day) will often need regular stimulation as they need to hunt, so zoos will often substitute this need with placing food around the enclosure or providing other enrichment oppurtunities. [color]I agree. This is excellent management.[/color]

I worked for the curator of birds and reptiles. It was a very long time ago. I don't remember what anyone told me. The two things I remember clearly were being able to handle a full grown python and seeing a newly hatched penguin chick sitting in a teacup.

My own experience with animals (ie ones I have been in charge of caring for) is with domestic pets and domestic livestock.

Oh oh can someone pass me a crutch?

I believe I already said that somewhere.

Here it is:

"Only by people seeing animals up close can they ever develop any respect for them, respect leads to interest, interest leads to understanding, understanding leads to protection. If zoos were closed to the public, where would the next generation of zookeepers, naturalists and zoologists come from?"

Of course they do. I never suggested otherwise if they are bored and stressed they are not free from pain and fear are they?

Maybe I should have said "pain, fear and stress"

Exactly. Because they are afraid. I said
    If an animal is severely stressed, as in this case the kangaroos obviously were, it is not free from pain and fear is it?

There you go mentioning threats again. I said free from pain and fear.

It send the message that this isn't a multi million dollar facility with a bottomless money pit, it is a converted farm that the owner built with his own two hands and that he is making the best of a bad situation by using innovative methods and (heaven forbid) natural materials such as rocks and logs.

And animals are very, very important. That is one of the reasons zoos are important, so people can develop an appreciation for them, and hopefully want to help and protect them in their natural environments.

Both people and animals should be treated with respect.

Guzoo already does all that stuff, except for the pasta and papier mache I'm a little confused about that. Can you explain more please?

One last point I'd like to make.

I'm sure I read somewhere a reply to my comment about zoos being primarily for people. I can't find it now to quote it here, but it was something to the effect that zoos are primarily for conservation and research not for entertainment.

If that were the case and the "conservation and research" took place in a closed facility, regardless of any accreditations, licenses etc..

1) People would assume something sinister was going on and would hassle the government to close the facility.

2) ALF would attack the facility and the staff.

3) It wouldn't be a "zoo" it would be a "Conservation centre" or a "Research facility"

13. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I think its time we stop this before everyone explodes, Atleast in this thread, maybe we start a new one, where we can discuss this with out shooting everyone down, a poll maybe?

Thread closed....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.